'Mark of the Beast' Technology is here

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- Tiny silicon chips were embedded into two workers who volunteered to help test the tagging technology at a surveillance equipment company, an official said Monday.

The Mexico attorney general's office implanted the so-called RFIDs -- for radio frequency identification chips -- in some employees in 2004 to restrict access to secure areas. Implanting them in the workers at CityWatcher.com is believed to be the first use of the technology in living humans in the United States.

Sean Darks, chief executive of the company, also had one of the chips embedded.

"I have one," he said. "I'm not going to ask somebody to do something I wouldn't do myself. None of my employees are forced to get the chip to keep their job."

The chips are the size of a grain of rice and a doctor embedded them in the forearm just under the surface of the skin, Darks said.

They work "like an access card. There's a reader outside the door; you walk up to the reader, put your arm under it, and it opens the door," Darks said.

Darks said the implants don't enable CityWatcher.com to track employees' movements.

"It's a passive chip. It emits no signal whatsoever," Darks said. "It's the same thing as a keycard."

CityWatcher.com has contracts with six cities to provide cameras and Internet monitoring of high-crime areas, Darks said. The company is experimenting with the chips to identify workers with access to vaults where data and images are kept for police departments, he said.

source

This has been going on for some time actually. There are even clubs that let members get these implanted for VIP room access and stuff.

I myself plan to stay as far away from RFID chips as I can, being the stereotypical paranoid, anti-government teenager that I am. :)

I don't want it, but wouldn't be afraid to get it if it became necessary for my job. That said if I ever went on the lamb I'd be cutting it out myself, good thing it's right under the skin of the forearm instead of that damn spot on your back you can't reach.

"Mark of the Beast"?

More like "Flair for the Dramatic".

And this is coming from someone who refuses to get an E-Z Pass because I don't like the idea of someone being able to see what my traveling habits are.

Mmm... well we already have a satanic cult in this country where all the dogs and cats (and quite a few other pets) have been implanted with RFID technology for the last 20 years or so.

Those damn pesky pets are always in the news for their involvement in back magic and human sacrifice.

Anyway you only have to know a very little about RFID technology to know that the codes they generate rarely adds up to anything like 666 - although providing it feeds the myth then why not.

The only reason I would be against them is for privacy reasons - but for security personnel in highly sensitive/secure areas, why not?

GJ

"Mark of the Beast"?

More like "Flair for the Dramatic".

And this is coming from someone who refuses to get an E-Z Pass because I don't like the idea of someone being able to see what my traveling habits are.

Hope you don't have OnStar, either, then. hehe

Hope you don't have OnStar, either, then. hehe

No sir I do not. Nor do I have any GPS type equipment in my car. And my internet usage is protected in a myriad of ways as well. I do use a cell phone however, so I suppose I am trackable.

Call it paranoia but I like to live as far under the radar as possible, at least until I manage to be the proverbial "man", myself.

Personally, I don't see this technology having much point. It's just a proximity access card that's been miniaturised and placed under the skin. If it's passive, rather than active technology, then you can't trace people with it... so why not just give them darned cards rather than messing with peoples bodies?!

:huh: Paranoia ? This is the way evil technology starts. Seemingly harmless, even 'helpful'.

First it will be used 'voluntarily' on some employees, then for this or that 'Security', then on prisoners, soldiers in the field to identify them, and on the poor, to make sure they don't defraud government money. Hospital patients and seniors to make sure they get the right medication. Tag children to prevent abductions ?

Soon it will become universal identification for total control and tracking you.

One day people will wake up and wonder where their freedom has gone. :no:

:huh: Paranoia ? This is the way evil technology starts. Seemingly harmless, even 'helpful'.

First it will be used 'voluntarily' on some employees, then for this or that 'Security', then on prisoners, soldiers in the field to identify them, and on the poor, to make sure they don't defraud government money. Hospital patients and seniors to make sure they get the right medication. Tag children to prevent abductions ?

Soon it will become universal identification for total control and tracking you.

One day people will wake up and wonder where their freedom has gone. :no:

Or possibly anywhere along the line of that slippery slope, there will be the introduction of either some sort of checks and balance system against the monitoring of people. Or a new technological process that will stop this all dead in its track by altering the playing field all over again.

Think about it the RIAA is campaigning hard to burn illegal file sharing, has the trend even so much as slowed? And they often have the law on their side. There is always a counter-measure, always. There has never been nor will there ever be something that is beyond bypassing.

Also labeling any technology evil is wrong. Technology is by its definition ammoral, it is the people who use it that are evil, good or much more often somewhere in the middle.

Unless somebody booted Skynet and forgot to give me the heads-up.

No sir I do not. Nor do I have any GPS type equipment in my car. And my internet usage is protected in a myriad of ways as well. I do use a cell phone however, so I suppose I am trackable.

Call it paranoia but I like to live as far under the radar as possible, at least until I manage to be the proverbial "man", myself.

Well, considering the wiretap issue in the other thread, I agree with you here. :laugh:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/03/305.asp

Case in point. :)

I don't want it, but wouldn't be afraid to get it if it became necessary for my job.

i'd rather quit my job. i don't see why it would ever be necessary.

but actually, some people have been embracing these tiny chips in recent years. they say it makes their lives easier by allowing them to turn on their computer, lights, start electronics, etc. with a wave of a hand. to me, that seems unnecessary.

but actually, some people have been embracing these tiny chips in recent years. they say it makes their lives easier by allowing them to turn on their computer, lights, start electronics, etc. with a wave of a hand. to me, that seems unnecessary.

Unnecessary and well, lazy.

I think it's kinda simple what the benefits are. You can't lose this, meaning no people using your lost card to gain access to anything.

But turning on lights and stuff, that's pretty weak.

But it's right under the skin, you can take it out yourself.

I'm the same way. There was this detective looking for me in relation to a crime related to a car I had donated. He was so exasperated about the process he had to find me when he actually caught up with me, well it was really me who caught up with him because I hated him coming around so mutch (banging on the door).

For me there's no phone, no tv, really no way to get a hold of me, no e-mail anyone has, don't answer the door, he was like 'you're a hard man to get a hold of' and I was thinking 'that's the point.'

Lol, it sounds like he caught up with you more than a few times just that you never answered, that's a little bit different than actually not being able to find you. If they had really wanted you so bad they would have just came in and got you whether you answered the door or not.

You know it does address a new idea that's being forgotten by most people no with email, cell phones, and the like and it's the ability and the right of an individual to be missing. I'm not so against the idea of a chip for work, so long as that's it's only use, but the social security number had a small goal at it's inception as well and now it's the closest thing to a national ID number you can get without being official. Do I really want anyone to know where I am 24/7 whether I'm doing anything wrong or not?

So I'm ok with the idea as long as the chip remains a propriatary closed system that only works at one place, but I don't want to be walking down the street and having advertisements call me by name like Minority Report, I like to dissapear sometimes. With a cell phone I can just leave it at home one day, I don't want to have to cut a chip out of my arm everytime I feel like being left alone.

But hey, it all depends on how it's used if it's just for work fine I'll bite, if the government expands it and decides to make it necessary screw them, I'll be one of the last guys paying in cash for everything.