help with toshibo TV

Hey,

I bought a Toshiba 26hf84a, and have had it for a little over a year now.

I have a few questions..

1. When using component input, there is a white line at the top of the screen, more noticable during black scenes. Is this fixable?

2. When using my xbox via component, the image is very dark. I need to turn up the brightness into the 40's for it to be comfortably viewed, but this results in the blacks looking like washed purple. Is this fixable?

3. What are the ideal settings for analog TV viewing? I returned my HD box today, and have to use basic cable now.

4. What is calibration? and how is it done?

5. Are there any problems about this TV that I should know about?

Thanks alot, I appreciate any responses.

IK.

*edit*

I noticed that when I view HD material, the TV only shows some of the image. A bit of it is cut off at the edges. Is there any way to eliminate this? (eg; on the discovery channel, the HD logo is cutoff. On my 51" sony, this doesn't happen.) I think it's called overscan.

also, here are some shots:

sample1large0ld.jpg

sample3large2aa.jpg

forzastandardsettinglarge6aj.jpg

This is Forza with the brightness on 50 (full)

forza50brightnesslarge6il.jpg

This is Forza with the brightness on Standard. It is too dark to play.

dsc00328large8qg.jpg

dsc00329large9fe.jpg

^^These are all samples of the SD TV tuner. Do they look alright? It isn't very sharp, and I don't know if that's normal.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

IK

Edited by 999

1. Sounds like their may be a misalignment with the tube.

2. Check to see if the game has video controls. Some games let you control how bright the image is. Also, I can't remember and i'm too lazy to go dig through my xbox to check for sure, but the dashboard may offer some basic video controls also.

3. It varies for each set. However, to preserve your set, you may want to use wide zoom to fill the screen with the image. Having the bars on the side will unevenly wear the phosphors.

4. Calibration is the process of fine tuning the image settings on your set to get an accurate image. The AVIA discs are properly the most popular calibration discs on the market. Pop it into your dvd player and go from there.

5. I haven't heard of any problems. I sometimes feel the image is a little dull for my taste, but it's not a bad unit by any means.

^^ Thanks.

How do I go about fixing the overscan. I have been told on other forums that I need to access the set's service menu, and that it can definately be fixed.

I just don't know how to get into the menu.

I have no idea how to get to the service menu. However, I can't believe overscan would be as bad as to cut off an entire logo. I'm thinking the set may simply be in zoom mode or something.

Im definately sure that the zoom for the set and the tv were on the proper setting.

but Im having a much bigger, more troubling problem:

This morning, I turned on my TV and it made a loud buzzing noise. The power light didn't turn on, and there was no picture or sound. Just a buzzing noise (not from the speakers) coming from the inside of the TV.

I tried turning it off, but it didn't, and I had to unplug it. I tried turning it on again, and the same thing happened.

I am worried, since I don't have an extended warranty on this set and I will have to pay for repairs.

maybe the fuse blew?

what could have cause this to happen? I didn't change anything, It just happened overnight.

I'm not an electrician and won't pretend to be, but maybe there was a surge? I'm just guessing.

ya my friend had tons of problems with his blowing all the time and he got a panasonic 26 hdtv tube and works fine.

Yeah, a buzzing is definitely a firing issue. Save yourself a trip to the ER and don't own the thing yourself! I learned the hard way.

^^ It would make more sense if the above statement had 'fix' in place of 'own'.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure what you mean.

I haven't called tech support yet, and I really really hope that it is an inexpensive fix. To me, inexpensive is under $40. (we all know that won't happen.)

^^ It would make more sense if the above statement had 'fix' in place of 'own'.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure what you mean.

I haven't called tech support yet, and I really really hope that it is an inexpensive fix. To me, inexpensive is under $40. (we all know that won't happen.)

he meant "open". Never open a CRT unless you're a pro.

I doubt it'll cost any less than $75 to repair.