There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

buying a digitalcam

hi i'm going to buy a new camera

and i don't know so much about cams

so here are some i thougt would be good ?

Canon EOS 350D + EF-S 18-55 mm

Olympus E-500 + 14-45 mm

Nikon D50 + 18-55 mm

Olympus E-500 + 17,5-45 mm

witch one sould i buy (New to photo)

i need this because im going to begin at a photo / movie school this fall

they are all in the same category. Go to your favorite shoping center and try them all, feel them in your hand and do not hesitate to change options in the settings.

They all produce good quality pictures and from there, it's a matter of preference

One thing however, is there a big price difference between the olympus E-500 with the 14mm lens over the 17.5mm lens?

hehe :)

first, I'm on the Nikon side. If you want my personnal opinion, then use them both in your hand. Many ppl don't like XT because of the size. And even if you have small hands, it feels small and the grip isnt good IMO. Unless you want to buy a powergrip of course.

These 2 cameras are the 2 best entry level that you will have fun with both of them.

good luck

I think the Canon XT will be your best bet. I just bought it not long ago, yes the body is small but you can get a battery grip for it and walla problem solved and more juice. (you can get a non canon batter grip for the rebel xt which is identical and is half the price; search for Opteka on amazon and its like 79$) The canon will be better in the long run, but I wont get into that because I dont want a nikon-head to make this a 10 page thread :)

Which ever you choose, either way you will be satisfied!

i love my Canon XT, but everyone's right, if it doesn't feel right when you use it, it doesn't matter how much better one is over the other...

gotta play with them, try them out, then decide...

Whichever you choose, buy the body only. Trust me, you do NOT want the 18-55mm kit lenses (although Nikon's > Canon's).

@urge: How will the Canon be better in the long run?

Whichever you choose, buy the body only. Trust me, you do NOT want the 18-55mm kit lenses (although Nikon's > Canon's).

@urge: How will the Canon be better in the long run?

I'd like to know that also

• 2 weeks later...

You mean, what's not wrong with it?

It's a big jump from the world of point and shoots, but it's also a huge bottleneck for cameras such as the D50 and Rebel XT. Google some reviews or take a look yourself: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon

Well reviews from that website are in overall positive

A very simple, but a great lens for the money.

doesn't waight a ton, not built as strong as an L-series, doesn't have a USM motoer but it's fast and if you don't look at side by side tests with other Super lenses you will see no diference.

You don't see extra sharp, proffessional pic's at the pages here? That's coz every kid that bought a canon kit has it while the pro's always get the top.

This lens can get you GREAT pictures.

So would you please explain for what reasons that kit lenses is bad, just for future shopping/reference.

No, I mean an actual in-depth review, not some user comments.

The kit lenses do not capture a lot of detail, purple fringing can be very evident, barrel distortion + CA are moderate to bad and build quality (perhaps not Nikon's) is really poor. Center sharpness is bearable, but anything in the corners will be extremely soft (more so on Canon's than on Nikon's).

Search fredmiranda or nikonians if you don't believe me.

edit:

zing8qt.th.jpg

This is a shot that I just took with my new Nikon 18-70mm DX. Not the greatest shot, but try to find a 18-55mm shot on pbase with the same image quality.

Edited by Monkeh

Best place to ask is DP Review

One of the best resources on the web. Be sure to check their user

forums. The posts there are from users of the cameras. They also

have reviews of the cameras you listed, links, specs, just about anything

you want.

:alien: