• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

xbox 360 and 1.78:1 dvd

stryderjzw    0

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to play my House DVDs on my xbox 360. The House DVDs are widescreen 1.78:1 and when I watch it on my Xbox 360, I get black bars on the top and bottom. The picture is squished vertically.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Justin

Xerxes    235

I haven't got an Xbox 360 just an Xbox so bare with me here, what kind of TV are you using? 4:3 (normal) or 16:9 (widescreen)? if it's a normal TV you can goto your display settings for your 360 and set it to widescreen deliberatly, this will force the 1.78:1 image to take up the entire screen but it will be squashed horizontally, if your TV is the widescreen do the same and the picture will take up the screen and not be distorted...sorry if I was a little vague :blush: hope it helps you out?

Joel    27

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to play my House DVDs on my xbox 360. The House DVDs are widescreen 1.78:1 and when I watch it on my Xbox 360, I get black bars on the top and bottom. The picture is squished vertically.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Justin

You don't see anything on your Xbox 360, you see it on your television/monitor. What type do you have.

The House boxset is not anamorphic, so if you're using a setting for your anamorphic movies (either on your TV or your Xbox), you'll have to adjust it for the House discs (and any other DVDs you have that are not anamorphic.

stryderjzw    0

I have an Xbox 360 hooked up to a Samsung LNR-268W (widescreen LCD TV). I also checked the House boxset. It didn't say anamorphic... it's 1.78:1.

When the Xbox 360 plays House, I get vertical squishing and black bars on the top and bottom. I have to use zoom to get a good picture shape, but that's not what I want.

Any ideas?

Cloud Constructors    8

you have to understand that is just how the xbox 360 plays DVDs so get used to it if you are going to use it as your primary DVD player.

Joel    27

I have an Xbox 360 hooked up to a Samsung LNR-268W (widescreen LCD TV). I also checked the House boxset. It didn't say anamorphic... it's 1.78:1.

When the Xbox 360 plays House, I get vertical squishing and black bars on the top and bottom. I have to use zoom to get a good picture shape, but that's not what I want.

Any ideas?

Yes, use Zoom. Your Xbox is set to play anamorphic DVDs, and House is not anamorphic. So, you get the bars on the top and bottom, and maybe the sides also, depending on the setting of your machine/TV. Zoom is your only choice to view these episodes on the whole widescreen. Interestingly, the menus ARE anamorphic, so they should display normally as you are currently set up.

John    7
House is not anamorphic. So, you get the bars on the top and bottom, and maybe the sides also, depending on the setting of your machine/TV. Zoom is your only choice to view these episodes on the whole widescreen. Interestingly, the menus ARE anamorphic, so they should display normally as you are currently set up.

What kind of dumbass content author would do that? :wacko: Either the whole disk (menus and all) should be anamorphic, or it shouldn't. Preferably, it should be.

stryderjzw    0

Well, jeez, that sucks.... I might just have to get another DVD player, if the Xbox 360 can't play them right.... Setting Zoom isn't the greatest thing, but I guess I'll have to make do.

I was kinda confused why the menus are fine, but the content is not. :(

Thanks everyone!

gunnerhkjp    0

Well, jeez, that sucks.... I might just have to get another DVD player, if the Xbox 360 can't play them right.... Setting Zoom isn't the greatest thing, but I guess I'll have to make do.

I was kinda confused why the menus are fine, but the content is not. :(

Thanks everyone!

Does it play properly on normal DVD players?

If it does, then you should tell microsoft about it. It won't be that hard to fix.

If you don't tell them, it will never be fixed.

Joel    27

What kind of dumbass content author would do that? :wacko: Either the whole disk (menus and all) should be anamorphic, or it shouldn't. Preferably, it should be.

I have Season 1 of the Teen Titans, which is a 1.33:1 aspect ratio because it is a televised cartoon. Would you believe the menus are anamorphic? :blink: What's up with that?

jackwanders    0

"anamorphic"

you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means. (reference?)

DVD menus are created by computer. They cannot be 'anamorphic'. When a film is said to be 'anamorphic', the word refers to how the filmmaker captures a widescreen image using standard 35mm film. DVD menus aren't captured on film, and cannot therefore be 'anamorphic'. Anamorphic has everything to do with picture quality, and nothing to do with aspect ratio, other than the fact there there are different types of anamorphic lenses which produce various aspect ratios.

I think what you're referring to is the ability for the DVD menu to fill the screen, regardless of whether it's 16x9 or 4x3. This is probably more a result of the DVD creators creating separate menus for each aspect ratio. At least that's my best guess.

Cloud Constructors    8

As far as I know, the XBOX 360 does not support PROGRESSIVE SCAN. Frankly, the dvd player sucks but I still use it because it does the job.

Joel    27

"anamorphic"

you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means. (reference?)

DVD menus are created by computer. They cannot be 'anamorphic'. When a film is said to be 'anamorphic', the word refers to how the filmmaker captures a widescreen image using standard 35mm film. DVD menus aren't captured on film, and cannot therefore be 'anamorphic'. Anamorphic has everything to do with picture quality, and nothing to do with aspect ratio, other than the fact there there are different types of anamorphic lenses which produce various aspect ratios.

I think what you're referring to is the ability for the DVD menu to fill the screen, regardless of whether it's 16x9 or 4x3. This is probably more a result of the DVD creators creating separate menus for each aspect ratio. At least that's my best guess.

Great. My DVD player automatically displays an image enhanced for 16x9 televisions. This means that the menu is stretched from top to bottom. The TV squishes it back to normal size for an improved picture quality. That's 'anamorphic'. Look it up.