• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[how to] Ubuntulooks on other distros or Breezy

ViperSnake    0

You've already seen the new Ubuntu theme right? Well, the only distro that will have it default is the Ubuntu 6.04 version...but why leave Breezy or other Gnome distros out? It's actually very easy to install the new theme...which is actually powered by a new GTK engine based off ClearLooks Cairo. You will need a GTK version with Cairo support (heck, if you can run ClearLooks Cairo, you can run this!) and your prefered way of theme selection.

1. Go here ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/gnome/gt...es-ubuntulooks) and click on your Architecture to download the .deb file. But wait! Only Debian Distros can use Debs! But, hold it right there, you are allowed to extract them you know!

2. Go into Nautilus, right click the Ubuntulooks package (I recomend you put it in a seperate folder) and select "Open with Archive Manager". Then, click extract and keep the default settings. This will leave 3 files, data.tar.gz, control.tar.gz and debian-binary.

3. Extract data.tar.gz and you'll notice a new folder become extracted, usr (hold it again! That sounds famliar, for some reason data.tar.gz contains a file structure simliar to the root file system to tell DPKG where to put the files, this will help you).

4. (in this next step, when I use `, i am refering to the stuff at the ` as whereever you extracted data.tar.gz)

Open `/usr/lib/gtk2/2.4.0/engines, and as root copy the 2 files in there to /usr/lib/gtk2/2.4.0/engines (ubuntulooks.so and ubuntulooks.la).

5. Then, go down to `/usr/share/themes/, you will find a folder in there called Human, if using Ubuntu Breezy or just want to, rename it to Ubuntulooks and copy it to either ~/.themes/ or as root to /usr/share/themes

6. Go into Gnome theme settings and select Ubuntulooks or Human as your theme, then select (download it if you don't have it) ClearLooks 2 as your metacity theme.

Here's what I was able to do using this technique, note that this is 5.10, not 6.04 of Ubuntu!

marchubuntulooks7ne.th.jpg

You can use a simliar method to get the new icons shown, go to packages.ubuntu.com, search for ubuntu-artwork on Dapper, extract it using steps 1,2, and 3, just copy `/usr/share/icons/Human instead of from earlier to the correct spot (/usr/share/icons or ~/.icons/)

Edit: Go down to my latest post for important information for Non-Ubuntu users

Edited by ViperSnake

S3V3N    0

GREAT GUIDE! I reccomend this to anyone :)

forster    23

Im not an Ubu'er but have been meaning to give this a go. May come in handy, thanks (Y)

MasterC    10

I get 404ed when I click the link :unsure:

markjensen    98
I get 404ed when I click the link :unsure:

Remove the trailing ")" in the url. It doesn't belong there.

ViperSnake (or a mod) can modify that first post to fix the URL.

MasterC    10

Thanks Mark!

ViperSnake    0

With my recent switch to Fedora Core, I've noticed that Non-Debian distros of Linux do not have the ability to extract .deb files for some reason...a very dumb choice...

But, my ZIP program on Windows (7-Zip) happens to have the ability to extract Debian Packages. So, I've basically built a "package" with the files used to make the Ubuntulooks engine work in a ZIP file, even includes instructions!

Please note...the version of the Ubuntulooks theme included is an updated version for Ubuntu 6.06 Flight 6 which happens to have a more caramelish shade of Orange.

Instructions:

1. Extract File

2. Continue by reading instructions in Readme

And for my unregistered friends:

http://rapidshare.de/files/16994285/ubuntulooks.zip.html

ubuntulooks.zip