'PS Business Briefing 2006'

On the IRC channel I am in it is unconfirmed, but they say the price may be $350. That sounds way too unrealistic though, that pretty much would put the nail in the coffin for the Xbox360.

a few more updates. now all i need is the price :D

"Online network for PS3 is free of charge for the basic service."

"PlayStation 3 to be 100% backwards compatible, but all legacy titles played on the system will be displayed at high-definition resolutions"

"PlayStation 3 to be 100% backwards compatible, but all legacy titles played on the system will be displayed at high-definition resolutions"
Oh thank God. My PS2 is making my eyes bleed with games that are not in progressive scan.

F**k yeah! Now I can play all those PS2 titles I didn't get to play.

"Online network for PS3 is free of charge for the basic service."

Well Xbox 360 includes this too. This would be good if it allowed you to play online for free however, but I doubt it.

Oh crap:

60gb hdd w/linux LINUX PREINSTALLED

Source: http://japan.cnet.com/news/tech/story/0,20...20098591,00.htm

As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere.

Interestingly, Kutaragi didn't confirm if the system will actually ship with a hard drive or not -- just that it's required. It's semantics, we know, but we thought that it was worth pointing out.

Stay tuned.

In one of several compelling announcements made in Tokyo at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing today, SCE president Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the final PS3 development kits will be shipping out to production houses in June. Additionally, there are 15 different companies making tools and middleware for the SDK.

Source: IGN

Edited by jmole

March 14, 2006 - Sony today finally unveiled info on its PlayStation 3 online plans at its PlayStation Business Briefing currently happening in Japan.

Beginning at the system's launch, currently scheduled for sometime this November, the system will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat, commerce features that includes bootable software via the hard drive.

The service was created with the help of Sony Online Entertainment. Best of all, the "basic" service will be free of charge.

Man my head hurts, I refreshing like 10 webpages.

Oh yes!

At the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, Ken Kutaragi has just added another infamous quote to his belt, this time stating that PS3 games are "live" and that the PS3 concept is "4D".

He claims that games have gone from 8-bit to 16-bit planes, to the "space" that you saw on the PS1/PS2, and now PS3 will be "live".

Edited by jmole

And supposedly the price is now $400-$450.

Well I'm going to bed, I guess that pretty much is it. It looks like it is already over for the Xbox360 before the PS3 is even released.

And supposedly the price is now $400-$450.

Well I'm going to bed, I guess that pretty much is it. It looks like it is already over for the Xbox360 before the PS3 is even released.

Huh ?

Anyways on IGN it says:

March 14, 2006 - As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral and the unit will ship with the system right out of the box.

In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere.

Does this mean its going to ship with the system ? Or just at the same time ?

Sounds all good! 60GB HDD should be pretty sweet for recording shows. As they said it comes with tivo functionality.

The only thing that I'm worried about now is price. 60GB 2.5" HDDs are quite expensive. As are BD discs that all the games will be in. Not to mention the price of premium online service.

I mean, this is all great that this news is coming out, but how can they keep us waiting on the price? Being a gamer today is damn expensive. =/

Sounds all good! 60GB HDD should be pretty sweet for recording shows. As they said it comes with tivo functionality.

The only thing that I'm worried about now is price. 60GB 2.5" HDDs are quite expensive. As are BD discs that all the games will be in. Not to mention the price of premium online service.

I mean, this is all great that this news is coming out, but how can they keep us waiting on the price? Being a gamer today is damn expensive. =/

You're right, they cost around $80-100. I think they will bump it down to 40GB, or at least give you a choice. Maybe a HD is required with PS3, but you can choose the size you want.

Just speculation. :whistle:

AWESOME NEWS! :D

I'm really surprised about the PS1 Emulator for the PSP. If done right, there could be a LOT of 1.50 and 2.0 users that will make the jump to 3.0. Encorporating a flash player is pretty awesome too, I hope they include an on-screen keyboard for this flash player, as well as being able to simulate the mouse.

I have to admit, I might actually get a PS3 if the price is right and the games are good.

He said no less then 50,000 yen.

Edited by jmole

Hmmmmmm, this announcement actually seems pretty good. I will definitely be purchasing all three consoles this time if it is not just more Sony hype again.

If it is then I will be mailing Kenny a big box full of freeze dried elephant boogers. :rofl:

Wow! News overload! :wacko:

The Kings of Hype are at it agian. It's so funny they can create this much excitement with every announcement they make. I must say it sounds very interesting though, I won't get my hope up but i'm keeping a close watch.

A close watch indeed :yes:

I have to say I'm impressed. PSP emulating PS1 titles sounds amazing. I'm also very impressed that the PS3 will go the route of the 360 and upscale games to high-definition.

However the price does worry me. Especially now that they are shipping with a 60gig hard drive in the box. A minimum of $430 certainly doesn't sound "horrible", but chances are it won't be the minimum. Sony will probally take a huge loss on the console, though hopefully by November Blue-Ray isn't as horribly expensive to manufacture.

On another note I'm happy they ARE shipping with a hard drive. I still believe it was a mistake of Microsoft to make it an option. While I understand their concern that more casual gamers would prefer the $100 less pricetag for a Core console, the majority of people buying a core console so far are those who just couldn't find a Premium in stock.

I might actually buy a PS3 (I've never owned a PS1 or PS2, don't get me wrong I'm not some anti-sony fellow, I just never found when Sony consoles were released that they were worth the purchase.. When PS1 came out I was waiting for the N64 which actually had texture filtering, and with PS2 the first generation of games looked worse then Dreamcast titles despite the much more powerful cpu.), though if the price is far too high I might have to wait for a pricedrop. At least if I do purchase it I'll have the chance to play some of the older titles without downscaling to 480i/p (which looks like utter **** on an LCD HDTV).

Edited by MadFerIt2006

where ever you got that price, but thats 430$ appox
It was in his speech and you are close with $430, I think it comes out to $450 actually. The Japanese conversion to USD is never the price in stores, at least it is that way for DS games. They are usually cheaper then what the yen converts to. Probably won't get a final price till E3 or maybe closer to the launch itself.
On another note I'm happy they ARE shipping with a hard drive. I still believe it was a mistake of Microsoft to make it an option. While I understand their concern that more casual gamers would prefer the $100 less pricetag for a Core console, the majority of people buying a core console so far are those who just couldn't find a Premium in stock.
From the sound of it he was sort of vauge about the harddrive shipping with it. He said developers were told that the HDD would be there so it would be sort of stupid not to include one, which means people would have to buy one later.

Bunch...of...crap... :rolleyes:

Yesterdays "Bunch of crap" is todays reality. :yes: :rofl:

I say the Xbox 360 just got owned today! :D

Over promises Sony made? (Just like "PS3 will launch in Spring 2006"). You wish. ;)

Yesterdays "Bunch of crap" is todays reality. :yes: :rofl:

Over promises Sony made? (Just like "PS3 will launch in Spring 2006"). You wish. ;)

we shall see my friend we shall see :)

All these announcements have brought one undeniable fact to light; there is nothing better than competition! :D ;)

Edited by tHa_vIlLaMaN

All these announcements have one undeniable fact to light; there is nothing better than competition!

Spot on.

Why do you Microsoft fanboys come into the Sony section to troll? It really is getting annoying. It doesn't happen in any other section.

Thats the case, isnt it? Right now they havent "owned" (in your terms) anything yet. ;)

Actually they have been "owned":

- Developers are told the harddrive is there and to work with it, unlike Xbox360 developers who were told to work without it.

- 100% backwards compatablity with PS1 and PS2 unlike the quasi-Xbox backwards compatability.

- A service that sounds exactly like Live. Worst part is if the free silver lets you play games online and premium is just for extra content, but that has yet to be seen. If playing online turns out being free then watch the sht hit the fan.

- Lowest price mentioned during the conference is close to the Xbox360 premium ($399 vs. ~$425), but you will be getting more in terms of wireless, bluetooth, keyboard/mouse functionality, Linux bundled on the harddrive, blu-ray, HDMI connectivity, ability to use 7 wireless controllers vs. 4, etc. If a person is going to spend $399+ for any console they might as well get the one with more features to get more for their money even if they have to spend more.

- 10,000,000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month with same cost around same as 2-layer DVD

- etc. etc.

Edited by jmole