Revolution is the outcome of past mistakes.

I think Revolution is probably the second most anticipated console in my lifetime, the first being the N64.

Even though N64 was an awesome system and quite revolutionary, Revolution has prevailed where N64/GC failed.

Here is a summary list of everything Revolution did right.

- Media storage, DVD9, this means that for the first time EVER in Nintendo history, software development will not be hindered by limited storage space. And since Nintendo Rev will not support HD resolutions, this will be an advantage to Nintendo compared to XBOX 360 which will need its space for hi-res textures, while Nintendo could use it for more levels, maps and great audio and pre-rendered movies.

- Virtual Console, there are tons of emulation sites and projects and even illegal emulation consoles being sold worldwide on the back of old Nintendo software. This time around, Nintendo took a step in the right direction to channel all that money and emulation niche market back to its pockets. Old school gamers who despise the current 3D gaming era will love Revolution simply on this feature.

- Free centralized online service, finally we can play Nintendo games online, something that the entire Nintendo fan base was waiting for a longtime. This is probably the biggest complaint against Nintendo Gamecube from the fans and probably from software developers. Not only will we be able to play Rev games online but the ability to download future game demos, trailers, classic games and additional downloadable content for your purchased games is very cool!!! On top of that, being completely free will give it an edge vs. XBOX live which you have to pay for and also versus Sony's decentralized service which is rumored to be also with subscription based.

- Nintendo DS integration and Rev built-in WIFI, something everyone is obviously expecting to happen and partly confirmed. Even though the GC/GBA linking features was somewhat a failure, I think Revolution wireless connectivity will give it the ease and intuitiveness that we have been waiting for. Imagine using Revolution as a HUB for downloading new Nintendo DS game demos straight to your DS, ability to use Nintendo DS touch screen in some Revolution games such as sports titles to draw your sports tactics on a touch screen map. There is also chance it could be used as a PDA in some RPG games or a communication gadget in splinter cell like games. No more troubling yourself with wires. On top of that, you probably will be able to use your Revolution console as a wireless router and Nintendo also confirmed that you will be able to share your Rev games like NDS download play. (Don't ask how that will work).

- Revolution is sleek, elegant and quiet. Probably taken a page from apple in design, Nintendo finally designed a console which doesn?t have the appearance that it was made for kindergarten, something that plagued the GC and somewhat the N64. This definitely helps Nintendo?s image of Revolution not being a kiddy console, but a device that is suitable to anyone?s living room. This console is so small that many mod?ers are going to have a lot of fun with it. This easily can be modified to fit in the tape deck of anyone?s car, or even in a computer hard drive/DVD drive slot and maybe perhaps in the future a portable version of it.

- DVD playback, Sure not a mind-blowing feature but for the first time, you will be able to watch movies on a Nintendo console, and for the people who say well Nintendo is a bit too late on that. This Hi-Def DVD war going on with Blueray and HD-DVD will probably last for years to come, and until there is a definite winner, DVDs will remain in their current position as standard for media playback.

- Revolution controller, well I don?t think I need to say anything about this, as it has been debated to death. In my opinion, this will precede any other innovation that Nintendo has ever done in the past, even the analog stick and digital 2d pad. I believe in 2-3 years time when Revolution controller has been used to its fullest potential. People will start to say: ?OMG I can?t believe I was playing games before with a game pad, sick?. Let?s just hope it comes with rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and a charging dock.

- Unprecedented third party support, sure Revolution will probably not have many games during launch like any other console launch, but this is the first time ever that Nintendo receives so much praise and support from leading third party software developers for a home console. I have read almost every interview by third party developers, and whoever actually tried the rev controller loved it, and those who never tried it, questioned its success. Now we get support from EA, Square soft, UbiSoft, THQ? Obviously this can be all talk, but we already have confirmation by some of these companies that they are indeed actually working on exclusive titles for the Revolution.

- Aggressive marketing and advertisement, it seems Nintendo has upped it?s marketing budget as DS advertisement can be found almost everywhere, TV, magazines, online and even at some conventions and sports arenas. For the first time, Nintendo takes a page from Sony and learned that this is very important for success of any new console. Nintendo is seriously waging war this time around, giving no mercy to its competitors. Obviously this aggressive marketing strategy will not stop with DS and will follow with Rev. Nintendo finally understand?s that North America/Europe is as important as Japan. This is why US oriented Nintendo games are being launched first here in North America and most successful US oriented game by Nintendo, Metroid Prime, is being pushed as a launch title for Revolution (this also gives us a hint that Revolution will indeed launch in US first, Prime Hunters demo in US DS bundles is evidence of this trend).

- Rev lower price launch, this probably will be a significant factor in 2006 holiday consumer frenzy. This helped a lot in DS sales during Christmas of 2004/2005. I do believe that even though some people will purchase an XBOX 360 or a Sony PS3 during the holidays, in the long run, these very same people will eventually buy a Revolution console as well because of its lower price point and unique gaming experience. This is what Saruto Iwata is expecting to happen. Nintendo doesn?t need to be number 1 in quarterly sales to win; it needs to be number 2 in worldwide sales to win. For instance, it is obvious that PS3 will be the dominant seller in Japan, but second place will definitely remain to Revolution, and in Europe and North America, MS and Sony can battle all they want for first, but second place will evidently remain Nintendo?s territory.

In conclusion, I simply can?t see any wrong doing from Nintendo?s part this time around. Nintendo DS is evidence enough that Nintendo is really trying to shift itself back to reclaim lost territory in market share. For the first time, I am confident enough Nintendo will succeed in doing so. The biggest criticism I see from people on the Revolution is that it does not support HD resolutions. This technology is fairly new and it has already been predicted that HDTVs won?t be a standard in American homes (I am not even accounting the rest of the world) until 2010-2012. By that time, Nintendo would be launching its next gen console after Rev, so this whole debate if Nintendo should have supported HD for Rev is ridiculous. The numbers are on Nintendo?s side, sure there are some rich kids who are early adopters of new technology, and that?s what PS3 and XBOX 360 are for. Those people who want the latest in technology and media. Revolution is for games and buying and making games are getting more expensive every year, I am glad Nintendo is doing something to at least delay it a little bit, because some people seriously don?t want to pay thousands of dollars to play unoriginal redundant games. This is why Microsoft and Sony are marketing the gimmicky aspects of their consoles to cover their high costs, Media Center, BlueRay?. And all that

Note: I didn't talk much about the titles because we know so little about them, we know some Nintendo games have been confirmed but let's face it, we know that there are tons of sequels that will eventually be made for the Revolution. Obviously there will be a few secret unanounced games that will be showcased at E3, but until then, we can't seriously assess how the Revolution launch games will affect sales as we don't really know the games, nor how many titles will be available. So no need to point that out!

definitly a lot of great points, but lately, and most of all with the gamecube, i dont think there "quality over quantity" statement they have always loved using held up at all. there were a few real good games, and everything else just seemed "okay".

ive distanced myself from the videogame scene in the past years, so i could very well have missed some great games. ive sold my ps2, and dont even play xbox anymore. im definitly keeping my gamecube around though for zelda, only game ive looked forward to for years.

i agree with you on looking forward to the n64, that was prob the last time i was REALLY impressed with something i saw on a videogame console(until recently) seeing mario for the first time, was just like WOW, it blew you back in your seat, it was REVOLUTIONARY. i havnt seen anything that impressive since i saw the demo of fight night on xbox360. by far the best graphics i have ever seen, on console, or any pc game. my jaw dropped

In conclusion, I simply can’t see any wrong doing from Nintendo’s part this time around.

Erm, not supporting hi-def is a big one. Nintendo have always lacked in something... with the N64 it was storage capacity; with the GC it was a lack of DVD playback. Admittedly they seem to have less limitations this time around, though I think that new controller will work against it. That's only comparing them to the other main consoles... the thing is Nintendo do their own thing, they don't pretend to be like the other consoles and to that end they are successful.

I think the success of the Revolution will largely depend on how the PS3 pans out, as if that has lots of delays and it isn't as special as people make out then Nintendo could build up a following, though they need far better games than before. The games for the N64 and the GC were just dreadful, with a few exceptions - they need to open up to more 3rd party games.

I hope they come out with a very good game, because the only long lasting game to me on the Gamecube was Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros, and the rest were easy and boring. Especially Starfox Assault. It was a little disappointing because Starfox64 had a lot more challenge. Starfox Adventures ****ed me off. :no:

I hope the next Super Smash Bros makes the little Percentage Icons smaller so they don't block player view. The maps need to be bigger, so people won't just knock you off immediatly. The old Super Smash Bros had the best maps IMO. :)

wow. longest 1st post EVER..good one

Agreed! Good First Post

In the end, I guess it's just down to what people want, It won't matter if it's revolutionary or not.

Erm, not supporting hi-def is a big one. Nintendo have always lacked in something... with the N64 it was storage capacity; with the GC it was a lack of DVD playback. Admittedly they seem to have less limitations this time around, though I think that new controller will work against it. That's only comparing them to the other main consoles... the thing is Nintendo do their own thing, they don't pretend to be like the other consoles and to that end they are successful.

I think the success of the Revolution will largely depend on how the PS3 pans out, as if that has lots of delays and it isn't as special as people make out then Nintendo could build up a following, though they need far better games than before. The games for the N64 and the GC were just dreadful, with a few exceptions - they need to open up to more 3rd party games.

I sincerely would have to disagree, Hi-def is not a big issue as of right now since most people do not own an HDTV. HD owners are in the minority, the only people who complain about Nintendo's lack of HD support are the very people who own an HDTV, I for one do not own one and probably won't get one until media storage war is over, protection schemes have been settled and cable or satelite monthly subscription for HD feed is at reasonable price. All this to happen will probably take a good 5 years, which by then Nintendo Revolution would be past it's life cycle.

I would agree with you that GC did not have good amount of quality games that are to be remembered, but you simply can't say N64 didn't have a good share. Every N64 game I bought was GOLD. Best I have ever played in the 3D era. From the looks of Nintendo DS games, Nintendo is listening to its fans and I think this time around, blunders on the software side will be minimal. Nintendo is listening!

To give you an example,

WIFI feature progress

MKDS had limited online play, no online chatting, no downloadable content

and then when AC:WW came out, text based chatting is available and downloadable content is available, and now Metroid Prime Hunters has voice chat!

In conclusion, I simply can?t see any wrong doing from Nintendo?s part this time around. Nintendo DS is evidence enough that Nintendo is really trying to shift itself back to reclaim lost territory in market share.

- Lack of adult games

- lack of HD Support. How many 360 owners do you think have purchased a HDTV? I'd say the vast majority, even then, you can still use a computer monitor and it'll be shown in HD, so not supporting it because TV's are too expensive or no-one has them. The Rev is in a position where it can ride the success of the 360 and the PS3, all of which will be encouraging the user to get a HDTV. (assuming the Rev is there second console of choice)

- an unusual controller - people fear things that are different, and when they see ad's with people waving there arms around they're just going to go "yeah, that could be fun, but I'm so used to the old style of controller, I'll stick with that"

- lack of powerful specs (people seem to be very superficial this generation for some reason)

- targetting the console at every day people rather than gamers...personally I doubt my parents will be interested in a Revolution... why aim at such an difficult audience when gamers will definitely be more interested. (but you've still gotta beat the "kiddy console" image..)

On the DS thing... wasn't the DS just some "crap" thrown out to combat the PSP... and then it ended up being quite popul:p? :p I'd say (if that is true), that they got lucky, not that they're try:pg :p

I have more or less quit playing games, but I still own my gamecube waiting for the new zelda game. I will definetly get a revolution as well I can't wait too see what they come out with next, its always a fun ride with Nintendo.

Nice post, you are right on facts and it's not the everyday "FanBoy" post...

But on the "controler" ... I will buy a NGC controler :rofl:

I can't believe to play on "that" controler...

Main reason for me : I will not just play at the Rev, so I want to use a "normal" controler like at PC and other consoles.

And the Rev will probably the best choice for me to get since i'm a PC Gamer that play on FPS games, the rest of games that a console have is secondairy

(I CAN'T Play on a Controler... versus a ZBoard and MX518 it's ... You know what I mean...)

nintento revolution = innovation = nextgen

XB360 & PS3 = GFX updates

Herm... It's true, but I would more say:

Rev = Nextgen gaming style + Oldschool support + Cost Effective = More ppl to play (Kids, Casual Players, ppl that Can't buy the others and PPL THAT WANT MORE FUN ;) (I Explain: Console + 4 controler + 4 Rev Games + lot of classic for the same price as the PS3 + 2 controlers + 2 Game That's ALL :( )

360 & PS3 = Only performance...

360 is not fully retro-compatible (At least for now...)

Hopefully PS3 is retro...

I have to say I totally agree with a lot of this first post. When I started seeing some of the screenshots of X360 games in HD I was pretty excited as they looked so pretty. However, I don't own an HDTV and don't really see myself buying one just so I can play X360 games at 720i when I get round to buying one.

My housemate has recently bought an X360, and as nice as it is, the fact I can see players sweat in NBA 2K6 doen't really do anything for me. I just thought 'This is a PS2/Xbox game with better gfx' and frankly, for that amount of money I want more from this next generation of consoles than better textures, higher poly-count models and increased draw distance. I love beautiful games but this doesn't seem to be pushing the industry forward at all.

I'm not having a go at the 360 specifically but just making an observation about the industry as a whole. I was initially quite worried about the Revolution as it would be underpowered compared to the PS3 and X360 but when Nintendo says they won't be competing with them head-on I can begin to understand where they're coming from. I can see a situation where people will be arguing that their PS3 copy of Burnout 5 has higher resolution textures than their friend with the X360 version etc.

I think a lot of people were probably pretty sceptical about the DS when it was first unveiled but Nintendos gamble appears to have been an unprecedented success. I hope the same thing rings true with the Revolution.

I think if the Rev does manage to shed that 'kiddy console' image, which i'll be honest makes me not interested in it then this,

I do believe that even though some people will purchase an XBOX 360 or a Sony PS3 during the holidays, in the long run, these very same people will eventually buy a Revolution console as well because of its lower price point and unique gaming experience.
would come into effect big time.

I'm certainly waiting for the Revolution, or whatever they finally decide to call it. As mentioned before, Nintendo always trys something different. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't, this time I think most people agree it's going to work :)

I really ask myself where are that kiddie-BS comes from? Of course, Nintendo tries to design games for everyone, including kids, and they are very good at it. But honestly, the only guys calling nintendo kiddie are kids (teens). The Cube was the system with the oldest users, Nintendo is the company with the largest adult fanbase. There were a few games for the Cube that were more mature than pretty much anything for PS2 or Xbox (like Killer7, Revolution exclusive - compared to that games story, GTA, Halo or God of War is kiddie). And there are more kiddie games for the PS2 and Xbox as well.

And I don't really think the Cube-design was to blame. Granted, I have a black Cube (Metroid Edition), not a purple lunchbox, but it's at least easy on the eyes with it's small, streamlined case. The Xbox looked like a$$, really overloaded and distracting. True American design - no offense, but standard American design _is_ ugly. I think only Americans like it (Apple seems to follow standard Scandinavian and Bauhaus (German) design, it's not American design). And the PS2 looked cool back then, but a few years later, the design seems cheap and not really all that well thought out. The PS2 Slim is neat, though - but maybe it'll wear of in a few years as well...

I think Nintendo's problem is that kids usually like to play Nintendo's franchises, and once they think they grow up (teens), they try to break with their previous habits to show it. But really, think about it, just because you grow a few years older, does that make Mario any worse? You played it because it was fun, and it's still fun. Not being true to and denying yourself is what I call true kiddie behavior...

Regarding the lack of HDTV support: Yeah, the Revo will be 480p. So what? I have only HDTV sets at home, and I still don't care. I prefer quality over resolution, and consider HDTV a waste of processing power right now, at least 'till 2009. The Revo might not have the power of a Xbox360 or PS3, but since it doesn't waste the little it has on stuff 90% of the consumers wont need (and 95% wouldn't notice), I think it will still offer a great visual experience.

God bless Nintendo - they need it this time around.

If Nintendo doesn't strike gold this time around, I have a sick feeling they'll go Sega on everyone, which, while not might be a bad thing, would be horrible for anyone who loved the innovation they had.

I can tell they're putting a lot of effort into this one, and I hope they can take that to the bank when all is said and done.

I really ask myself where are that kiddie-BS comes from? Of course, Nintendo tries to design games for everyone, including kids, and they are very good at it. But honestly, the only guys calling nintendo kiddie are kids (teens). The Cube was the system with the oldest users, Nintendo is the company with the largest adult fanbase. There were a few games for the Cube that were more mature than pretty much anything for PS2 or Xbox (like Killer7, Revolution exclusive - compared to that games story, GTA, Halo or God of War is kiddie). And there are more kiddie games for the PS2 and Xbox as well.

And I don't really think the Cube-design was to blame. Granted, I have a black Cube (Metroid Edition), not a purple lunchbox, but it's at least easy on the eyes with it's small, streamlined case. The Xbox looked like a$$, really overloaded and distracting. True American design - no offense, but standard American design _is_ ugly. I think only Americans like it (Apple seems to follow standard Scandinavian and Bauhaus (German) design, it's not American design). And the PS2 looked cool back then, but a few years later, the design seems cheap and not really all that well thought out. The PS2 Slim is neat, though - but maybe it'll wear of in a few years as well...

I think Nintendo's problem is that kids usually like to play Nintendo's franchises, and once they think they grow up (teens), they try to break with their previous habits to show it. But really, think about it, just because you grow a few years older, does that make Mario any worse? You played it because it was fun, and it's still fun. Not being true to and denying yourself is what I call true kiddie behavior...

Regarding the lack of HDTV support: Yeah, the Revo will be 480p. So what? I have only HDTV sets at home, and I still don't care. I prefer quality over resolution, and consider HDTV a waste of processing power right now, at least 'till 2009. The Revo might not have the power of a Xbox360 or PS3, but since it doesn't waste the little it has on stuff 90% of the consumers wont need (and 95% wouldn't notice), I think it will still offer a great visual experience.

Very well thought out. And so true, I mean as nice as it would be I don't have HDTV and won't have one for awhile being a student and whatnot. On top of that like you said, nintendo's games are fun. I mean look at animal crossing, you could say it is completly 'kiddy' but that didn't stop me from having a blast with it for about 3 months playing it every day.

Lancom, I'm in the same boat. I'm 19, grew up playing NES before I could read and witnessed the glory days of the 16 generation battle. Remember when Playstation 1 costed hundreds of dollars, when mock-ups of the GBA were first being shown on IGN, the N64 launch, seeing the GC for the first time as it really was in an EGM article etc. I've literally watched Nintendo go from the humble days of NES and the original Gameboy to what it is today.

What I like about Nintendo is their focus on crafting solid games. Their first party selection has been one of the few things I can continue purchasing titles from year after year with little worry about the titles. Metroid 3, Zelda 1-3, Mario 64, Zelda 64, Mario Bros 3.....so many of my favorite games of all time come from Nintendo. Even their in-house studio titles are generally on the same level....Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun and so on.

I prettymuch stay away from current-gen games. The few exceptions to this are Morrowind and Gamecube games. Recent computer games bore me, aside from Morrowind and Panzer Dragoon the XBox doesn't have many games that I care for. I remember buying a PS2 and 10 of the games I had always wanted most. I returned it all for what I payed for it though because I quit my job....but still, 10 of the games I thought I'd enjoy most on the system. I had only gotten into maybe 3 or 4 of them at the most.....Tenchu: WoH, Virtua Fighter Evolution and Devil May Cry....good games but I didn't mind getting rid of them.

When I boot up my modded XBox and play some SNES and NES classics I'm much more satisfied than when I play an XBox game. The new Grand Theft Autos can't hold my interest like an old shooter like Gradius for SNES or Contra 3. I'm content with Mario Kart for DS, 64 or SNES over all the racing sims out there. Yeah, Forza Motorsport is fun and realistic, but I can just go cruise around my neighborhood if I want to drive. As a videogame it's just not as fun to me as the Mario Kart games.

The games I play most aside from my RPG fetish are generally old-school. The Castlevania series, Advance Wars / Fire Emblem, Metroid series, Zelda series, Mario series, Contra series, Star Fox 1 and 64, Morrowind, Final Fantasy Tactics. Out of all these, most are based on NES style gameplay. Even out of my most played RPG's you'll find a lot of NES titles like Zelda 2, FF1 / 2, Dragon Warrior 1-4 etc. Fire emblem has its roots on the NES and Advance Wars is based on it. Castlevanias today are more Metroid 3 styled, but Metroid 3 is largely based on Metroid 1, and Castlevania still retains many of its NES elements.

There are so many things wrong with the state of videogaming. Titles being released in series every year with negligible additions, camera problems, poor programming / bugs being rampant, the mainstream shift making deadline sshorter and money a higher priority, the death of arcade, Incomplete games being released then patched later in order to ship out early, console designers focusing little on pushing more polygons when it comes to games, old series' being revived simply to cash-in rather than bringing a truely innovative title to the series, poor control / lack of button re-mapping support, too many games that hold your hand and give you unexciting, linear paths. Lack of difficulty overall.

Nintendo is the only console designer Ie ven give two ****s about anymore. They seem interested in developing videogaming beyond the mere technical aspects. Like you were saying, seeing better textures and having longer draw-distance isn't going to change the fact that the same game, for the most part, came out for the previous two generations of consoles...PS1/N64, DC/XBox/GC/PS2. Higher-res graphics, a few additional features and some voice-acting don't warrant a new 50-60$ investment in my eyes.

If you want to see examples of how to manage a series, look at Nintendo. Zelda 1 was an original, non-linear game that made you explore. Zelda 2 re-defined the series as more of an RPG with side-scrolling action. Zelda 3 took 1's ideas and expanded them tremendously. The world was a bigger place with far-better defined characters, more things and people to interact with, tons of new secondary items, many more dungeons and enemies and a long-list of clever additions. Zelda 64 is hailed as one of the greatest games ever and plays much differently than the style of the original while retaining many trademark elements.

Nintendo just commands much more of my respect for their consistency in their games and how they push innovation over technical progression.