February CTP Build 5308.17

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this build, its so far preaty damn stable for me other then not having proper drivers ( which sucks ) but what are you gonna do.

Why do you people even post crap like this? :no:

You have to know a mod is going to b**ch slap you for saying stuff like that.... I just don't get it. :rolleyes:

he is a goddamn internet gangster

The installation doesn't work for me. Just before it would start installing (right after you select the drive to install on), it shows a message saying "An error occurred while setup was validating the system for installation.". Build 5270 worked fine.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this build, its so far preaty damn stable for me other then not having proper drivers ( which sucks ) but what are you gonna do.

Can you tell me if AIM 5.9 works?

Installed fine and so far its better than 5270 but explorer still keeps crashing lol and I cant get the nvidia ethernet drivers to work. so no internet on the machine when running vista. has anyone found vista graphics drivers for nvidia? they took them off the site...mayb tweaking them for new build?

i didn't pay neither, yet i leeched it off of usenet. i leech like a muther fugger.

"I'm down for warez. Hell ya, look at me! I'm an Internet bada$$! Hey, you, I said pay attention to me d4mmit!!!!1"

hollaaaaaa

You ain't no holla back girl is you? :yes:

is 5308 more responsive/faster than the 5270 build? thanks in advanced.

You tell us, Mr. L337 H4X0r ... you leeched it off Usenet right? You ain't got it installed yet?

Agreed I dont post much. But the Feb. CTP is really interesting to me and the deciding factor between me switching to Linux or staying with Windows since its 99% feature complete. Info is defintitly wanted.

Well, for me, being an old UNIX hat, and using Windows XP Home, I can tell you this - what do you want to do with your machine; if it is basic web surfing, writing letters to aunt pearl and instant messaging, then basically you could run any operating system you wanted, and you'd get the same result.

For me, I have applications that I like using, I don't want replacements, I want the actual application running on the alternative platform - and sorry, none of them are available for Linux/Solaris or FreeBSD.

If I am going to use an alternative operating system again, its going to be because I can run the applications I want, and the OS is superior, the fact that nothing has come along yet which can accomplish such a feet keeps me win Windows land.

I have absolutely no loyalty to Microsoft, I only use it, because it does what I need - if an alternative came along, I'd use it.

Remove the link before you get banned NOW. It's filtered for a reason!

and what reason is that my friend? :rolleyes:

They don't post warez...I wish some people had a clue what they were talking about. :whistle:

Like my 3800+ amd 64 before the processor died, only got rated a 3, and that was with a x800 xl, 1g of ram, 200g hdd, etc...

You have to remember that Windows Vista will still be used for up to 10 years, and your computer hardware in 10 years will be seen as how a 50MHz Windows 95 machine is seen today. The ratings are probably averaged out around what will be average hardware in 2010.

But I don't know how Microsoft are going about this, so I'm probably mistaken.

As for the sidebar, in my opinion it's simply a waste of space.

There is a perfectly good digital clock in the bottom right corner without the need for a giant analogue clock and who needs 'Launcher' when there is already Quick Launch in XP?

I also don't like the thick pointless borders in non-glass windows. I hope they thinnen or remove them.

"I'm down for warez. Hell ya, look at me! I'm an Internet bada$$! Hey, you, I said pay attention to me d4mmit!!!!1"

You ain't no holla back girl is you? :yes:

You tell us, Mr. L337 H4X0r ... you leeched it off Usenet right? You ain't got it installed yet?

Jesus, you're pathetic...

sorry, this may have been addressed already... has the setup time improved at all on this build?? or does it still take a really long time? thanks for any info...

How much space does the full install require? About 5GB or so?

i think it takes 8 GB before it will let you install. as far as how much space it actually takes when the install is over... i'm not sure.

I have a question that concerns Windows Media Player 11 in Windows Vista. How is the performance in WMP11 and is it very easy to navigate? I would also like to know, for those who have a large number of music, can you arrange them by disc number in the player, like iTunes? I would appreciate if the official testers here could answer my question. Thank you for your time.

PSG22

i think it takes 8 GB before it will let you install. as far as how much space it actually takes when the install is over... i'm not sure.

AFAIK it takes about 3.5GB once it's installed, but i think it needs around 8GB during the install for temp stuff... I could be wrong though.

So I have heard, the installs times are about 1/2 of what they were.

I have a question that concerns Windows Media Player 11 in Windows Vista. How is the performance in WMP11 and is it very easy to navigate? I would also like to know, for those who have a large number of music, can you arrange them by disc number in the player, like iTunes? I would appreciate if the official testers here could answer my question. Thank you for your time.

PSG22

Yes, it's quite speedy and quite easy to navigate. Again, AFAIK it's possible to arrange the music by virtually any field (Artist, Album, Year, Disc Number, etc)...I will let you know once I get this build installed.

How much space does the full install require? About 5GB or so?

Windows Vista 5308 x64 took up about 6 gigabytes once installed, not including the paging or hibernation files. Yeah... I was surprised how much space it took up, heck... even used 800! MB of memory. Do expect these figures to decrease for the final product.

I am a fan of Microsoft's products, but Vista seems very unprofessional (ugly interface), very bloated (incredible memory/space requirements), and misguided (many cool features were removed because the average consumer did not understand how to use them).

Although, one cool feature is that whatever drive the OS is installed on becomes C. From XP's point of view, Vista was installed on E drive. From Vista's point of view.. it is installed on C drive. Not sure if this is Vista or the new bootloader (and I'm leaning towards the boot loader).

Setup time, not sure. Honestly. It took me 8 minutes to boot my PC and start the fully-automatic installation. I woke up this morning and it was done, all drivers automatically installed.

Windows Vista 5308 x64 took up about 6 gigabytes once installed, not including the paging or hibernation files. Yeah... I was surprised how much space it took up, heck... even used 800! MB of memory. Do expect these figures to decrease for the final product.

x64 said it requires atleast 12GB partition to even start installation. Finished was about 6.5GB. And yah it does take about 750MB of memory once loaded. I'd say theres alot of room for optimization there unless they're assuming everyone will be running 2+GB ram by the time this comes out lol.