• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox360's are awesome

mr_skrilla    0

Wow... I've had my Xbox 360 for about a month and it has been awesome playing games on it, but I finally got Windows XP MCE 2005 running on my desktop and connected it up to 360 and all I can say is that the 360 is great. I downloaded a little application called Transcode360 and I can now stream my DiVX and XviD movies from my PC to my Xbox over my wireless network! I only have an 11mbit/s wiFi network but the videos are still excelent quality and run extremely smooth.

I also have my MP3 library at the touch of a button so I can listen to music in my living room instead of my bedroom where my PC is at.

I highly recomend that if you have an Xbox 360 and have not yet checked out this feature than do it! it's great.

Shaun N.    569

Only problem with mine is that i use my 360 on my pc monitor as the Mrs watches a lot of TV, would this option still be available to me?

MrKuro    0

For games my x360 is fun, but my XBMC enabled modded xbox's are far superior in features relating to media compared to the 360, actually it rapes the socks off it (well except for hd decoding, but everything is much better on XBMC)

LiGhTfast    6

For games my x360 is fun, but my XBMC enabled modded xbox's are far superior in features relating to media compared to the 360, actually it rapes the socks off it (well except for hd decoding, but everything is much better on XBMC)

yup i agree but im still holding off buying a 360 after borowing one and not using it. I use xbmc more than playing games now and dont fancy replacing it untill the 360 is modifiable or MS decide to make a proper media player for it

Joel    27

Moved here

mikebeech    0

Indeed they are.

Roger H.    780

now that GRAW is out for the 360 i'm dying to get one. I got an xbox and a Dell latitude laptop, lol.. anyone wanna buy for a decent enough price? The laptop is a C610 so about $350-$450 would be cool (i seen them selling for more, 760 to be exact)

When Halo3 comes out i'm definitely getting it ho, no if/ands or buts about it!

Elliott    235

XBMC beats the socks off of what is basically Media Center Edition 2005 when using the extender? This is news to me. :p

EduardValencia    0

Only problem with mine is that i use my 360 on my pc monitor as the Mrs watches a lot of TV, would this option still be available to me?

jeje :rofl:

Rudy    457

i find the xbox to be geared to much towards sports and FPS :( thats why i sold mine, the only game i wanted was blue dragon

chimera963    0

sounds like a cool feature, though im holding off for a ps3. i tried call of duty 2 on a 360 in a shop and it looked signicantly better on my pc, but performed like perfectly smooth on the 360, probably coz it looked like it had no AA on. anyway, id get a ps3 just for the selection of games that playstation has to offer, which i prefer to all these brand new games that tend to come out atm. I like to stick to classics like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy, which PS3 will offer.

Cloud Constructors    8

sounds like a cool feature, though im holding off for a ps3. i tried call of duty 2 on a 360 in a shop and it looked signicantly better on my pc, but performed like perfectly smooth on the 360, probably coz it looked like it had no AA on. anyway, id get a ps3 just for the selection of games that playstation has to offer, which i prefer to all these brand new games that tend to come out atm. I like to stick to classics like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy, which PS3 will offer.

I beleive the retail game looked and played better than the demo. I also have Media Center setup on my 360 and it's awesome - I have an entire music video archive.

Rudy, sucks that you sold your XBOX360...too early to sell it!

mr_skrilla, only downside with Transcode360 is that you cannot fast foward or skip to a section in the video once encoded.

mr_skrilla    0

I beleive the retail game looked and played better than the demo. I also have Media Center setup on my 360 and it's awesome - I have an entire music video archive.

Rudy, sucks that you sold your XBOX360...too early to sell it!

mr_skrilla, only downside with Transcode360 is that you cannot fast foward or skip to a section in the video once encoded.

yes, that is a pain... however, I would prefer to be able to watch my divx and xvid movies on my 360 without being able to fast forward rather than not being able to watch them at all unless I converted them all to MPG or wmf,... I'm sure a better option will come out to do this in the future, but for now Transcode360 works.

Toastyone    0

(Y) so true, my xbox still can do more than the 360 can in terms of acting like a media hub, thats why I still have it and why I have not bought a 360 yet....

BlueFighter    0

Microsoft should have gone all the way with the 360's media capabilities, not limiting it like they did :/

I prefer the 360 interface for shared music and picutres (XP, Mac, *NIX) over the MCE Extender function, its slow and unresponsive :(

And the fact Mac users and *NIX users cant stream video at all is just so coward done of Microsoft, my plan was to sell my xbox when i got the 360 but the 360 isnt even close to as good as XBMC.

When the 360 has the capabilities of XBMC i think Microsoft has made a good product, not until then :/

Pc_Madness    3

Since I only have an XP Pro machine atm, can I install MCE on top of that and have it run in the background? Or do I always have to have that blue screen? Going to be a while before I can get my other comp up and running :(

magik    25

Since I only have an XP Pro machine atm, can I install MCE on top of that and have it run in the background? Or do I always have to have that blue screen? Going to be a while before I can get my other comp up and running :(

I don't know if you mean the full-blown Windows Media Center Edition or just the Windows Media Center Extender. The Extender can be installed on any XP machine and run in the background to stream pictures, songs and what have you. The Media Center Edition (full OS) can be used to stream videos along with pictures, songs, etc. While you can't really run a full-blown OS 'in the background' or 'on top of' XP, what you can do is dual-boot Windows XP with Windows Media Center Edition and just boot to whichever you want.

htwho    0

All I can say is that microsoft has shown that video game consoles have now becomes entertainment hubs for the next generation and I'm impressed. Let's see what Sony will do. It better be compatible with everything or it has everything to lose. Nintendo Rev? It's simply going to be a video game console without all the extra feature the 360 has.

sfalcon    0

I think you're confused as to what MCE is. You only see that blue screen (the Media Center Shell) if you run it from the start menu or hit the green button on a remote. Other than that MCE is a fully functional XP install. I run MCE on this machine and I disabled the services for MCE, so it's almost as if I don't have it installed. When I connect the Xbox, it runs MCE as another user and doesn't affect what I'm doing on my PC at the time. So you wouldn't need another PC set up just for MCE.

magik    25

I think you're confused as to what MCE is. You only see that blue screen (the Media Center Shell) if you run it from the start menu or hit the green button on a remote. Other than that MCE is a fully functional XP install. I run MCE on this machine and I disabled the services for MCE, so it's almost as if I don't have it installed. When I connect the Xbox, it runs MCE as another user and doesn't affect what I'm doing on my PC at the time. So you wouldn't need another PC set up just for MCE.

You run the full MCE OS? What services do you have disabled and is that to help run the machine faster? Also, I assume you're able to stream videos to the Xbox 360, correct?

Inertia    41

I love my 360 as a games machine, I had hoped to move my media center and set top boxes out of my lounge and into my server room and use the 360`s extender as the frontend in my lounge, however there are 2 reasons I decided not to 1) the screaming fan in the 360 still screams (surley its doesn tneed to be as loud when not gaming) when you arent gaming, so in MCE extender mode, unless you ahve the TV on loud you have that annoyign noise ruining the audio. anbd 2) lack of codecs supported by the extender, I archive aqll of my recorded tv and all of my DVDs to DivX (with AC3 2.1 or 5.1 sound) , and I cannot play them back without a very dodgy an d messy to use hack, once codec support for divx . xvid and maybe an SDK to create codecs is intorduced, then the mce extender will be 10x better, if the fan can be slowed down in mce mode too ,then that woudl make it usable for me.

as for gamign on the think though, I love it, not a single complaint from me there, and I always game loud or with headphones, so the fan gets drowned out, and Im sur ethe high speed of the fans is more justified when gaming.

sfalcon    0

You run the full MCE OS? What services do you have disabled and is that to help run the machine faster? Also, I assume you're able to stream videos to the Xbox 360, correct?

Yeah, I try to keep my number of services ~25 so the system doesn't bog down if I want to game on the PC or whatever. I think the MCE component adds about 6 services that can be disabled. They range from scheduled recordings in the background (I don't record any TV currently) to Guide Updates and other things. I do keep the Media Extender service running, that's the only one I need. Yes, I can stream videos to the 360.

magik    25

Yeah, I try to keep my number of services ~25 so the system doesn't bog down if I want to game on the PC or whatever. I think the MCE component adds about 6 services that can be disabled. They range from scheduled recordings in the background (I don't record any TV currently) to Guide Updates and other things. I do keep the Media Extender service running, that's the only one I need. Yes, I can stream videos to the 360.

Ah, that's pretty cool, maybe I'll run MCE on my machine as the main OS too. Thanks :)

golazo    0

magik i run mce2005 and i dont disable any services, still runs perfectly fast for me..