[95 Clio] Battery Light

Hiya,

I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with a 1995 Clio, recently I had my CD player re-fitted and re-wired back and for some reason since I have being experiencing that my battery light keeps coming on and staying on for different periods of a journey. In the evening after the problem first occured I thought it would be the battery could just need recharging so I put it on charge overnight but on the meter on the unit it said that it was about 96% full anyway but I still left it charging.

Next morning I drove into work, oh same problem battery light appears about 1/2 way on the journey and stays on until I switch the ignition off. I am just wondering if anyone has had the same problem or know's of any reason why it could be doing this. Could the wiring be incorrect, but I want to try and solve this problem as driving through busy town traffic with a car that has a battery light on and *could* break down at any moment doesn't really approve to me.

It would be interesting to see if anyone knows anything here, oh how I cannot wait to get my other car back again. :whistle:

Thanks,

JMann

usally the light means its not getting any power from the alternator (well thats what my cars manuall says anyway)

better hope its just a problem with the wiring/light though becuase If it is the alternator will probably be quite expensive to fix (i think, don't know that much about cars)

The light is more than likely on because of what dragon said, the alternator not producing enough power. If it wasn't then the car wouldn't be running.

Take it to your mechanic or your local Renault dealership, or, check out the wiring schematics for your headunit (should be pretty standard) and do what changed said.

The light is more than likely on because of what dragon said, the alternator not producing enough power. If it wasn't then the car wouldn't be running.

Take it to your mechanic or your local Renault dealership, or, check out the wiring schematics for your headunit (should be pretty standard) and do what changed said.

I think (and this a guess based on what i saw on the topgear episode supercars for under ?10k, becuase one of them had a dead altenerator and thats what happened...) that if the alternator isn't working your electrical systems will just draw their power from the battery, that gives you as long as the battery lasts then your out of power and will be going nowhere... (espcally as most cars thesedays have an electronic engine management system)

but I'm not sure on this becuase I don't know much about cars.. infact my car knowledge extends to put key in, engine starts, car goes and thats about it apart from the odd thing i picked up on but i definatly don't know enough to do anything other than guess.

the alternator charges the battery from the engine, so without it the battery will just drain yes, i dont think it will be this to be honest! Otherwise you probably wont have got as far as you did

Ok just need to recap. :) So do we all think it could be the alternator being the problem or the wiring? I have driven it to college twice each time being about 26 miles and it hasn't broken down yet. Also the transmission turns on first time without a struggle 98% of the time.

So Alternator or Wiring? Sorry finding it a bit difficuilt to work out what everyone is going on about. :p