BearShare Lite 5.2.1.2

Copernic

BearShare Lite will connect you to the Gnutella file-sharing network. This lite version has removed the bundled software that used to come with their free BearShare.. Press Release.

bearsharelite0mm.gif

This is what Bearshare Lite lacks that "Pro" version has:

*Better search results

*Turbo-charged download speeds

*Connect to more sources

More Info & Download

* Note : Windows Defender and other antispyware applications may detect Bearshare Lite as a potential threat- please ignore it , Bearshare Lite is completely spyware free.

The links below may help clear this up:

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showthread.p...&threadid=45289

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=44978

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/

Edited by Copernic
Jase

Bareshare has always seemed very slow for me, but ill give it a shot thanks :)

micwa

Thanks Copernic. :yes:

Here comes the BearShare bashers. :sleep:

Guest craft660

Get the only adware-and-spyware-free peer to peer client,

^ that's not true, and i believe shareaza is a better client as it can connect to several different networks

micwa

Before it gets started:

BearShare LITE does NOT install adware or spyware or malware or viruses or trojans or worms.

It puts the WhenUSaveNow installation file (webstats.exe) in the BearShare program folder. The ONLY way it could get installed is if YOU double-clicked it and installed it.

Callisto~

What are the advantages over say, Limewire?

Copernic

What are the advantages over say, Limewire?

No Java nedeed, better interface (in my opinion)

mamee

bearshare is the best for me...faster than other client....without setting anything ;)

Elliot B.

This has been out a while, I should have posted it here really :/

Love BearShare (Y)

Copernic

BearShare Lite 5.2.1.3

Von_Beard

BEARSHARE SUCKS!!111!

Nozavi

Get the only adware-and-spyware-free peer to peer client, BearShare Lite.

Yeah, right!

Qoute from license:

"BearShare's advertising support is provided by Save! software. Use of Save! is required to continue to use BearShare for free. Removal of Save! using third party programs or manual deletion is prohibited by this license agreement if you continue to keep the free version of BearShare on your PC."

This is NOT something I would like to read in a "clean" program's license :crazy:

Copernic

Did you tried to install to see if it really comes with WhenU ?

greg098

When i installed it, windows defender said i was infected by adware, BUT i had a look and it did not install anything but the program so this is 100% clean and Im behind a firewall and it downloads files fast and easy. Not uninstalling this anytime soon!

post-73728-1141377006_thumb.jpg

Nozavi

Did you tried to install to see if it really comes with WhenU ?

In my opinion a 100% Clean program does not

1) have a text like that in the license,

2) get detected by the Antispyware program

3) do this:

It puts the WhenUSaveNow installation file (webstats.exe) in the BearShare program folder. The ONLY way it could get installed is if YOU double-clicked it and installed it.

If it's clean there shouldn't be a trace of spyware in it, whether it's automatically installed or not.

greg098

In my opinion a 100% Clean program does not

1) have a text like that in the license,

2) get detected by the Antispyware program

3) do this:

If it's clean there shouldn't be a trace of spyware in it, whether it's automatically installed or not.

Well said :)

P.S. I LOVE YOUR SITE!!!

Copernic

This is ''WebStats.exe''

http://www.isv.uit.no/student/kennethl/Bea...lp/webstats.htm

The Webalizer software package is written by Brad Barret and distributed under the GNU General Public License. The original source code and binary distribution can be found at the Webalizer Home Page. The version bundled with BearShare is identical to the Webalizer for Windows ported by Klaus Mueller with the exception that the ZLib compression library is statically linked into the Webalizer executable, and some cosmetic changes were made to the HTML output.

The Webalizer package uses the PNG Portable Network Graphic file format to produce the images, and is therefore free of the patent problems associated with the Compuserve GIF format.

The Webalizer package uses the following libraries:

* GD Graphics Library.

* ZLib Compression Library

* PNG Portable Network Graphics Library

And here again ''WebStats.exe''

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6074

There is no included software in bearshare lite. I DASM'd the installer to reveal references to webstats.exe, this is in fact webalizer an open source log analyzer, http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/download.html The false positive turned up by some programs is because they are only matching the filename which is bad, it is removing a core part of bearshare if you choose to enable the internal server logging. I also md5 sum'd webstats.exe and DASM'd it to confirm that it is what it is. So, bearshare lite is in fact CLEAN. Wink

The following code is from WebStats.exe installed from bearshare lite:

.data:0042F3E0 aHttpWww_fsf_or db '<!--		   (http://www.fsf.org)		   -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F3E0										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+CBo
.data:0042F413				 align 4
.data:0042F414 aFightMicroOftS db '<!--	Fight Micro$oft,  support the FSF!	-->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F414										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+C0o
.data:0042F447				 align 4
.data:0042F448 aGiveThePowerBa db '<!--  Give the power back to the programmers  -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F448										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+B5o
.data:0042F47B				 align 4
.data:0042F47C aHttpWww_mrunix db '<!--	 http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/	 -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F47C										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+9Fo
.data:0042F4AF				 align 4
.data:0042F4B0 aFullTextMayBeF db '<!--		Full text may be found at:		-->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F4B0										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+91o
.data:0042F4E3				 align 4
.data:0042F4E4 aDistributedUnd db '<!-- Distributed under the GNU GPL  Version 2 -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F4E4										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+86o
.data:0042F517				 align 4
.data:0042F518 aBrad@mrunix_ne db '<!-- (brad@mrunix.net  http://www.mrunix.net) -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F518										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+70o
.data:0042F54B				 align 4
.data:0042F54C aCopyright19972 db '<!-- Copyright 1997-2000 Bradford L. Barrett  -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F54C										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+65o
.data:0042F57F				 align 4
.data:0042F580 asc_42F580	  db '<!--										  -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F580										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+5Ao
.data:0042F580										; sub_405290+7Bo ...
.data:0042F5B3				 align 4
.data:0042F5B4 aGeneratedByThe db '<!-- Generated by The Webalizer  Ver. %s-%s-%s -->',0Ah,0
.data:0042F5B4										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+4Fo
.data:0042F5E8 aS_3			db '%s',0Ah,0		  ; DATA XREF: sub_405290+25o
.data:0042F5E8										; sub_405290+12Bo ...
.data:0042F5EC aDoctypeHtmlPub db '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN'
.data:0042F5EC										; DATA XREF: sub_405290+10o 

;)

Malisk
Get the only adware-and-spyware-free peer to peer client, BearShare Lite.

First, it's not free of it since the installer comes with spyware. Although it's optional, it comes with spyware.

Second, what do you mean with "only"? There are plenty of P2P tools that are 100% free of this, even in the installer, as opposed to BearShare. How about most BitTorrent clients, eMule (for the eDonkey net), and LimeWire (for the Gnutella net)?

Copernic

First, it's not free of it since the installer comes with spyware. Although it's optional, it comes with spyware.

Second, what do you mean with "only"? There are plenty of P2P tools that are 100% free of this, even in the installer, as opposed to BearShare.

1. That's the author description not mine.

2. The same as nr. 1

3. Try Google to see what you get back for ''Get the only adware-and-spyware-free peer to peer client, BearShare Lite''

4. Ok , i will change the description.

5. Also ''webstats.exe'' & ''webstats.bat'' can be removed from install directory without affecting program.

:)

Edited by Copernic
Malisk

OK, mistook own information with the marketing speak. :)

And yeah, the files can be removed, however that doesn't really change anything about the bundling. :)

It's really strange how BearShare, of all developers, say they don't bring spyware with the program.

xorian

Love the program! And I'm glad it finally comes without spy- and adware.

• 1 month later...