[Review] Silencer 470 ATX

LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES

Reviewed: PC Power and Cooling

Model: Silencer 470

Form Factor: ATX

PACKAGING

The power supply came well packed. No damage. The box was easy to open and the power supply is in a little hole created by some bubble wrap.

FIRST FIND - POWER CORD AND OTHERS

The first thing you find when opening the package is a small area where a power cord, 24 to 20 pin connector, 4 mounting screws in a baggie, and a manual reside. There is a warranty statement on the backside of the manual.

THE POWER SUPPLY

The power supply is well seated between two bubble wrap bricks. The power supply is shrink wrapped. This particular power supply has two Molex lines, a SATA line, a MOBO connector line, and two video card lines I assume (not too familiar as my 9800 uses 4 pin molex). All together there are

Type____Qty

Mobo____1 (24 pin connector w/ NO break away, need to use 20 pin adapter for 20 pin)

SATA____3

MOLEX___5 (over 2 separate lines)

The power supply has a nice black finish and feels nice when rubbed. It has an unusual texture that is rather nice. The power supply is black. There are no apparent build quality issues. The power supply is solid.

TESTING AND USAGE

The power supply was up and running quickly. Here are the specs on the power supply.

+3.3V___28A

+5V_____32A

+12V____26A

-12V____0.08A

-5V______2A

I've read that building code only allows twenty amps max so I don't know how any supply can pull 32A of power?

My old power supply was a Delta electronics power supply that was about 6 years old. It was 237W

+3.3V___24A (-4)

+5V_____20A (-12)

+12V____8A (-18)

-12V____0.08A (=)

-5V_____2A (=)

The real gains as shows above are the 12V line.

CONCLUSION

I've been running the power supply for about 4-6 hours now and no problems. The fan is dead silent. I had to check and see if the fan was running because it is inaudible. The power supply does not have the wound sheaths for the lines and uses zip ties. This is a regret. It cost 100 US dollars from their online store. I ordred it next day air and it was here today early in the morning around 9 AM. The ordering process was fairly easy. I did send them a e-mail about delivery because they charged my credit card and never sent a shipping confirmation e-mail. You will receive ONE e-mail that is a receipt/shipping tracking e-mail. They will only send you one e-mail over the entire purchase event cycle. This is nice, but would have liked to get a shipping confirmation. They have a system where you enter in the order number and it gives you your fedex/ups results but it is delayed about 12-24 hours. I noticed the credit card charge and went to track but it took about half a day to show up in their system as shipped. No big deal.

I really enjoy this power supply. The lines are a little short and may be need to be made longer for bigger cases. Also, the number of molex connectors is low but should be sufficient for most systems. Plus, you will see in the pictures my case can hold two power supplies so another would be easy to add if needed.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The power supply was a snap to install and not very much larger than regular power supplies. It has a 80 mm fan and the model/manuf. you can look for in the pikz if you want. There is a toggle switch for on/off. The power cord is about 6 foot. I am satisfied with this purchase.

LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES*LINK TO PICTURES