February CTP Build 5308.17

Well I, the ultimate Vista sceptic got a copy of 5308 (through MSDN @ work) and am posting to you now from it!

Looks wise I feel Microsoft are on the right track actually.. it feels very modern and looks quite slick and now i've just added the Nvidia beta drivers it runs a little better..

I feel somewhat lost with some of the changes they've made - layout, etc of many common functions is quite different and would take some getting used to!

Commit charge is quite jaw dropping though - 665MB for the desktop with only one IE window open - Microsoft are gonna need to work on that me thinks!

Well I, the ultimate Vista sceptic got a copy of 5308 (through MSDN @ work) and am posting to you now from it!

Looks wise I feel Microsoft are on the right track actually.. it feels very modern and looks quite slick and now i've just added the Nvidia beta drivers it runs a little better..

I feel somewhat lost with some of the changes they've made - layout, etc of many common functions is quite different and would take some getting used to!

Commit charge is quite jaw dropping though - 665MB for the desktop with only one IE window open - Microsoft are gonna need to work on that me thinks!

Remember that all of the debugging stuff will still be in. this increases memory useage alot.

Yeah.. I appreciate that. You can really feel the overhead though. Whilst my machine isn't exactly a demon, i'd of sort of hoped it'd be able to cope with the OS ok and it doesn't feel mega spritely.

Got all my hardware working ok though - Sil3112A seems to work fine with the old XP drivers so I can get my music off, etc and my graphics are definately hardware accelerated (glass, etc all seem to work) - seems quite nice but i'm not as keen on some of the new front ends to old tasks to make them more user friendly - I guess i'll just have to get used to em as I know Microsoft aren't exactly going to change that! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good question; and these same people are the ones who spend hours cracking the activation as well.

If we want to know who to blame for the rise of activation, its little creeps who can't be bothered getting off their duffer, getting a job, saving up and paying for the damn software.

Ohh Please!

Like every MP3 on your disk is paid for...Why don't you step down off your soapbox. I know many people who D/L games from IRC and if they like them they pay for them.... Ding! Ding!..Reality Check.

the huge transparent window border blows! it takes up to much space and looks butt fugly. worst, then you full screen a windows, the top bar turns black! wtf is up with that? no consistancy at all! i'll take luna over this crap anyday.

what's with the black taskbar and startmenu? it looks so prototype and wierd. the icons looks pretty odd too. there's no color scheme to it. just a bunch of random pictures. vista blows.

the huge transparent window border blows! it takes up to much space and looks butt fugly. worst, then you full screen a windows, the top bar turns black! wtf is up with that? no consistancy at all! i'll take luna over this crap anyday.

what's with the black taskbar and startmenu? it looks so prototype and wierd. the icons looks pretty odd too. there's no color scheme to it. just a bunch of random pictures. vista blows.

Control+Shift+F9=

vista_5270_tpc_024.jpg

Vista Basic, with less butt fugliness...

My ASUS V6J laptop has a Built-In Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 A/B/G miniPCI card, and VISTA isn't recognizing the driver for this. Big "?" next to it.

if you have drivers with installer for the wireless network card you could run setup.exe or whatever it's called in compatibility mode for windows xp sp2,that's how i got most of my drivers working