Windows Defender Beta 2 now available

I wrote a review of it.

Downloaded, installed, scanned with it, first impressions :

It looks a lot nicer, cleaner simpler interface.

It needs Automatic Update service running to get definition updates, and downloads them directly through the network connection for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. Not sure if I like that.

It scans a lot slower, especially when scanning archives. It took forever to get through my Call of Duty 2 and Battlefield 2 program folders. Those game installs are loaded with huge archive folders for maps.

Only 8.4 gigs on this drive and it took 23 minutes to scan with a full system scan, spending like 22 and a half minutes on just this drive. It went through my other drive with nothing but 9.5 gigs of mp3 files very quickly.

This thing REALLY wants to run all the time now like an anti-virus. Even when I disable its real time protection, which it has loads of check points for, and close the window, it leaves no icon in the tasktray, but still has two running process's, (MSASCui.exe and MsMpEng.exe), one using 15 megs of memory and the other 5.

I, personally, don't want it running all the time. I don't need it running all the time. It didn't find a single thing because I never get any spyware. I just want it to do the occasional full scan when I tell it to.

It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to shut it down. It installs a whole new service, Windows Defender Service. Maybe if I just stop the service and set its startup type to Manual, and remove the startup entry it created too, ok rebooting to try it, ok not starting with system. Failing to start service when running it, must manually start the service. Ok I manually started the service, running ok now, must manually stop the service to shut it down again, and then end task on the 1 process it still leaves running (MSASCui.exe, using 5 megs of memory) even after shutting down its service.

I'm gonna have to manually start its service everytime I want to use it, and then manually stop its service, and kill the extra process it still leaves, when I'm done. Cause I just don't need it or want it running all the time if I'm gonna scan with it once at month at most.

It really wants to be integrated and run all the time. I don't think I'll mind when its preinstalled into Vista, but this aint Vista, and it should shut down when I want it to. Thats ok I know how to shut it down and how to get it started again when I want to use it.

Pretty impressed with it even tho I don't like how badly it wants to always run. Its Software Explorers thing in its Tools section, and also places a shortcut for in the windows control panel, is pretty impressive. Gives loads of info about everything, every startup item, every running process, every open network connection.

I like it, now that I figured out how to tame it. It has no license expiration date anymore in its about box either.

i get this error every time i try to install

Error 1609.  An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel.

please someone help :s :s

Error 1609.  An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel.

I second that :( I get the exact same error message and it won't install :unsure:

Same here. Maybe it is because my non-english Windows. In my german Windows there is no group named "Users", but one named "Benutzer" (german word for Users). :(

Edit: Oops, what a poor English.

well , i had high hopes , seems to have let down the high expectations generated from AntiSpyware 1.

Here is the first great surprise it gives me , Not the best of the starts i had expected it to make.

post-110450-1139907255_thumb.jpg

An icon :wacko:

Man give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Panda , Norton , Safety Center none of them give me any problems , even Beta1 was never so absurd , but really a big big let down.

I mean how can you detect a simple icon file to be a trojannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :realmad: That is the safety you are going to gurantee to the user?

:o Hey a very very dirty trick popped into my mind , dirty if its true , MS had a great securtiy tool in AntiSpyware 1 . It even protected us from Trojans. Its popularity may have been a threat to OneCare , i mean it was quite secure enough to work along without any antivirus. Recently MS decided on the basis of the OneCare feedback poll that they are gonna integrate an AntiSpyware in OneCare.

Now now , it just came to my mind , that they are gonna lower the security levels of Windows Defender to make the Need for OneCare!!!

I do not think it wil happen , but the first look at Defender made me think so :blink:

What do ya people say?

The same over here!! :angry:

I've had no problems here. Quite like the simple nature of Windows Defender. The only problem that I find is that the Home page looks a bit too empty. So much space is wasted there. The interface, although simplified, is a bit on the dull side unlike Microsoft Antispyware. The Icon for Windows Defender could also be a bit better, why can't they use the old one as there's nothing wrong with that. The RAM usage for me however is very low and scanning is much faster. All in all, a good upgrade though I hope that Microsoft improves the interface a little bit more.

PSG22

I've had no problems here. Quite like the simple nature of Windows Defender. The only problem that I find is that the Home page looks a bit too empty. So much space is wasted there. The interface, although simplified, is a bit on the dull side unlike Microsoft Antispyware. The Icon for Windows Defender could also be a bit better, why can't they use the old one as there's nothing wrong with that. The RAM usage for me however is very low and scanning is much faster. All in all, a good upgrade though I hope that Microsoft improves the interface a little bit more.

PSG22

YES! Yes... Yes! Exactly. The interface looks badly set out and sparse. I was hoping it would be more sensibly designed than the Windows Vista Defender. But its the same look. :pinch: pwnd by microsoft.

The system tray icon will only appear if there is action required from the user. If things are running normally and no action is required (i.e. no threats) then you won't see the icon. This is by design with Windows Defender Beta 2.

New look. New design. New functions. New features and maybe new bugs

This is a quote from Donna a Microsoft MVP.