All in wonder (output to HDTV)

Which would be better? I have the cables to do both right now, but wondering if there would be any benefit to outputing to the HDTV through the component and not the dvi.

Thanks

Which would be better? I have the cables to do both right now, but wondering if there would be any benefit to outputing to the HDTV through the component and not the dvi.

Thanks

If you have both cables you should try both and decide for yourself. It mostly depends on your dvd and tv quality. If its plasma i guess DVI will be better.

Let us know which one looked better!

DVI is a better signal. Component is an analogue signal if I remember correctly. Also, don't some DVD player apps refuse to output copyrighted material over component?

Thanks

Do you mean composite output? As far as I know All-in-Wonder does not have component output. Actually I don't think I've ever seen any VGA card that has component output.

Composite output is one port RCA jack (yellow).

Component output is 3 port RCA jacks (red, blue, green).

If it is composite (one jack) output then DVI is much better. Composite is old standard.

Some websites said that component (3 jacks) and DVI quality is about the same, composite (1 jack) is much worse, however. You also cannot display at HD resolution (720 or 1080) or even progressive scan at standard resolution (480p) with composite (1 jack). It only works with 480 interlaced.

Edit: I stand corrected. The All in Wonder does have component output via a proprietary cable. I don't think there is any benefit between the two, as they are about the same in quality. It really depends on your HDTV, some don't have component, some don't have DVI, and some have both.

Edited by slomo