Sony Admits PS3 Delay Possible

Issues with mass production of Blu-ray drives could be to blame if spring system launch is pushed back to fall.

In recent weeks, speculation that Sony would not make its previously announced spring 2006 release date for the PlayStation 3 has grown after a Merrill Lynch report predicted the new console would be pushed back until the end of the year, or perhaps later. Japanese site Sankei Web is reporting that Sony has acknowledged the possibility of a delay in the system, and that such a delay would be due to problems with the mass production of the console's built-in Blu-ray drive.

A Sony spokesperson is quoted in the article as saying, "The highest quality picture is vital to the PS3. There is a possibility of delay [to the launch] if delivery of parts is delayed."

The article suggests that if Sony does delay the system, it would put the launch off until after October in order to hit the busy holiday season. It also quotes Enterbrain president Hiokazu Hamamura as saying that if Sony hasn't started taking orders for the system by now, it would be difficult for the company to launch the PS3 in May.

Source: GameSpot

There will be a spring 2006 launch no delays :)

How can you believe that? I'd be very impressed if they made their Spring launch, even if it is only in Japan...

Who didn't see this coming. I mean no working console is shown. No controller, nothing. How do you launch something you don't have. They just recently sent out final dev kits. Sony just doesn't want to lose in stocks so they tell the people thats its still gonna launch so people invest or dont massively sell sony stocks.

Who didn't see this coming. I mean no working console is shown. No controller, nothing. How do you launch something you don't have.

Just cause YOU haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :p

How can you believe that? I'd be very impressed if they made their Spring launch, even if it is only in Japan...

Because Sony hasnt said otherwise. They keep saying there will be a spring launch and I will believe that until Sony Officially says otherwise :yes:

Because Sony hasnt said otherwise. They keep saying there will be a spring launch and I will believe that until Sony Officially says otherwise :yes:

Yes, but I also take information from other sources into consideration.

Sony is now admitting a delay is possible and everyone else has long been saying a delay is inevitable, and you still believe there will be no delay simply because Sony has yet to confirm a delay, that is in all reality, quite probable?

I guess people will still have their own delusions no matter how compelling the evidence :no:

:blink: Did you read the topic title when you came in, or the article at the top? Sony said they may not make the launch. There you go. Given Sony's track record, it's not much of a stretch to take "may not" as "won't". They know they won't make a spring launch; they just don't want to admit it yet.

Sony is now admitting a delay is possible and everyone else has long been saying a delay is inevitable, and you still believe there will be no delay simply because Sony has yet to confirm a delay, that is in all reality, quite probable?

I guess people will still have their own delusions no matter how compelling the evidence :no:

that was the point I was trying to get across but you said it more elequantly. lol

Yes it's possible anything is possible but Sony hasn't officially said there will be a delay personaly I do not think there will be a delay.

Everyone is taking the article out of context. Well almost everyone lol

Japanese site Sankei Web is reporting that Sony has acknowledged the possibility of a delay in the system, and that such a delay would be due to problems with the mass production of the console's built-in Blu-ray drive.

See they acknowledged the possibility of a delay if there are problems with the Blu-ray drive and there isnt any evidence to show there have been problems with the Blu-ray drive.

Personally I wouldn't listen to a word Sony says. The playstation I like, I think it's the best platform since the Genesis/SNES, but Sony is terrible at telling the truth.

Currently there's a higher chance of it being delayed than not so I lean towards delay. Further you can't trust what they say because they have a vested interest in how the public percieves them. If they came out and said no PS3 until '07 anyone waiting for it instead of the 360 or even Revolution may just get something else and they don't want that. So keeping up the "Spring launch" whether true or not is definately a good move on Sony's part. Anyways this all feels like Deja Vu anyways.

The PS3 will kick A**, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

Yes it's possible anything is possible but Sony hasn't officially said there will be a delay personaly I do not think there will be a delay.

Everyone is taking the article out of context. Well almost everyone lol

See they acknowledged the possibility of a delay if there are problems with the Blu-ray drive and there isnt any evidence to show there have been problems with the Blu-ray drive.

Actually, there have been several problems with companies not being able to agree on a standard regarding DRM and other copyright issues with Blu-Ray drives. Google it.

Yes hopefully :) If there is a delay no big deal. It will get here when it gets here :p

Delay could be a good thing for the consumers cause it will lower the price of the console. I believe people are still be dissapointed with the price PS3 will be. :o

we all knew that but delays can be good.. in a sense. look how quick they put the xbox360 on the market and i hear there are alot of problems with them.

Actually, there have been several problems with companies not being able to agree on a standard regarding DRM and other copyright issues with Blu-Ray drives. Google it.

I can't find the link now, but there was a link on google news saying the copyright management to be used in both blu-ray and hd-dvd has been agreed on and finalised.

also to mAcOdIn, why don't you believe anything Sony says? They stuck to the last release date they confirmed, which was for the Europe launch of the PSP. They said it would release in Europe on Sep 1st, and it did. So, from what I can see, they did tell the truth.

we all knew that but delays can be good.. in a sense. look how quick they put the xbox360 on the market and i hear there are alot of problems with them.

I don't know if you can call a product that was starting to be worked on since the x-box 1 can be called quick to the market; it would be first to the market. Mine works fine; but no doubt the problem people are having are currently being fixed.

But I was expecting spring launch in Japan na/eur later > '07.