Your opinions please!

Question

Hi,

I've almost finished the site now, just got to add a few bits and bobs - so it's a good time for me to get your feedback, in time for me to make any changes before it's completed :D

Basically it's a website where I will offer my web design services from (discounted rates to neowin members!!.. hehe :whistle: ) and i'm just looking for your opinions and comments on the design.

So fire away! http://www.nrmedia.co.uk

I look forward to reading your comments!

Thanks.

25 answers to this question

First impressions are quite good, nicely done.

I'm not so keen on the font used for the navigation menu - and, indeed, that kinda thing might be best of as text rather than an image.

Your Flash image headers seem to fade a little slowly and choppily - might want to increase the framerate and extend the effect to make it smoother.

The websites on your page have no preview, I was excited to see some of your work. I also agree with the other guy, that the images are not idea for the navigation.

Looks clean. However....

it is a cookie-cutter web site design. I've seen a million of them like yours, just a differerent color scheme and photo dumped in. What have you done to make yours stand out? Nothing based on what I see. You're promoting web design - so design!! Your first and lasting impression based on what you have is "I can design what a million others can do". You need to develop a "wow" factor...and there's none there.

Thanks for all the replies people! Much appriciated.

Cheers for the advice on the flash image (thats actually the first time i've used flash, a client wanted a flash banner so i had to give it a go and it's not as difficult as it seems to do basics :D) i'll work on making it look smoother.

As for the navigation, that is in the list of 'things to do', not sure why i put it as an image in the first place really... was probably early hours of the morning!

@Popcorned - Still got to update some of the pages, hopefully will get the portfolio section done this weekend! Will post here when I have just to let you all know!

Once again, thanks for all the replies and keep 'em coming!

Looks clean. However....

it is a cookie-cutter web site design. I've seen a million of them like yours, just a differerent color scheme and photo dumped in. What have you done to make yours stand out? Nothing based on what I see. You're promoting web design - so design!! Your first and lasting impression based on what you have is "I can design what a million others can do". You need to develop a "wow" factor...and there's none there.

Thanks, although i feel quite bummed after reading that lol... makes it sound like weeks of my time has been wasted lol.

I kinda get what you mean, but i think the design is welcoming, it looks clean like you said and imo effective. Do you have any examples of websites with the 'WOW' factor? For some inspiration :D

Thanks for your reply!

Very nice job! The only thing is that I think could be done more nicely is the flash image on top of every page. You might want to change the picture depending on the page you're on, because I find it a little irretating having the same image fade on all pages.

Very nice job! The only thing is that I think could be done more nicely is the flash image on top of every page. You might want to change the picture depending on the page you're on, because I find it a little irretating having the same image fade on all pages.

Thanks mate, given me an idea! Will hopefully get a chance to work on it tomorrow, will post updates :D

Done a few small updates, like the navigation - let me know your comments! Also added a new portfolio page, the ksp ebay template one.

Hopefully will get more done tonight.

Thanks, although i feel quite bummed after reading that lol... makes it sound like weeks of my time has been wasted lol.

I kinda get what you mean, but i think the design is welcoming, it looks clean like you said and imo effective. Do you have any examples of websites with the 'WOW' factor? For some inspiration :D

Thanks for your reply!

Try http://www.coolhomepages.com

Looks good. The menu font looks a whole lot better.

Just woundering... can anyone help me out with some PHP to send the mail from the Contact Us page?? Thanks

I'm personally not a fan of changing the background colors on each page, but hey, its your site.

On the other hand, the body text needs much more padding to it's left & right.

The background on your Portfolio page isn't repeating like the other pages (running at 1600x1200).

It's a nice clean site but I would invest in some different images for the page banners. I have seen those images on several sites already!

Any thoughts on using CSS instead of tables? This would be a great design for CSS.