Need your opinion

Alright if you have read one of the 50 other thread I have made in this section, you might know that my manual SLR seems to be biting the bullet. I am ready to upgrade to newer, auto focus camera.

So let's get to the point. I want to eventualy get a digital SLR, but right now funds are a little short. I was thinking about getting a Canon Rebel 2000 or T2/K2 to tide me over until I get a dSLR. If I were to get a 35mm SLR now I would have to wait a little longer to get a dSLR.

What is your opinion on this subject matter. I will probably need a film camera that works for a photography class I am taking next year, so right now all signs are pointing to a 35mm.

Depends how much you plan to shoot. Shoot more = look into digital.

For film, look into Canon Elan 7N or EOS 3. Can both be had for pretty good price used and are both good bodies. The EOS 3 being one of the best film bodies out.

For digital, D60 or 10D go for decent prices used.

Check out the Buy&Sell forum at FredMiranda.com/forum

Go digital. More flexible.

Agreed!

In the long run digital offers so much more features.

IMO, one of them is

Digital = shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, !!!

35mm = Shoot, print pay, :laugh: and i'm kinda cheap

The more and more I think about it the more and more I want an older digital rebel. I mean it makes sense. You can get them pretty cheap, its digital, and I can get a few lenses that will last me a while.

you cant say which is more flexible or something... the quality and the magnification factor is much better with 35mm. although the films do not always provide a good noise, the hardware-ISO/ASA is much more flexible aswell. indeed the only advantage with digital is that you can store many pictures on one CF-card or microdrive and see if the picture you just took is worth keeping. but in fact 35mm requires an advantaged skill. especially when using high-end-manual cameras like leica r8 or r9 or older models like a minolta x-700, you must SEE what shutterspeed you need, which aparture and so on... a digital camera does all this for you if you want it to.

anyways, i didnt regret going back to film. i do cross-processing with a coolscan negative-scanner and some rollei chemics and its just great so see the negative develop and scan the picture you really TOOK and not just shot and then postprocess it with photoshop or not...

but well... its a question of belief. or of the skill. for beginners i reccomend digital of course or a cheap but good slr like those EOS or nikon f65, f80 or with more cash f100.

imo i would go with the digital. the only way i would opt for analog is if i had access to my own darkroom which not many people do. i would reccomend a rebel. it'll last you awhile too.

Film camera = $250

Digital Camera = $800 or so

Film = $10 for 4 packs of cheep film, $15 to get it developed

Digital = $0

Film = Wait

Digital = No wait

But film is still cool. Soon I think I might buy a used digital Rebel XT or 10d. Or if the 20d goes down in price

Man I want to win the lotery..

I can get a d50 with a standard lens only for $550.

I would like a body, semi good lens (telephoto) and a 1gb or more compact flash card. It all quickly adds up

Film camera = $250

Digital Camera = $800 or so

Film = $10 for 4 packs of cheep film, $15 to get it developed

Digital = $0

Film = Wait

Digital = No wait

But film is still cool. Soon I think I might buy a used digital Rebel XT or 10d. Or if the 20d goes down in price

Man I want to win the lotery..

not really:

film = depends: 100 to 1000€, if we just look at the good ones, also manual focus and ebay.

digital = approx. 550€

film = 1,70€ for two agfacolor xrg 200, enough for beginners and a good film indeed, 6€ for processing but also not really, because you can put it either on photopaper or a cd for postprocessing or just get the negatives.

digital = up to 15€, if you let the file print because you want to hold something in your hand, be fair and let the digital file print aswell. ;)

film = maximum 1 hour while going shopping of having a tea, if you do it yourself which is pretty easy indeed, like 10 minutes.

digital = 20 seconds.

its like with vinyl and cd/mp3... it depends on what you want, if you like the work with real hardware and stuff... but for real beginners who just want point and shoot id really not suggest a slr. get a bridge-cam or something.

Alright if you have read one of the 50 other thread I have made in this section, you might know that my manual SLR seems to be biting the bullet. I am ready to upgrade to newer, auto focus camera.

So let's get to the point. I want to eventualy get a digital SLR, but right now funds are a little short. I was thinking about getting a Canon Rebel 2000 or T2/K2 to tide me over until I get a dSLR. If I were to get a 35mm SLR now I would have to wait a little longer to get a dSLR.

What is your opinion on this subject matter. I will probably need a film camera that works for a photography class I am taking next year, so right now all signs are pointing to a 35mm.

Yeah get one, they are not very expensive to you maybe able to get somthing better than a Rebel for not a lot of money, I recently purchased a Nikon F80 for <?80.

Modern lenses arn't cheap especially if you want a half decent zoom, So i would suggest a 50mm lens.

On the quantity thing I asume you already own a digital compact so keep using that for all the uninportant stuff

Find a lab that is reasonably priced and does a good job, I normally tent to pay about <?4.50 to get my film done add ?1.25 for the film thats not a lot especilly if ypou already print a lot from digital. One last thing, don't be pay too much for film, buy it online. I normally pay ?1.25 for stuff that I would have to pay about ?4 for in a local photography shop.

Man this weekend I was in Daytona.. I shot 8 rolls of film and I am not looking forward to paying for the development. Digital would be so great. Plus my 200mm lens wont stop down it is basicly stuck at F/3.5 which sucks. Even with my 2x converter which drop it down F/7 or so and that is still to much light at 1/500th with 400 speed film.

I want a 10d or something