• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HOWTO - Fresh installation of FireFox 1.5.0.1

Daylene    0

Hey everyone,

Ubuntu currrently runs with Mozilla Firefox 1.07. The latest version of the browser is 1.5RC3, and in this guide I will show you how to upgrade to it.

Why upgrade?

Why upgrade to version 1.5? Well, it has quite a few bugfixes, and is MUCH, much faster than Firefox 1.07. When I installed it, it was running about 2-3 times faster than 1.07.

Steps

Step 1: Use synaptic package manager and get libstdc++5. If you already have it, go to step 2.

Step 2: Download and save the latest version of Firefox to the desktop. It can be found Here. it is Firefox 1.5 RC3.

Step 3: Type the following into a Terminal window:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo cp firefox-1.5rc3.tar.gz /opt/

sudo tar xzvf firefox-1.5rc3.tar.gz

sudo rm firefox-1.5rc3.tar.gz

This will extract firefox, to /opt/ and delete the Gzipped version from your computer.

Step 4: Now you need to link over your current Firefox Plugins, and remove the Totem video player from Firefox (Causes problems with Firefox 1.5) Do this by opening the Terminal and typing:

cd /opt/firefox/plugins/

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/* .

sudo rm libtotem_mozilla.*

Step 5: Copy over your current Firefox home directory to the new one with these commands in the Terminal:

cd

mv .mozilla .mozilla.bak

Step 6: Now put the following lines into the terminal, so that Firefox 1.5RC3 becomes the default Firefox version.

sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox

sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

Restart firefox, and you should be good to go! Enjoy the improved performance! (Y)

phild_99    0

BTW, if you want to keep your existing profile (bookmarks etc), copy the firefox directory from ~/.mozilla.bak to ~/.mozilla

matt95110    15

Step 5: Copy over your current Firefox home directory to the new one with these commands in the Terminal:

Is that step really necessary? I did the upgrade in Gentoo and I didn't have to do anything like that.

Gundamdriver    0

Hi. This is my first time to wirte HOWTO, please comment after you read this document~

Ubuntu Linux is a popular Linux distribution, and its latest release is Ubuntu 5.10 "The Breezy Badger". It works well, but the bundled browser, FireFox 1.0.7, is a very old version. In this document, I will show you how to install FireFox 1.5.0.1 on Ubuntu.

1) Before installing FireFox 1.5.0.1, you must have libstdc++5 installed on your computer. I don't know what does it do, but I think it is a library for FireFox to perform some operations.

In the panel, "System" ---> "Administration" ---> "Synaptic Package Manager".

Search for libstdc++5, install it.

012zy.jpg

2) Please download FireFox 1.5.0.1 from FireFox official website:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

It should be a *.tar.gz package. Please save it to Desktop.

3) Copy the package to a directory to install FireFox. As I am still new to Linux, I don't quite understand the directory structure of Linux...

So I suggest you to copy the downloaded package to /usr, extract the file and install FireFox. To do this, please start the terminal, and type in the following commands:

cd Desktop
sudo cp firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz /usr
cd /usr
sudo tar -xzf firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
sudo rm firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz

4) Right now, FireFox 1.5.0.1 should be installed. The second thing to do is to launch it, in order to see if installation works. In terminal:

/usr/firefox/firefox

If installation was successful, FireFox will be launched in seconds.

5) What should be done next? Put a shortcut on the panel, and launch it by simply clicking an icon (I think new users of Linux loves GUI rather than commands). To do this, right click panel, "Add to Panel" ---> "Custom Application Launcher".

In "Name" field, type FireFox, or whatever you like. In "Command" field:

/usr/firefox/firefox

6) It should be done now. What? The icon on panel? Sure you can change it into a FireFox icon. Please do the following in terminal:

cd /usr/firefox/icons
sudo cp mozicon128.png /usr/share/pixmaps

Right click the icon on panel, which was created in (5), "Properties". Click the "No Icon", then type in:

/usr/share/pixmaps/mozicon128.png

in the location.

Now you should be able to see the FireFox icon.

This document ends here. There might be some errors in this document, please, if you see them, PM to me, or leave your comments.

Thanks for your reading.

markjensen    98

Your first HowTo is very well-written and clear. (Y) Good work.

However, perhaps this should be added as a post into the existing HowTo on this subject: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=410778

A moderator can have your post moved, so you don't need to retype your post.

matt95110    15

Topics Merged.

betamaxman    0

I simply forgo my distro's FF, TB, and SB installations and install the latest releases to a folder in my home directory, and edit the menu accordingly to point it's shortcuts there, or add them to kicker or the desktop. This way mozilla apps can update them selves. :cool:

zac1333    0

Should JAVA work in this new version of Firefox?