PS3 Officially Delayed

Sony?s new PlayStation 3 was widely expected to be introduced this spring, but will be delayed as the company fine-tunes the chips that are crucial to the success of the console?s Blu-ray function. The PlayStation 3 ?- which is being called ?the poor man?s Blue-ray? ?- is vital to Sony?s plans because it plays Blu-ray discs as well as videogames.

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 ?delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up,? Stringer boasts.

Blu-ray is the system developed by Sony to view next-generation high-definition DVDs. Rival format HD DVD is championed by Toshiba. Microsoft recently joined the HD DVD camp, a move that came as its Xbox 360 videogame console is trying to grab market share from PlayStation, the industry leader.

Source: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ps3-delay...cial-158570.php

I didn't notice anyone else posting this so thought I might as well. It hasn't hit many sites yet. The only thing that isn't really addressed in the interview is whether this delay affects the Japanese launch. I'd assume both Japan and North America will get the PS3 this winter rather then the typical gap between the two launches.

I still havn't decided whether to buy the PS3 or not (I've never owned a PSX or PS2 so I've missed many of the big franchies, aside from Final Fantasy). But lol chances are I wouldn't be able to afford it until the Holidays anyway.. And if it's anything like the 360 launch, it's going to be hell finding one.

Hopefully this will also mean Sony won't take such a massive loss on each console.. As it stands right now they'd have to price the thing so high or take a $300+ loss on each unit. Since that's mainly thanks to the brand-new Blueray technology, it should drop quite a bit in price by 2007.

I'll buy it just because it'll be nice to have it, I can't wait to play UT2007 and I hope they make improvements to their online service.

I didnt think anyone was really expecting it to be out this spring, current thoughts are late 2006, early 2007, or am I wrong?

I think all in all this is a wise choice for Sony to make. If they where still pushing for a spring release there would have been little to no titles around for it.

This way they can fine tune the hardware as well as give the developers time to develop the games.

nowhere in that text does it say ps3 is delayed

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays

originally rollout date was spring/summer :rolleyes:

nowhere in that text does it say ps3 is delayed

it says by holiday time, originally ( i think last year at e3) they said that it would be out by spring this year...

i bet MS is rejoicing at this point

Not surprising. There wouldn't be a point to a rushed Spring launch. Heck, even Blu-ray could be delayed again because of DRM bickering. Might as well play it safe.

Again, NO ONE AT SONY has said the PS3 has been delayed people...

Confirmation of this is now appearing on gaming sites.

What are you talking about? The Chairmain/CEO said it's launching at the end of 2006, not Spring like originally thought..

They don't specificly mention the Japanese release, but one can assume this affects Japan as well. Also technically they've never made an official statement concerning the PS3 release in North America, so all we knew was this Spring 2006 release date mentioned in previous statements.

So I think this qualifies as an official delay.

The only thing stringer said in Verity that WAS quoted is this.

"delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up"

The rest was written by the people at 1up.

Where is this an "official delay," it is just another article with another speculation.

Gaming-Age has a great compilation of all the threads on the different PS3 launch windows and articles.

Stringer does not say anything about a delay in the article.

Variety: "Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays"

Stringer: If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts.

Variety was the one who said it is going to be released for the holidays, not Stringer.

Variety.com PS3 report confirms absolutely nothing

OMFG, Variety scooped the PS3 release date?! There's a deceptive rumor circulating various gaming sites that Variety.com's profile of Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer reveals official information about the PlayStation 3 release date. Numerous claims report that within the article Stringer confirms that the PS3 has been delayed until the holiday 2006 season. Let's take a closer look:

"Sony's new PlayStation 3 was widely expected to be introduced this spring, but will be delayed as the company fine-tunes the chips that are crucial to the success of the console's Blu-ray function... Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts."

Stringer has said absolutely nada (on record) to Variety.com about the PS3 release date. Instead, the article simply offers further speculation about the console's debut. Sorry folks, we're still in the dark. The question is, why does Sony want it that way?

joystiq

[sarcasm]I love you Sony. Keep delaying things. Maybe you can release PS3 when the world ends. I can see many people buying the PS3 then, honestly.[/sarcasm]

In order for it to be released in the official Spring 2006 season, it would have to be released between May 23 (launch of Blu-Ray) and June 23rd (end of Spring).

Seeing as how it takes at LEAST 2 months to ramp up any kind of decent production in the 500,000+ range, the PS3 will not see the light of day in Spring. Heck, we haven't even seen the thing play games on REAL HARDWARE!!! It's doubtful that the PS3 will come here before the end of year, at least not without real shortages. The complexity of the design of the PS3 makes me believe it will achieve relatively low yields during the initial manufacturing period leading to either a 2007 US release, or one crazy eBay Christmas.

Anyone notice how Europe always gets the short end of the stick. They probably won't get the PS3 until 2008 the way this looks.

Where is this an "official delay," it is just another article with another speculation.

Gaming-Age has a great compilation of all the threads on the different PS3 launch windows and articles.

thats what i mean

the only launch date sony have said in spring, and that could be in japan for all we know

so ps3 coming out in the us in fall/winter wouldnt mean its delayed

if the ps3 isnt out anywhere before 21 june its officially delayed

I'll wait til E3 (in May) and then hear the truth, i'm sure thats when it'll be announced,

My guess is Summer in Japan, Xmas Holiday in North America, Spring for Europe. ;)

[sarcasm]I love you Sony. Keep delaying things. Maybe you can release PS3 when the world ends. I can see many people buying the PS3 then, honestly.[/sarcasm]

Not even a good trolling post. Needs a little work. I really don't care when the system comes out, I'm not getting it until there are actually a few good games out for the system. The 360 doesn't even have that many good games out yet, not worth buying, not to mention that they released their system many months ago and still very hard to find in the retail channels.