I'm one of the 'official' beta testers of ?Torrent, if you will. And as many of you probably know there is a Webui coming for it soon, the actual engine (?Torrents part) is actually already in the 1.5 stable. Directrix is working on the webui and I had a little idea for a side project using the webui engine.

So I thought it would be cool to have a dynamic sig that shows current download/upload speed, number of torrents, etc. You can see the result in my sig. Dirextric helped a bit with the code, but there was an issue with caching. Everytime someone loads a thread with your sig in it, you don't want the script requesting your PC for information from ?Torrent. So I added two methods of caching:

1. Cache every x requests. For example, every "10" visits to the script, the remote ?Torrent will be accessed once.

2. Cache every x mins. For example, every "10" minutes after the ?Torrent was last accessed, access it again to get a more up to date cached image.

What I'm wondering is, would anyone be interesting in having something like this as their own sig?

And if you are, or if your talented with design skills and feel bored, could you give me some more designs to use as backgrounds to the sig (PNG's). Here's my original background that my made when I first had the idea (The actual one in my sig was made by Directrix I think) (based on the website made by ignorantcow).

post-75637-1142291569.png

Edited by DomZ

Seems pointless, why would anyone care how many torrents you are downloading and at what speed? Maybe you should list the torrents you are downloading.

Could work well. Are you also looking to make the info available for use in other ways? XML files or similar could be handy for use in Samurize configs or similar.

^B.O.B that's quite a good idea, a program could be easily written to do that. (rather than a php script). I'm sure someone will write it when the Webui is released.

PrimoTurbo: That's like saying why would anyone care about your computer specs? Or what songs you've been listening to lately? Or how much counterstrike you play? (Seen sigs showing all this information). It could be argued that all sigs are pointless really.

As for the list idea, I just didn't think that it would be appropiate.

i think it would be cool, even though its just another sig gimmock that nobody cares about.. its still cool :D

and that sig image wiith the killer bee is pretty snazzy.

You should add: total uploaded and total downloaded :)

Now that's a good idea. We could finally call someone a "leecher" and mean it! :D

Yeh that's a good idea, but the webui at the moment doesn't get that information from ?Torrent, and I'm not sure if it ever will.

What is the purpose of reporting your download speeds and how many torrents you get? Having sigs that have music, computer specs and even game time has at least some relevance. Why not have a list of the torrents you are downloading, give people an idea. Also maybe link them.

What is the purpose of reporting your download speeds and how many torrents you get? Having sigs that have music, computer specs and even game time has at least some relevance. Why not have a list of the torrents you are downloading, give people an idea. Also maybe link them.

I see where you are coming from, and it's a fair point. Either way you look at people are going to think certain types of sigs are useless. I think gaming sigs are useless, but that's solely because I don't game often, or simply don't have the time to. I think my sig is useful/interesting because it creates awareness of the client I am using (The "Firefox user" type sigs) and I don't think this exact idea for a sig has been done yet, though could be wrong. Still, the bee logo is sexy; you've got to admit that.

The links to torrents you are downloading is interesting, but hard to implement, as well as warez/private tracker issues (pass keys).

Thanks for the input though.

Edited by DomZ