• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Words missing in Neowin content

devish    0

1st, I'm not sure if this should go in this section, but I'm using Safari and recently I notice that while some words are missing in neowin's content. But when you view them in IE, they're in green and underlined. Is it me or does someone else have the same problem? If yes, is there a sln?

(Attacked a picture... In the recent news artical... u can see two words missing: "would think _____ has done... at _____ pulling all-nighters...")

post-111175-1141872209.png

planetik    0

Well it could be neowin's fault or intellitext.com's fault.

Unfortunately, I don't use safari (or even have a mac for that matter)

Night.Hawk    0

Those are ads.

I haven't a clue why Safari is blocking them, but you should be able to hover over them and an ad tooltip will pop up that has something to do with the word. If you click on it it takes you to the page.

Edit: Didn't know if you knew what they were or not.

devish    0

It works fine in IE though. I don't know why it doesn't in Safari...

@ NH... yes I'm able to do that... but it's kinda annoying that you need to mouse hover them to see them while you're reading :(

dmeags    0

do you have some kind of ad-blocker?

devish    0

No because I tried this at school, at home, and at my friend's. I at first thought it was my roommate's proxy, but then it happens everywhere I use Safari :/

Night.Hawk    0

Yeah, just tried it out on http://www.snugtech.com/safaritest/ and it does it too. Might be a problem with the CSS? I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't help.

devish    0

I guess I will just have to deal with it :/ o.O

Edrick Smith    112

Happens to me unless I hover over its quite annoying but I've never complained about it. Meh if they dont want me to read the news then i wont! I see how it is I'm not good enough to read it..

Novaoblivion    0

Yeah I have been having the same problem lately, did they change something recently? I have to hover over them to make them show up :(

Ethere    4

Same result here. It's very very annoying. I thought it was just me too. Glad to see it's not just me. No offense guys.

Rudy    457

yea i get the same, this thread should be in the site issue forum though :p i guess i'll try to edit my host file since they're really making it hard to read the content on neowin (and it's really annoying if you hover on top of it by accident :pinch:)

Southern Patriot    962

I don't know what changed. Those adlinks used to work fine in Safari.

Actually, they used to just show up as normal text, with no ad links or popups. Now they act just like they do in IE, except that the color of the text is the same as the background.

aerowave    0

Isn't talking about blocking Neowin's ads and that against the rules?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=389495

Anyway, something definately seems to have changed in how those link ads are displayed. They should get to work on it soon, because it's been happening for a while.

Edrick Smith    112

Where is this Ad Blocking service in Safari?

the evn show    138

solution:

Create a file called "fix-busted-neowin-ads.css" (or whatever name suits you) that contains the following:

a.iAs { color:#000!important; }

Launch Safari.

CMD+,

Advanced,

Stylesheet => 'other?'

choose "fix-busted-neowin-ads.css"

This will force the advertisements to show in regular black text, underlined like the hyperlinks that they are.

You could toss that line at the end of your regular custom stylesheet if you use one.

XeroByte    0

well, it's up to the neowin webmasters to fix this so I'll just wait until they got it fixed.

vip    17

I posted this the other day in site and forum issues, they said it is being worked on ...

aristotle-dude    0

Isn't talking about blocking Neowin's ads and that against the rules?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=389495

Anyway, something definately seems to have changed in how those link ads are displayed. They should get to work on it soon, because it's been happening for a while.

Well in this case, the ads are broken and impeding the enjoyment of neowin for some members using safari.

I've never heard of blocking ads being against the rules. It's your computer, you have a right to block whatever you want to block.

If the management of Neowin do not like it, they should either reconsider using intellitxt and relying on other ad content or finding a way to fix it so that it does not interfere with the ability of members to view content.

Besides, why should I care. I cannot even edit my sig or profile title.

Vice    1,593

It's your computer, you have a right to block whatever you want to block.

It's also Neobond's site, and he can do what ever he wants..

If you are going to block Neowin ad's you shouldn't help others or gloat about yourself blocking them. They are the rules.

+I don't block the ads as I'm to much of a tight ass for SAFT and Safari doesn't have its own blocker.

Rudy    457

If you are going to block Neowin ad's you shouldn't help others or gloat about yourself blocking them. They are the rules.

+I don't block the ads as I'm to much of a tight ass for SAFT and Safari doesn't have its own blocker.

too bad it makes the website really hard to read

Allan    33

I've read though, that using intelliTXT and G Adsense at the same time violates BOTH sets of TOS ... anyone know if that is true?

aristotle-dude    0

I'm sure he does not need you to be his spokesman. There is a problem with the CSS of the intellitxt which makes stories almost impossible to ready in Safari.

Of course he can do whatever he wants but I can also do whatever I want with "my computer". If the advertising becomes obtrusive to the point that stories are unreadable, I think it is fair to do whatever you can to remedy it.

Learn to think for yourself for crying out loud. Nobody likes a suck up.

These types of problems can lead to people leaving a site entirely.

You don't block ads, well good for you. Do you want a cookie? I'm not block ads either other than the broken script screwing up the stories.

Do you click on the ads? If not, what are you bragging about?

Instead of sucking up to people and pretending to be a mod, why don't you prod the management to fix the link css?

lardiop    1

As annoying as some people find them...

I hear they are a huge source of revenue, which is a major reason why Neowin is still here...

Chad    0

I'm sure he does not need you to be his spokesman. There is a problem with the CSS of the intellitxt which makes stories almost impossible to ready in Safari.

Of course he can do whatever he wants but I can also do whatever I want with "my computer". If the advertising becomes obtrusive to the point that stories are unreadable, I think it is fair to do whatever you can to remedy it.

Learn to think for yourself for crying out loud. Nobody likes a suck up.

These types of problems can lead to people leaving a site entirely.

You don't block ads, well good for you. Do you want a cookie? I'm not block ads either other than the broken script screwing up the stories.

Do you click on the ads? If not, what are you bragging about?

Instead of sucking up to people and pretending to be a mod, why don't you prod the management to fix the link css?

Holy crap. Get off your soapbox and lose the attitude. Perhaps if you paid attention more to some of those 'suck ups', we wouldn't have to wade through worthless posts like yours quoted above.

The discussion of blocking site ads is not allowed here, as Neobond has very clearly said.

There is a thread in Site & Forum Issues --> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=440647 . As Joel said, it's an issue with Safari, as the ads work fine in almost any other browser.