There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Buying a Digital Camera online

Im coming close now to buying my new Digital camera. The online prices are really good compared to regular shops. Is there anything i need to know before I buy a cam online? Is it safe?

Also anyone know/have any experience with the following shops?

PrestigeCamera.com

Electro Discounts

MPSUPERSTORE

Nice Electronics

Thanks!

not heard any of the above?

Where are you from?

Try pixmania.co.uk

Should be totally safe as long as you buy it from a good company, so maybe wait for some recommendations

Havent heard of any of those before. Im more into PCs then electronics and digital cams.

Check resellerratings.com

I know PrestigeCamera is a scam and pretty sure the rest are too. Basic rule: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Hmmm. The 4 shops i listed get varying reviews. Its a hate it or love it thing. The people complaining usually say they are pushed too hard to buy acessories.

Anyone heard of:

Abe's of maine

Tiger direct

or Digital Foto?

Havent heard of any of those before. Im more into PCs then electronics and digital cams.

Hmmm. The 4 shops i listed get varying reviews. Its a hate it or love it thing. The people complaining usually say they are pushed too hard to buy acessories.

Anyone heard of:

Abe's of maine

Tiger direct

or Digital Foto?

Abesofmaine = :yes: :yes:

Be very careful, the general scam, or trick they use goes like this....

Says in stock, you order online. They email or call you back saying that it only comes with the camera, not the battery the other standard things that come in the retail box.

They then try to get you to pay a fortune for those extras, or try to force you to buy camer bags, lenses, and if you say no they tell you they either cannot sell the camera without those extras or say its acutally out of stock and will be a few weeks. Eventually they cancel your order if you don't give in, and make it a huge pain to get your money back.

So if i were you i would:

1. Order from a highly reguarded store, like newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com tigerdirect.com etc..

2. If not from one of the above order it over the phone call them and ask them BEFORE making the order that it is a retail box which has all the included stuff and is sealed, and of course is IN STOCK.

I did the latter when i ordered from some other site, i made them call the warehouse even and get them to check the box for whats in it and that it was in stock.

Good luck.

Should have posted this earlier but some of the best stores for cameras include:

BHphotovideo.com

BeachCamera.com

Adorama (Usually ok but some people have had problems. more so with larger orders)

47stPhoto.com

CanogaCamera.com

When ordering, make sure you're getting a US warrenty and not a import version, which will be slightly cheaper.

Im surprized you guys mentioned tiger direct. My research showed this

Maybe i will still use them :whistle:

Better business bureau

WWW.BBB.COM

"Nature of Business

The company offers computers, computer equipment and other electronics via mail order catalog, website and shopping service with infomercials.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to a pattern of unanswered complaints.

Specifically our files show a pattern of complaints alleging dissatisfaction with product quality, failure to deliver promised goods, service issues, misrepresentation in advertising and marketing practices and the failure to address and overcome the basic cause of complaints brought to their attention by the Better Business Bureau.

Complaints allege customers are led to believe they are buying new, Brand Name computer systems, parts and other products with either a 90-day, or 1 year warranty. Complainants allege they are receiving generic, defective and refurbished items and only a 30-day warranty with the option to purchase the 1-year warranty. Customers who purchase the warranty also experience difficulty in getting return phone calls to get the problems fixed or replaced. Customer are told they may return the items for replacement, but they will need to pay again for the replacement and will credited back when the item is returned and received by the company.

Some of the complaints have issues with the advertised rebate, both the catalog and web site have numerous offers for items with a mail-in rebate. Upon receiving the products the rebate application is not included in the package. Customers are told the rebate application is on the website and customers are required to comply with the program and submit paperwork that they never received. Many are denied because the product they have purchased does not have the advertised rebate, the rebate has expired, and some rebates are only good if the item is purchased with a computer. Many customers feel they have been victims of bait and switch, and are unable to return the products because the package has been open. Customers who have contacted customer service with concerns have problem with getting return calls, emails, and experience unresponsiveness and unconcerned customer service staff. However, the company has responded to most complaints presented by the Bureau.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

32549 consumers have requested a reliability report on this company in the past 36 months.

The Bureau processed a total of 791 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 791 complaints in the last 36 months, 318 of those were closed in the last 12 months.

Complaints Concerned

Advertising Issues: 138

Outcome of all complaints -

Resolved: 132; Administratively Closed: 3; No Response:

Sales Practice Issues: 71

Resolved: 67; Administratively Closed: 1; No Response:

Delivery Issues: 8

Resolved: 6; Unresolved: 1; Administratively Closed: 1

Repair Issues: 63

Resolved: 57; Administratively Closed: 3; No Response:

Service Issues: 68

Resolved: 64; Administratively Closed: 4

Customer Service Issues: 113

Resolved: 104; Unresolved: 1; Administratively Closed:

3; No Response: 5

Guarantees or Warranty Issues: 51

Resolved: 48; Administratively Closed: 3

Product Issues: 115

Resolved: 102; Administratively Closed: 5; No Response:

Refund or Exchange Issues: 55

Resolved: 52; Administratively Closed: 1; No Response:

Contract Issues: 53

Resolved: 49; Administratively Closed: 4

Billing or Collection Issues: 56

Resolved: 51; Unresolved: 1; Administratively Closed:

4 "

Honestly, I don't think you can do better than Amazon.com...

The price will always be fairly close to the cheapest, s/h will be free, and the company is ofcourse, extremely reputable.

• 2 weeks later...

Tigerdirect is awesome. They have always been great to me. Fast shipping and low prices as well as very good customer support. I have personally ordered over 30 items varying from cds/dvds to harddrives to computers from them. I have also bought many things (20 or so) from them for work. They have always been very helpful. Don't let that BBB thing scare you out of dealing with them.

I also just recently bought a camera from beachcamera.com. They sent it quickly and everything came in order. I also got a very cheap price. I would do business with them again,