There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Panasonic's First DSLR

hey guess..sorry for not posting in a long while..got busy. anyway, here's the news...

lumix_dmc_l1_panasonic_A.jpg

Panasonic's First Digital SLR Camera with Interchangeable Lens has been announced on the PMA 2006. Panasonic is pleased to announce the development of our first interchangeable-lens digital SLR camera, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1. State-of-the-art digital and optical technologies developed for our compact digital cameras have been crystallized to make Lumix a top camera brand while helping establish a new photographic culture for the digital age

Full info here

I got the feeling the design is leica inspired...i think the e330 looks better than this..

oops sorry the title should be DMC-L1

I am 100% sure this Leica inspired. Their argentic camera look was like the DMC-L1. I would guess that only a selected part of ppl will buy this camera because are so "sold" for Leica..

we will see how far Panasonic will penetrate the SLR market.

yeah does look pretty retro. i think they're going to have a hard time... canon and nikon already dominate. there's barely enough for fuji... didn't minolta annouce recently they were pulling out?

yeah does look pretty retro. i think they're going to have a hard time... canon and nikon already dominate. there's barely enough for fuji... didn't minolta annouce recently they were pulling out?

but then again olympus is pretty strong with the market. their e500 and e300 model series is quite respectable. now that they've tied up with pansonic its gonna be a strong partnership. i think these DSLR's will cater to the consumer market more than the professional market.

More information and pictures at dpreview. I really can't wait to see the performance of the Venus III engine... :D

I am 100% sure this Leica inspired. Their argentic camera look was like the DMC-L1. I would guess that only a selected part of ppl will buy this camera because are so "sold" for Leica..

we will see how far Panasonic will penetrate the SLR market.

nothing to add.

except:

this looks more like a lifestyle-DSLR. since its no leica and just a look-alike as the DMC-LC1, it just doesnt make that much sense, i think.

but there will be a selected range of users who like having that prestige-thing, which i think thats going to be.

nothing for me anyways.

I am not sure I would rule out Panasonic. I got the Leica Digilux 2 on a trade/impulse and have been very impressed with it, particularly with low light architecture. If the DMC is an advance on the Digitlux 2 with interchangeable Leica and Olympus 4/3 lenses, panansonic antishake and the good ergonomics of my Digilux, I will defintely be tempted.

Panasonic produces outstanding products, not always the most advanced, buat usually well thought out and well built. I agree Canon and Nikon have a real grip on the market. So I am encouraged a few others are trying to hold on.