Tables in Dreamweaver MX

Question

Hi i have to create a website in Dreamweaver MX and i am using tables to set my layout.

I have the navigation to the left and the banner at the top with the body in the centre. when i type in the body and press enter the navigation section moves with the body creating gaps...

Can anyone tell me how i can fix this so the navigation doesnt move with the body :cry:

Thnx for your time :cool:

9 answers to this question

I wouldnt particularly listen to the web standards brigade to be honest.

Master tables before you move onto the CSS nightmare.

edit-

I dont really understand what exactly what the issue is your having, if you could send me the code perhaps...

Edited by DG55

I wouldnt particularly listen to the web standards brigade to be honest.

Master tables before you move onto the CSS nightmare.

edit-

I dont really understand what exactly what the issue is your having, if you could send me the code perhaps...

Yeh ill have to use tables for my first assignment becuase i have 1 week to do it in now :( and then learn css more, atm i only know how to change text and colour etc with css but nothing major.

Problem i was having > I have a table with 4 cells, top2 has the banner and logo, bottom2 cells i have the navigation and the body.. i have 6 links in the navigation that doesnt take up much space really, the body has loads of info in. If i press enter in the body it messes up the navigation aswell.

I split the cells up in the navigation and placed all the buttons in a cell which worked when i previewed it (even though in dreamweaver the top link was messed up)

but... lol ive used my head and have placed the links below the banner and body below all the links, that way i wont have any problems :D i should of though of this earlier..

ill defently be looking and trying to learn css with layouts becuse it will probably be needed for my 2nd assignment anyways. ;)

nah not the widths

sorry im probably confusing, i confuse all my mates when i try to explain somthing :blush:

best way to say is.. make a table in dreamweaver with 2 cells. Type loads in the 1 cell and go to the next, i end up with the cursor in the middle, thats how all my text gets messed up.

Im new to dreamweaver so dont really know much, and the assignment deadline didnt help me much :(

i think i sorted it now anyways by having the links run accross the top of the website :)

thanks for you help guys and girls :D

omg, found it out just looking at the settings :pinch: table properties > vert > set to top

...im so stupid

I think I understand what you mean. Maybe you need to set up the 'main' layout in one table with the cells the way you want them. Then, insert a new table into one of the cells where needed and use this table to type text in. If this isn't what you mean, try posting a screenshot.