February CTP Build 5308.17

My vid card is a 128 MB PCI ATI Radeon X300 SE.

Dunno if it'd support Vista though. :unsure:

Also, my computer have 3.0 GHz P4 and 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM.

Would that be enough to support Vista Beta 2 when it comes this April?

512MB ram is too small for it, It will be better if you have 1GB or more...... ;)

Yes the ATi Radeon X300 SE is enough. My friend has it and he tried Vista on it and Aero Glass worked without a hitch. You should be more than okay. Your specs are decent for Vista when it comes out. Does it really come out April?

Oh by the way, it is PCI or PCI-Express?

My friends is the new PCI-Express. I'm guessing thats it since I highly doubt they make a PCI version.

Yes upgrade to 1GB atleast. Other than that, you're all set.

AFAIK, The whole point of the X in ATIs latest cards model numbers was to signify PCI-Express

Honestly 512MB will be enough RAM as long as you don't load too many apps at once.

And yes, what will be designated as Vista Beta 2 is SUPPOSED to come out in april, but that doesn't mean it will for sure. Also it won't be a traditional beta like others have been but a CTP thats been branded a Beta.

First, some people are poor like me :cry: and some people are rich like you are :woot: but I am poor and can't afford a $500.00 graphics card that supports vista, nor do I have enough RAM memory to keep my computer speedy, and have a bad processor which I dont want to screw ANY of this stuff up... I can't afford a new computer either.....

But the ppl also want good looks for cheap prices, ppl aren't going to buy starter edition for $50.00 nor are they going to buy ultimate edition for $500.00, reliability, security, nd stability aren't the only things!!!!!!

Babe, I'm not rich, I'm just a cheapskate :)

This rig, its a standard stock Dell Dimension 8400 box with a ATI Radeon X300 with 128MB video memory, which will run Vista quite nicely - and hey, even if you were to purchase an elcheapo computer - such as the laptop I saw down the road with the embedded ATI Radeon chipset/processor, the speed will still be very good.

Want a better gizmo, work longer hours, save and you'll get there; thats what I did; believe me, when you're working 12 hour days, every pay you can think that you're getting that little bit closer to your target.

AFAIK, The whole point of the X in ATIs latest cards model numbers was to signify PCI-Express

Honestly 512MB will be enough RAM as long as you don't load too many apps at once.

And yes, what will be designated as Vista Beta 2 is SUPPOSED to come out in april, but that doesn't mean it will for sure. Also it won't be a traditional beta like others have been but a CTP thats been branded a Beta.

Actually, the X means 10, as in Radeon 10300, 10600 and 10800. The previous generation was 9200, 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800 (mine :yes:).

There are X800 and X850 AGP cards too.

So what about the VISTA FEBRUARY CTP??? I think we 're getting off-topic again... One with the poor kid that has no money to buy a better pc, one with all the hardware questions... I don't mean to be an *ss, but I think there are other topics where you talk about hardware compatibilities and stuff.

Please don't get me wrong ;)

So what about the VISTA FEBRUARY CTP??? I think we 're getting off-topic again... One with the poor kid that has no money to buy a better pc, one with all the hardware questions... I don't mean to be an *ss, but I think there are other topics where you talk about hardware compatibilities and stuff.

Please don't get me wrong ;)

Agreed I dont post much. But the Feb. CTP is really interesting to me and the deciding factor between me switching to Linux or staying with Windows since its 99% feature complete. Info is defintitly wanted.

Well, this IS a thread related to discussing about Build 5308, and people are going to wANT to know if their computer can handle this new build or not.

So I don't see how asking about compatability and stability of build 5308 with some hardwares as going off topic.

Well, this IS a thread related to discussing about Build 5308, and people are going to wANT to know if their computer can handle this new build or not.

So I don't see how asking about compatability and stability of build 5308 with some hardwares as going off topic.

Well considering hte build isnt out to test yet we can only make assumptions on that based on previouse builds. First things first, discuss when and how the build will be out to testers. Then once out to testers lets discuss its compatibility and how well it runs. Trying to do that backwards is like trying to decide whether or not youll get good milage in a hydrogen car. Not exactly practical considering they arent even really out yet

PEOPLE, MAYBE U DONT UNDERSTAND MAYBE I WANT VISTA AND I WANT THE COOL GRAPHICS BUT MY COMPUTER WAS 2000 BUCKS ND MY MOM WONT GET OVER IT HOW SHE THINKS MY COMPUTER IS NEW WHEN MY COMPUTER SUCKS ASS, GET OVER IT THAT NOT EVERYBODY CAN BUY A GRAPHICS CARD THAT EASILY ND INSTALL IT ND NOT GET IT ALL MESSED UP THIS IS MY FAMILY COMPUTER

Sorry for caps but you make me mad, my laptop was only 500 bucks nd it ONLY HAS 90 SOMETHING MEGA BYTES OF RAM MEMORY..... maybe poor ppl want vista too, nd maybe even me doesnt play a video game so it is not the same as F.E.A.R. so shhhhh up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my desktop computer specs are below --- :

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Compaq Presario 5000

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.70 GHz

512 MB RAM

Geforce 2 MX 400

For goodness sake, you've just destroyed what was beautiful about the English language and I speak Queen's English too :angry: :angry: :angry: . My computer cost more than $2000 3 years ago but I'm not complaining if my computer can support Glass in Vista or not. Although I'm not poor, I'm not rich either. When I asked my parents if they could possibly get me a notebook, I hope that I would be able to receive it but even if I didn't, I won't complain and would just make do with what I have. But my parents, wishing for my success in my studies gave me the notebook and I'm grateful that they could spend so much on me. Where I come from, $2000 is a lot of money and you could by items that are needed much more than a notebook. But I did get it and three years on, I'm using it to post in this forum.

You, judging from your post, are nothing more than a spoiled brat who has got nothing better to do but put up posts that bring no information to the table and I'm disgusted by it. So what if your computer can't run Vista? Just don't run it, it's as simple as that. My Compaq Presario X1000 might not be state of the art, but it can do a hell lot of things than it looks. I'm a Multimedia Student and most of the software used on my notebook are the Adobe series, Macromedia series, Sony Sound Forge, Microsoft Visual Studio, Lightwave 3D and Maya. I wish I could get a more powerful notebook as the programs on my notebook use a lot of RAM, but I'm still grateful that I was even able to have a notebook let alone afford it as it is considered a luxury item here. I don't complain if people at my Uni got more powerful computers than mine. I'm proud of it. It's a wonderful piece of machinery and I have always taken good care of it.

It's people like these that I can't stand. They want the latest and fastest and pester their parents to get it just so they could be the coolest kid on the block. But they've never deserved or earned it. Yet when it comes to not getting what they want, they blow up, blame the parents, blame the neowin members, blame everyone but themselves. Gone are the days when you want something, you have to earn it in order to receive it. Being grateful for receiving something that is 10000 times the amount of your allowance has also gone out the window. I doubt if you're even a Vista beta tester, either through Connect or MSDN, as you seriously got an attitude problem considering you don't respect your mothers decision. It's sad now that these people exist and people such as me have to meet them. I've met clients who are even better than him and that's saying something.

I'm sorry if I rambled on for too long as I wanted to make my point clear and concise. As for the new Windows Vista February CTP, I'm looking forward to the build as much as every TRUE tech fan is and hope that it will bring much more than a revamped interface. I hope that it will be feature complete and eagerly await what info Vista Beta testers can give to the Neowin community.

P.S. My notebook specs for people who wish to know and judge:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz 256 Cache

512MB RAM DDR333

ATi Mobility Radeon 9200 64MB RAM

PSG22

Edited by PSG22

It's people like these that I can't stand. They want the latest and fastest and pester their parents to get it just so they could be the coolest kid on the block. But they've never deserved or earned it. Yet when it comes to not getting what they want, they blow up, blame the parents, blame the neowin members, blame everyone but themselves. Gone are the days when you want something, you have to earn it in order to receive it. Being grateful for receiving something that is 10000 times the amount of your allowance has also gone out the window.

Good god man, thats exactly what I hate aswell. All of these kids (16-18 years old) that have a >$500 GFX cards and don't deserve them. I'm stuck with a Geforce 2 MX here aswell, but dammit I love the thing to death. Served me well for years and years, when the time comes a nice 7800GTX or high end card will be bought with money from WORK.

Good god man, thats exactly what I hate aswell. All of these kids (16-18 years old) that have a >$500 GFX cards and don't deserve them. I'm stuck with a Geforce 2 MX here aswell, but dammit I love the thing to death. Served me well for years and years, when the time comes a nice 7800GTX or high end card will be bought with money from WORK.

Geforce MX 440 for me :rolleyes:

Well considering hte build isnt out to test yet we can only make assumptions on that based on previouse builds. First things first, discuss when and how the build will be out to testers. Then once out to testers lets discuss its compatibility and how well it runs. Trying to do that backwards is like trying to decide whether or not youll get good milage in a hydrogen car. Not exactly practical considering they arent even really out yet

Totally agree! :yes:

As far as the other sub-topic is concerned -that being that spoilt kid who wants a better computer, I am glad to see that we are all men of work, and try to EARN what we want, rather than ask it from someone. I am now 21 years old, and I built my system two years ago, working as a computer technician without a relevant degree, full 8 hours a day for... 300 euros/month. So I saved up for three months and spent it all on my pc, and damn it was worth it. It is still state of the art -kinda :whistle: .

Anyway any news on the main subject?

hasta la vista video cards! :) video cards are a part of the vista interface.. hell they where a part of the windows 3.1 interface to! but times change.. technology changeges.. and thats what this vista february ctp build thread is about.. Tomarrows Technology today! :) I think I speak for just about everyone here when I say we are all eagerly weighting for this build and its following news to be released. Hopefully more nuts and bolts (ground work) has been done. And the os has more of a solid foundation! We dont want another win95/98/me os type work to happen. Vista is built off the server 2003 souce code. And iv seen server 2003 (data center) in action. All I can say is.. holy crap! Iv never seen a celeron computer move faster then a pentium machine untill I saw that os! No wounder it cost $15,500 per copy. But if you want the worlds fastest os.. thier it is! the better it is.. the more it costs..this is usualy the case.. (except for gm products).. As far as vista goes? I hope they take the time to do it right. Windows 2000 was a kick ass os right? how long did it take to make? the win2k video that I saw

said 5 years at 24 hours per day 7 days a week! don't rush it ms.. make it "work" 100% of the time..

well from what iv heard.. so far.. :p

Build 5308 (2006-02-17) - Windows Vista February CTP - Planned for release on February 22, 2006. Microsoft is planning on releasing this build in different product editions, which are mentioned above. Previous builds were only released as Ultimate editions.

this news souce is always updated and changing so its correct and so far this is what it says..

enjoy the new information!

it got delayed.. some rumors day bug fixing.. i say..

Windows Vista February CTP - Planned for release on February 22, 2006. Microsoft is planning on releasing this build in different product editions, which are mentioned above. Previous builds were only released as Ultimate editions.

they where preparing each build version? all 20 or 40 or however many vista versions are going to come out

windows 98 home edition? windows me professional? no sorry it was windows 98.. then windows 98 se.. it din't come in 20 differnt colors.. why should vista? so the company can make more $ 120 billion is not enuf for the company i guess.. oh whatever.. a product with less features to meet the persons needs is nonsence.. as certin featuers do not work and the customer may want it later.. (cd burning for example) the customer will get mad they half to spend more $.. I can understnad a home version and a business version

but thier sould be 2 not 20..

ever seen a isal with 800 differnt brands of tooth paste? ack! choice.. choices.. choices.. :(

with that many choices its easy to pick the rong one. duh.. :blink:

unless your a computer nerd and you know how this stuff works.. :D

i would have to say that it is going to be released either today or tomorrow, however i cannot be certain. All we can do is hope for the best and wait until the conference call later on this morning at 10:30am EST

I'll do ya one better. I still got a fully functioning Voodoo 2 sli setup. I used that for years before I plunged and upgraded everything. The old pc is now a *nix box for playing with. As a kid, I was given somethings because my parents wanted me to have them. Others, I had to get it the old fashioned way, working for it.

I do hope the new build is shaping up nicely. I can't wait.