Opera & DS

Opera Web Browser  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy it, and for how much is reasonable?

• Yes and I think $30+ is reasonable.
    • Yes and I think $20-$30 is reasonable.
    • Yes and I think $10-$20 is reasonable.
    • Yes and I think under $10 is reasonable.
    • No, to expensive no matter the cost.
    • No, I hate Opera Web Browser.
    • No, I hate Nintendo DS.
    • No, I hate Nintendo DS and Opera Web Browser
    • No, who browses on such a small screen anyway.

So what do you guys think? Would you buy it? And how much would you pay for it? Is it truly just a gimmick? And what are the plans for a release time anyway?

:) have fun.

Oh and I would buy it and I think $10 - $20 is reasonable but would consider paying more.

However, I do question it's gimmickness.

I think it will be cool and I'll pay $30+ for it. Opera is already my browser of choice and I'm sure they'll do an awesome job with this. There is already a browser for DS Linux, but it's text driven and wants that but Linux geeks?

-bYtE' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:13' post='587280593']

I'm gonna get it. Opera is really good at displaying webpages on small screens, and I'm sure DS will be great to browser with, especially with the stylus.

I just saw a demo on TV, and it looks awesome. It shows the whole webpage on the bottom screen, and a zoomed up view on the top. Where you zoom can be controled with the stylus.

Absolutely brilliant.

Well, I think it would be nice, but if all it is gonna be is a web browser, then I might not get it unless its cheap. I would hope you could download demos of games, or patches or extra content for furture games, not just use it as a web browser.

I just saw a demo on TV, and it looks awesome. It shows the whole webpage on the bottom screen, and a zoomed up view on the top. Where you zoom can be controled with the stylus.

Absolutely brilliant.

Wow that sound really awesome! That is a good idea I wonder how I can see that video... Cool.

Absolutely brilliant.

Actually there are two modes. There's that one they designed for the DS and then there's a mode where it acts more like Opera for a mobile phone (or, like the real Opera when it's in small screen rendering mode).

• 1 month later...

It better b better than the psp browser then i'd buy it

Of course it will be... 2 screens, one of them a touch screen. That right there makes it better already, screw that PSP onscreen keyboard which takes years to type with, now it'll be a tap-tap-tap and wah-la, a whole page typed :p.

IMHO, its a rip off. Even the opera PC browser is free now.

Personally, I usually wouldn't pay more than $10 for a web browser, which is about ?5.50 over here in the UK.

But if I did own a DS, I would probably buy it, just because of the way the touch sceen and stylus could be used.

But still, $32 for a web browser (the price according to a google search), it is a bit of a rip off.

• 1 month later...

So is there even an ETA on when this hits the states or europe?.... or better yet... will I be able to import it from lik sang and it will be compatible with the us version?...that tv tuner looks interesting too... although I doubt it would get great reception

Sounds cool to me. The first thing that comes to mind though is does it support java,flash,etc?

Nope, javascript will probably be it.

So is there even an ETA on when this hits the states or europe?.... or better yet... will I be able to import it from lik sang and it will be compatible with the us version?...that tv tuner looks interesting too... although I doubt it would get great reception

The 'tuner' has no chance of leaving Japan. It isn't just tuning normal TV channels.

I doubt that the tuner would sell very well in the states... air broadcast stations are dying out around here. Unless there was a satalite service where you could get a signal just about anywhere (like XM Radio), then I doubt anyone would even be interested.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of security risks are involved with this Opera DS gamepak. My understanding is that there will be a GBA cartridge (i hope they make a small one for the DS Lite) to store internet cache and settings... So there is a potential for some malicious code to present itself on the GBA cartridge. I hope there isn't a way to make your DS a dud through software (maybe forcing a ROM flash behind your back?). It would equally suck to have to download and install updates to the browser that take up space on the GBA cartridge.

It would be best if they take their time and work out any potential problems before unleashing to the consumers. I still can't wait though..it looks really cool.

I wonder if I should have used anough or enough...

Probably enough as anough isn't a word ;). Other than that, Opera is a great browser but there is no way in hell I would pay an extra 30$ for something i have for free.

Of course it will be... 2 screens, one of them a touch screen. That right there makes it better already, screw that PSP onscreen keyboard which takes years to type with, now it'll be a tap-tap-tap and wah-la, a whole page typed :p.

Logitech KB?