[Linux Poll] Do you log in as root?

Do you log into your Linux box as root?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you log into your Linux box as root?

• I typically log into KDE/GNOME as root.
    • Occasionally I log into KDE/GNOME as root.
    • I use a concurrent TTY session (CTRL+ALT+F2, etc) for root access.
    • I open a unpriveleged shell window and su or sudo commands.
    • I don't use Linux, but really really love to vote!

With a recent discussion about logging in as root in another thread here, I thought I would ask the question among the Neowin members here...

How do you treat your *nix (yes, I said "linux" in the poll, but I mean *BSDers, too!) box, when it comes to logging in as root?

As for me, it is usually a terminal that I su temporarily to root. In a few cases I have used a different TTY session to log in directly as root, but that is very atypical.

I don't log in as root and su and sudo commands if I need to. I have never needed to be logged into Gnome/KDE as root, anything that needs to be done as root is probably easier to do in a terminal anyway.

sudo if i only want to execute a single command as root and su if i want to do a number of tasks. Typically i use su during the initial setup, after that it's mostly sudo.

I log into root once, after a fresh install, to copy my 1800 or so fonts into /usr/share/fonts/otf ... /ttf, etc., that's the only thing I would ever need to do in root, otherwise it's su in a terminal.

I wish I could choose 2 options. I run Gentoo, and as such, do a lot of compiling. My box boots to a shell, and I'll typically log in as root to sync my portage tree and do any updates required, and I usually have a concurrent TTY (or 3) going with lynx, madplay, or other stuff as my unprivileged user.

I run X and my DE/WM as my unprivileged user and su in a terminal if I need to perform actions as root while in the GUI.

I never log in to root, but use su all the time to use emerge or do kernel upgrades. Thats really all I use root for.

What's TTY?
Press CTRL+ALT+F2, and behold the glory of TTY!

Sessions attached from F1 to F6 (typically) are TTY sessions you can log into. Sort of like a local version of a remote terminal access. F7 will probably bring you back to your X session. It varies by distro, though.

EDIT: Oh, and six people have selected "I typically log into KDE/GNOME as root." :o Did someone link to this poll from the Linspire forums again? :p

I use the ROOT logon from time to time. No security issue since I dont keep anything on my linux box nore do I use it in a production environment. If I used it as my main system or at work, then I would keep the root logon disabled.

I like to have full access to my system. Use SU or SUDO is fine, but if I am doing a lot of stuff on my system, its annoying having to enter the password all the time or remember using tho commands to get admin access.

I su mainly, but do log in directly from a VC if I have to do a bunch of administration tasks, or compile something [e.g. gnome] without X running. I'm pretty sure I logged into X once as root, but it was so long ago.......

Always su, either from an unpriveleged shell window or TTY. And I never start a X session as root.

I've disabled direct root login and sudo is not installed, so su is the only way to get root priviledges.

I always su into root. Doesn't everyone? On the rare ocassions that I have logged in as root, I certainly haven't started X. Now that's just asking for trouble :laugh: .

I accidentally started X once in a root TTY without thinking, but otherwise never run X as root.

Mostly I use a TTY or xterm + su.

I tend to only use su in a terminal for root priveledges, but if for example the X server fails to start or dies something like that then I just go ahead and log in as root in a TTY or VC or whatever your distro calls it.