Windows Defender Beta 2 now available

Well I just installed the program and now it will not update. It gives me a Windows Defender message that says "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update: 0x80240025 :huh:

I even tried a reboot and nothing...

My firewall is off and still no go. Anyone else have the same issue?

I have the same problem and can't figure out how to fix it :(

I found this on DSLReports, and it worked for me to solve the update problem:

Open the command prompt

Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ folder

Execute the following command: msiexec /x AS_Sigs.msi

Check for updates

Microsoft has updated the Known Issues:

• If your computer runs Windows in a language other than English, you might see a message titled "error 1609" when you attempt to install Windows Defender (Beta 2). See this Microsoft Help and Support page for steps to resolve this issue.

• If you attempt to install Windows Defender (Beta 2) on a computer that uses Windows 2000, you might see the following message: "This software requires GDI+. Please load the Windows 2000 Security Software Prerequisite Pack." See this Microsoft Help and Support page for steps to resolve this issue.

• If you try to run a scan while Windows Defender (Beta 2) is downloading definition updates you may receive the following error "Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x80508012. An unexpected problem is preventing the program from scanning your computer for unwanted software. Try to scan your computer again." Try to run a scan again after the definitions have been updated.

• The system tray icon for Windows Defender (Beta 2) will not be visible if no action is needed. This is expected behavior.

• If you uninstall Windows Defender (Beta 2) and then re-install it, Windows Defender (Beta 2) will not be able to receive new definitions until the next definition update is published on Windows Update. Please see this Microsoft Help and Support page for more information.

Also it's a good idea to stay updated on the newsgroups.

Release Notes

see its the little touches like this that make me like microsoft so much this is amazing that they provide such good support for a beta product and offer the support article in 6 different languages!! :)

i doubt you would be able to find many other businesses that would do that for a beta product.

wow i still cant update mine, good work M$

Just manually download Defender Beta 2. When you do, AntiSpyware (Beta 1) will be automatically overwritten and replaced.

ok. i found it. its in the help menu in the About Windows Defender. but still cant find how to have a tray icon. i saw in msconfig, that it start with "-hide", so if it could be removed, maybe there would be a tray icon.

Why are you guys trying to activate the tray icon? The program was designed to run in the background...without user interaction. When it requires your attention, it'll appear in the systray. You're just clogging up your systray with an icon that doesn't serve a purpose/need.

Widows Defender - 0x80240025 :woot:

El error que est? dando, se debe a una pol?tica del sistema, que impide el uso de Windows - Update. La pol?tica en espa?ol es:

Quitar el acceso a todas las caracter?sticas de Windows Update --> No configurado (A menos que Active Directory tenga una pol?tica al respecto)

Se encuentra en:

Configuraci?n del usuario->Plantillas de Windows->Windows Update.

<:whistle:histle:

_____

A politic of Windows, block the Windows Update access to your computer. Please talk with the administrator of active directory or search the politic of Windows Update if you have a personal computer

Widows Defender - 0x80240025 :woot:

El error que est? dando, se debe a una pol?tica del sistema, que impide el uso de Windows - Update. La pol?tica en espa?ol es:

Quitar el acceso a todas las caracter?sticas de Windows Update --> No configurado (A menos que Active Directory tenga una pol?tica al respecto)

Se encuentra en:

Configuraci?n del usuario->Plantillas de Windows->Windows Update.

<:whistle:histle:

_____

A politic of Windows, block the Windows Update access to your computer. Please talk with the administrator of active directory or search the politic of Windows Update if you have a personal computer

What are you trying to say?

• 3 weeks later...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta):

Windows Defender (Beta 2) is the final name for Microsoft’s antispyware solution. Current Windows AntiSpyware (Beta 1) customers will be notified automatically to upgrade.

I wasn't notified to upgrade. I've been using MS antispyware since last year and I never got a notification. I even updated manually a few times recently.

Oh, and I downloaded it, and it won't let me update. It says I have the wrong diskette. WTF? I didn't use any diskettes to install it.

Edited by yisman