PlayStation Network Revealed

Speaking about the PlayStation 3 at the special business briefing, Ken Kutaragi revealed the first details about the ?PlayStation Network Platform?.

The competitor to Xbox Live is planned to launch along the console this November and is set to include all the features currently available on Xbox Live except for an XBLA-like offer.

Sony Computer Entertainment will run the service, which has been created with the help of Sony Online Entertainment.

At the same time, Sony will allow game publishers to connect to the network, which they promise will be more open to the Internet than Xbox Live.

PlayStation Network Platform features:

* User registration

* Login ID

* Friends List

* Voice and Video Chat

* Messaging

* Lobby

* Matchmaking

* Score Ranking

* Content download

* Data upload-download

* Online Shopping

* Micro-payment

Kutaragi mentioned that there will be a basic service that will be free but didn?t specify which of the above features will be included in the basic package.

Sony also revealed the schedule for PNP development tools. By the end of this month, Sony will deliver the first PNP Development SDK, with a second update planned for April. Then, by the end of June they plan to deliver all functions on the server side. Finally in July developer will be able to test all functions and a full production environment will be available in September.

It was also revealed that our sister company GameSpy will be helping with the network development.

Source

"All functions available for online titles"

Does that mean some titles won't be PSN-compatible?

That's what I was thinking :o

I like that you can purchase items even when you're playing a game but won't it make it more difficult for the developers to support new content to their games on the fly?

And best of all, free.

you didn't read the post did you? here let me requote and bold you the key points...

PlayStation Network Platform features:

* User registration

* Login ID

* Friends List

* Voice and Video Chat

* Messaging

* Lobby

* Matchmaking

* Score Ranking

* Content download

* Data upload-download

* Online Shopping

* Micro-payment

Kutaragi mentioned that there will be a basic service that will be free but didn’t specify which of the above features will be included in the basic package.

so you may have just like xbox live silver.. messaging and updates... but no multiplayer. Basic service implies there is a Premium service.

you didn't read the post did you? here let me requote and bold you the key points...

Wishful thinking on his part :laugh:

But hopefully it's even cheaper than Xbox Live, although I don't see how it could since this is their first crack at a true online system but lets hope! (Y)

so you may have just like xbox live silver.. messaging and updates... but no multiplayer. Basic service implies there is a Premium service.

Did I specified what was free? No, right? Well then thanks for trying.

well, sounds like a cookie cutter of xbl, but then again, can you blame them? xbl is very successfull. it's better to just copy xbl than to have nothing like they originally said.

Did I specified what was free? No, right? Well then thanks for trying.

And best of all, free.

No, you left it as a general statement which refered to the entire topic at hand. That being said, the topic at hand was the entire playstation network. So, I'd say I played and won.

No, you left it as a general statement which refered to the entire topic at hand. That being said, the topic at hand was the entire playstation network. So, I'd say I played and won.

Children, children. if you're gonna fight, take it outside where everyone can watch.

Well they just stole Xbox Live's whole features and added some more. Sony does listen. I don't think Microsoft will have the upperhand as soon as the PS3 ships.

Its funny how the PS3 haters say Sony is copying XBL lol So since XBL uses the same features that means no one else can use those features? Come on lol grow up :laugh: :p

You're problem if you understood it one way, but I know what I meant and I was right.

Well they just stole Xbox Live's whole features and added some more. Sony does listen. I don't think Microsoft will have the upperhand as soon as the PS3 ships.

Actually, it doesn't look like they added anything that Xbox Live doesn't have. As a matter of fact, the absense of anything related to 'Arcade Games' in respect to XBLA would mean that they "took out" features.

Its funny how the PS3 haters say Sony is copying XBL lol So since XBL uses the same features that means no one else can use those features? Come on lol grow up :laugh: :p

BroChaos has a point. Copying something successful is a safe move.

Calm down and stop calling people PS3 haters if they dont share your opinion.

Actually, it doesn't look like they added anything that Xbox Live doesn't have. As a matter of fact, the absense of anything related to 'Arcade Games' in respect to XBLA would mean that they "took out" features.

no one cares about arcade, just go to miniclip.com theres a lot more and the games are free. ps3 even has linux so you could visit any number of sites like that on the ps3.

no one cares about arcade, just go to miniclip.com theres a lot more and the games are free. ps3 even has linux so you could visit any number of sites like that on the ps3.

i beg to differ.. multiplayer street fighter on xbla will be awesome. I love billards, geometry wars, and hexic is not all that bad...

No, but it shows Sony's complete lack of innovation since they aren't doing a single thing that Live doesn't already do.

And it shows that they were wrong when they criticized the Xbox Live platform and subscription model.

This is why nintendo is keeping quiet because Sony stole the original idea of playstation which came from nintendo.

I agree, I think the Revolution is very underrated, will have a lot more surprises for people and will be an excellent competitor this coming generation.

:rofl:

OK buddy! (Y)

No one cares about arcade huh? And the most played game on the 360 is what? Oh yeah, Geometry Wars.