****** Dad

Alright,

My dad and I dont get along at all, we havent said one word to each other in about three months, and before that we only shouted at each other. Im stating this so I dont get the 'just ask him' replys.

Now, my dad has discovered torrents and also insists in making his up ratio higher that his down on this site he is a member of. I've noticed my internet going uber slow and was wondering wtf is going on.

He went out today, so I went on his PC (which is on 24/7 downloading) and discovered a total of 21 torrents being uploaded and download, which is just ****ing ###### of him. Im not sure if hes doing this solely to **** me off (he knows I cant play games online when downloading heavily and he knows the internet moves alot slower.)

Anyway, is there a program I can use to be able to stop and start his connection remotely as I wish. I'm on my PC long after he goes to bed (when he starts more downloads) and I'm ****ing sick of him being a ******.

Oh and by the way I pay half of the monthly broadband bill, this is to stop the 'well he pays for it, he can do what he wants' replys.

Thanks,

Andi

with windows xp i believe if your the remote admin computer on a network domain you can restrict internet to any computer on the network

Sounds like a happy household.

If you can create a user account on his computer, you could remote desktop the thing and shut down his connection or limit his upload speed while he's gone.

Depending on what router you have, you could restrict his computers internet access at will (or at certain times of the day/night) through router settings.

Or you could just slap him in the face like the bitch that he is.

Alright,

My dad and I dont get along at all, we havent said one word to each other in about three months, and before that we only shouted at each other. Im stating this so I dont get the 'just ask him' replys.

Now, my dad has discovered torrents and also insists in making his up ratio higher that his down on this site he is a member of. I've noticed my internet going uber slow and was wondering wtf is going on.

He went out today, so I went on his PC (which is on 24/7 downloading) and discovered a total of 21 torrents being uploaded and download, which is just ****ing ###### of him. Im not sure if hes doing this solely to **** me off (he knows I cant play games online when downloading heavily and he knows the internet moves alot slower.)

Anyway, is there a program I can use to be able to stop and start his connection remotely as I wish. I'm on my PC long after he goes to bed (when he starts more downloads) and I'm ****ing sick of him being a ******.

Oh and by the way I pay half of the monthly broadband bill, this is to stop the 'well he pays for it, he can do what he wants' replys.

Thanks,

Andi

Install some kind of remote service, like VNC, on his PC, then @ night, Pause his downloads, then resume them before you go to bed.

There was a post a while back about someone's sister having 9 webcams, and it using all the bandwith...they found him some software...!? I know it isnt much help, but there is a solution.

yea just pull the ethernet cord / wireless out of the computer and just fully deny it coz he will go nuts wondering why internet dosent work lol .... or just report him to MPAA, RIAA or whoever lol

Do you have QoS on your router? If you do, you can limit how fast he upload and download. :devil:

yea just pull the ethernet cord / wireless out of the computer and just fully deny it coz he will go nuts wondering why internet dosent work lol .... or just report him to MPAA, RIAA or whoever lol

ha, that is the best answer...report your dad to the RIAA.

No don't report him because thats going to **** with your internet too.. And do you have a router? you could restrict his internet.

tlogank had a good idea too.

Simple pay for your own connection, all of it. Then you can connect anytime you want. If I was paying half I would stop paying because you certainly are not getting half of the bandwidth that your paying for.

ya I feel your pain, when ever I even upload at 28kb with 1 torrent my internet connection goes as slow as snot, I can't even fathom 21 diff torrents

Let me explain this to you from a more "elder" aspect.

Don't touch his computer. You want to play games and are upset by the internet provided to you by your father, then pay for your own. If I had a son who did that to me, I would remove the computer from the room unless you have a job and bought it yourself, in which case I would cut you off from the internet.

And if you have a job and bought it yourself, then you should pay for your own internet if you're upset about your bill-payers surfing habits.

Your relationship with your father should be your first priority, playing games should be second. If you touched my computer while I wasn't talking to you, you'd be in for some big suprises.

Messing with routers, vnc, remote admin, etc. wouldn't do anything good in the end. Even if he's computer illiterate, he's going to start noticing eventually. Whether or not he's able to do it himself or he has to pay for the cable company/tech support, it's not going to end good for you. Trust me, as someone who's fought with his father in the past, there is no good solution which involves trying to cut him off from something he pays for.

Edited by BigDaddy5

Many routers (I know belkins do) have the ability to shut down internet access after a certain time to certain MAC or IP addresses. What kind of router do you have? You could also try bandwidth throttling as mentioned above.

Don't touch his computer. You want to play games and are upset by the free internet provided to you by your father, then pay for your own. If I had a son who did that to me, I would remove the computer from the room unless you have a job and bought it yourself, in which case I would cut you off from the internet.

The d00d said he pays for half the internet fee. Sounds like an ###### dad to me...

Don't touch his computer. You want to play games and are upset by the free internet provided to you by your father, then pay for your own. If I had a son who did that to me, I would remove the computer from the room unless you have a job and bought it yourself, in which case I would cut you off from the internet.

Just FYI disturb3d pays for half of the internet, but I do see your point.

as much as i wanna be on your side, BigDaddy5 has a point... best thing to do would be to talk to him about it.. you don't even have to be friendly about it... just say what you think is right.. then go on about your business.

"Update" You pay for half the internet? oh *** no this is all out war.

The remote service seems to be a good bet, though you'd have to get it working when he's not on his computer which could provolk a bigger problem if he catches you on it.

I would suggest just asking him considering you pay for half. Explain that since you share it, that it's only fair to compromise and come to an agreement on a solution. If you come at it with a diplomatic stance he should and hopefully will hear you out. I suggest coming up with a bunch of different strategies for a solution in case he isn't budging on your first choice. This way you have a backup plan instead of an argument.

with windows xp i believe if your the remote admin computer on a network domain you can restrict internet to any computer on the network

Firewalled, but I could try get past it....

Or you could just slap him in the face like the bitch that he is.

Tried that a few times, turns out hes stronger than me....

Install some kind of remote service, like VNC, on his PC, then @ night, Pause his downloads, then resume them before you go to bed.

VNC shows up in the taskbar ;)

I used to do that, but my mum is a light sleeper and I dont like disturbing her when shes sleeping as she wakes up if I try and go downstairs (door opening, house creaking)

Do you have QoS on your router? If you do, you can limit how fast he upload and download. :devil:

Nope :(

No don't report him because thats going to **** with your internet too.. And do you have a router? you could restrict his internet.

tlogank had a good idea too.

Got a router, but cant seem to get MAC address filtering to work... (thats the only sort of thing to restrict access on my router)

Simple pay for your own connection, all of it. Then you can connect anytime you want. If I was paying half I would stop paying because you certainly are not getting half of the bandwidth that your paying for.

Not enough money...

<snippage>

Your relationship with your father should be your first priority, playing games should be second. If you touched my computer while I wasn't talking to you, you'd be in for some big suprises.

Please read my post, I clearly stated I pay half of it. Also, I have tried in the past to get along with him, many times, now I couldnt care less.

Wave' date='Mar 8 2006, 00:34']

The remote service seems to be a good bet, though you'd have to get it working when he's not on his computer which could provolk a bigger problem if he catches you on it.

I would suggest just asking him considering you pay for half. Explain that since you share it, that it's only fair to compromise and come to an agreement on a solution. If you come at it with a diplomatic stance he should and hopefully will hear you out. I suggest coming up with a bunch of different strategies for a solution in case he isn't budging on your first choice. This way you have a backup plan instead of an argument.

If I tried I wouldnt get a response, guaranteed

Oh and btw, the people that have suggested reporting him, I have seriously considered that! But then if I did that my mum and my brother would suffer aswell as not enough income....

Edited by disturb3d

Access the router the router and block his connection and re-open the port after you're done :) AKA Block 6881 port.

Blocking 6881 won't do ****. Just block his IP's access altogether through the router.

just because he pays for half, doesn't mean he's entitled to anything at all. It's in the fathers house, the father can do as he sees fit.

If the kid has any problems with it, he can:

A. Pay for his own connection.

B. See what being an adult is like and move out.

Don't touch his computer. You want to play games and are upset by the internet provided to you by your father, then pay for your own. If I had a son who did that to me, I would remove the computer from the room unless you have a job and bought it yourself, in which case I would cut you off from the internet.

And if you have a job and bought it yourself, then you should pay for your own internet if you're upset about your bill-payers surfing habits.

Messing with routers, vnc, remote admin, etc. wouldn't do anything good in the end. Even if he's computer illiterate, he's going to start noticing eventually. Whether or not he's able to do it himself or he has to pay for the cable company/tech support, it's not going to end good for you. Trust me, as someone who's fought with his father in the past, there is no good solution which involves trying to cut him off from something he pays for.

Most excellent advice.

:yes:

I honestly have no idea what you could do, but tell him (send him a letter if you have to) warning him that whatever internet service he's using will probably find him if he keeps downloading that much.

Better yet, forge a letter from your ISP, send it through the mail, addressed to him saying his internet has been cut. On your router, unplug his ethernet cable and stuff it in the wall, leaving it plugged in on his end, or block his wireless. It'll work for about a month, then when he gets a bill, he'll call saying his internet had been cut because he was downloading torrents. He reports HIMSELF, tries to get mad at you, but at this point you clearly have the upper hand. Not only does it have a 90% success rate, but it would be really funny to see him squirm as the people at your ISP say "We had no idea that you were downloading torrents". Of course, you would lose your internet for a while, but after they checked your computer they would allow you to contuinue having internet, and throw him in jail.

Also, block all torrent ports.

Ok, maybe I had more of an idea than I thought :D

just because he pays for half, doesn't mean he's entitled to anything at all. It's in the fathers house, the father can do as he sees fit.

If the kid has any problems with it, he can:

A. Pay for his own connection.

B. See what being an adult is like and move out.

He's fifteen. That's one year older than me. So, I have one of the best ideas of how tough that would be for him to move out. I won't be moving out until I'm finished university, when I'm about 21. 18 is the minimal age to move out.

Well said.

It'll just put off what you knows coming if you mess with him connection/comp etc.

Confront him, im saying this because it's what you should do and it's easy for me to say sat up here, not in your place.

I honestly have no idea what you could do, but tell him (send him a letter if you have to) warning him that whatever internet service he's using will probably find him if he keeps downloading that much.

Better yet, forge a letter from your ISP, send it through the mail, addressed to him saying his internet has been cut. On your router, unplug his ethernet cable and stuff it in the wall, leaving it plugged in on his end, or block his wireless. It'll work for about a month, then when he gets a bill, he'll call saying his internet had been cut because he was downloading torrents. He reports HIMSELF, tries to get mad at you, but at this point you clearly have the upper hand. Not only does it have a 90% success rate, but it would be really funny to see him squirm as the people at your ISP say "We had no idea that you were downloading torrents". Of course, you would lose your internet for a while, but after they checked your computer they would allow you to contuinue having internet, and throw him in jail.

Also, block all torrent ports.

Ok, maybe I had more of an idea than I thought :D

Awesome! I think that is the best solution given. I wish I could try that on someone I know. :D