Drugs found in Olympic Raid

VIENNA (Reuters) - Italian prosecutors found more than 100 syringes and 30 packs of drugs, including asthma drugs and antidepressants, in a raid on Austrian Winter Olympics bases, an Italian prosecutor told Austrian television.

They also seized devices for blood testing and blood transfusions in the raid on Saturday on the country's biathlon and cross-country teams, Austrian state television ORF said on its Web site on Monday, quoting Turin prosecutor Raffaele Guariniello.

ORF also quoted another Turin prosecutor, Marcello Maddalena, as saying the raids were coordinated closely with the International Olympic Committee and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Maddalena said officials tried to avoid disturbing the athletes too much.

"But a raid is a raid," ORF quoted Maddalena as saying. "You cannot announce it in advance, nor can you put on your velvet gloves."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....UTOR.xml&rpc=22

i heard about this, but all they said is that the results will be released in a few days. why don't people get the message yet? is it really that difficult?

OH NO CALL THE POLICE, THE IOC FOUND ASTHMA MEDICATION

Dick Pound of the World Anti-Doping Agency is after just about every athlete. This is the same douchebag that claimed that 1/3 of NHL players were on drugs. First he outs Jose Theodore (presumably to substantiate his above paranoia) for using a hair treatment medicine.

Now he rats out the Austrian ski team to the Italian police based on an association with someone that they suspected but never actually caught of doping his athletes. Guilt by association is good enough for this a-hole.

Well everything sounded pretty routine to me, I mean having blood monitoring equipment, syringes and transfusion equipment is fairly common for any active organization all of that with the exception of the blood monitoring equipment was in my first aid pack in the army.

Seems like a non story thus far, guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement but it seems pretty lame so far.

Well everything sounded pretty routine to me, I mean having blood monitoring equipment, syringes and transfusion equipment is fairly common for any active organization all of that with the exception of the blood monitoring equipment was in my first aid pack in the army.

Army is a little differant, you have that incase you get shot, wounded whatever. A common first aid kit wouldn't have 100 syringes, like ride365 said you up your white blood cell count and it helps boost perfomance because you can get more oxygen into your system and you don't get tired as fast.

Army is a little differant, you have that incase you get shot, wounded whatever. A common first aid kit wouldn't have 100 syringes, like ride365 said you up your white blood cell count and it helps boost perfomance because you can get more oxygen into your system and you don't get tired as fast.

Shot, dehydrated, any kind of injury really, it's not like the only time you'd need a syringe is when you get shot.

It also said for the entire Austrian Winter Olympics base, so that would be the equivilent of a heck of a lot of first aid kits. I still will reserve judgement until more comes out.

Shot, dehydrated, any kind of injury really, it's not like the only time you'd need a syringe is when you get shot.

Yeah, I was just using being shot as an example of how being in the army and injuries assosiated with it have the capability of being much more severe.

Yeah, I was just using being shot as an example of how being in the army and injuries assosiated with it have the capability of being much more severe.

You used "being shot" as an example because no-one on the olympics is really in risk of being shot and it made your point look better, admit it. :devil:

I still think that on the face of it, it's a non issue. Syringes are dirt cheap, used for a variety of things, and lots of times bought in bulk. Hell, we put jello shots in them down here.

Just because they have them I'm not going to say they're doing drugs, they may, but I won't say they are because of some syringes.

Seems like a non story thus far, guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement but it seems pretty lame so far.

Asthma inhalers are stearoids (albuterol, etc.). They can use these as a "hidden" kind of strength booster I would imagine.

You used "being shot" as an example because no-one on the olympics is really in risk of being shot and it made your point look better, admit it. :devil:

Exactly which is a perfect reason why a typical olympian wouldn't need that kind of stuff in a med kit.

There is no need to have those in that kind of med kit. Your right you can't automatically assume they were taking drugs but at the same time its enough evidence to look further into it.