PlayStation Network Revealed

No, but it shows Sony's complete lack of innovation since they aren't doing a single thing that Live doesn't already do.

And it shows that they were wrong when they criticized the Xbox Live platform and subscription model.

Yeah but the casual gamers who are the target audiance have no care for these things.

Also magik Sony announced that games will be bootable from the hard drive so Sony can make them part of the downloadable content if they wanted.

The only bad thing that can happen for Microsoft is if the whole service was free (yeah right). Then Microsoft might have to rethink their approach.

Remember when Sony said the PS2 would have such features, powered by AOL?

That's true, but at the time they didn't realize the success of XBL.

BTW, where are all the people that criticized XBL saying PC games didn't have a centralized online gateway and therefore Sony doesn't need one either?

Its funny how the PS3 haters say Sony is copying XBL lol So since XBL uses the same features that means no one else can use those features? Come on lol grow up :laugh: :p

Well, if you consider Everquest and STATION.com MMORPGs you will agree with me: Sony can make much, much better.

I'm curious to know what the pay service offers that the basic doesn't.

I'm sure it will have similar restrictions/capabilities that an Xbox Live Silver subscription has versus Gold subscription.

Just for those moaning about sony copying XBL, remember who they have working on the PS3's online capabilites - the guy who worked on live for MS., so it was kinda obvious they'd copy a few things.

wasn't aware of that. what happened with sony? why the big change of mind? didn't they make a big stink about not wanting an organized online service? i remember some CAD comic or something about it.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing...

Just curious, have you ever even played Geometry Wars? And not the bootleg version that is out for the PC either.

I ask because it is without a doubt a GREAT thing it is the most played game for the 360. It means there are still real gamers out there that care about gameplay more than anything else. I have been gaming for a very long time, and I cannot recall a game in history that was any more addictive than Geometry Wars is honestly. It is more or less flawless. Such a simple, simple concept, yet so damn hard and challenging, but still incredibly fun to play.

In regards to the announcment, Definitely good, albeit it expected, news.

I am thinking since they are including a micro payment option, which I am sure will intially be used for purchasing additional content for games that are going to come out and things along these lines, but I just think that they will eventually wind up following the Arcade type of set up that MS currently offers. Even if they only go back to the first playstation game library and no further, there are a ton of classic titles they could offer.

Damn, I am going to need a new entertainment center someday soon. :laugh:

Just curious, have you ever even played Geometry Wars? And not the bootleg version that is out for the PC either.

I ask because it is without a doubt a GREAT thing it is the most played game for the 360. It means there are still real gamers out there that care about gameplay more than anything else. I have been gaming for a very long time, and I cannot recall a game in history that was any more addictive than Geometry Wars is honestly. It is more or less flawless. Such a simple, simple concept, yet so damn hard and challenging, but still incredibly fun to play.

Xbox 360 isn't out here yet, but I played the PC version and it's a really fun game (although I can see how it would play a lot better on the 360 controller). What I was saying was that when a cheap arcade game is the most played game on the system, that's not such a good thing for the full priced $50-$60 games.

^

I play the expensive games and sometimes I play arcade but non-gamers like arcade more, it's a good way to get someone to start playing as many people don't want to learn how to play more complex games.

BTW Where is "here" ?

Xbox 360 isn't out here yet, but I played the PC version and it's a really fun game (although I can see how it would play a lot better on the 360 controller). What I was saying was that when a cheap arcade game is the most played game on the system, that's not such a good thing for the full priced $50-$60 games.

I see. That indeed makes sense from that perspective. Good point actually, very good point.

However, as I am sure you know it is still very early in the life of the console to even expect anything really well done and that can be labeled as true "next gen" (whatever the hell that even means). We all know MS's main goal was to beat everyone to the punch. The launch titles clearly showed everyone this. So no doubt, what they are asking price wise for the initial batch of games is right now hurting them. But they were prepared for this I cannot help but think. Again, their one and only goal was to be first to market. They achieved it, and built a pretty damn good frenzy while doing so.

The great news is I think personally that Ghost Recon is the start of what we should fully expect games should be. It really is a brilliant game on both fronts, SP & MP. If that is an indication of what we have to look forward to, I think although they were off to a rocky start, everything will wind up being okay for sure. Then again with people like EA just pumping out sequel after sequel and franchise after franchise, it may also be a slow moving process.

Only time will tell, but the biggest success about Ghost Recon to me aside from being a very damn good game, is the promise that it now introduces into the mix and the bar that it has set for all future titles. Again, only time will tell.

True, but Microsoft gets more money from the retail games, so they'd want them to sell more (to make up for selling the 360 at a loss).

Australia.

How do you know MS makes more money off the retail games? Geometry wars was done for Project Gotham racing, so there was no need to code a whole new game, yet people are paying to purchase Geometry Wars online. No burning CDs costs, no packaging costs and minimal advertising (banners on the Dashboard).

I dunno, that's like saying a company like Maserati is making more money than Honda because it's cars are more expensive.

True, but Microsoft gets more money from the retail games, so they'd want them to sell more (to make up for selling the 360 at a loss).

That's actually not entirely true. For Arcade games there is virtually no overhead costs, besides Bandwidth which is also part of XBL as a whole so that isn't even a major factor. Therefore, selling XBLA games is almost all pure profit.

How do you know MS makes more money off the retail games? Geometry wars was done for Project Gotham racing, so there was no need to code a whole new game, yet people are paying to purchase Geometry Wars online. No burning CDs costs, no packaging costs and minimal advertising (banners on the Dashboard).

I dunno, that's like saying a company like Maserati is making more money than Honda because it's cars are more expensive.

That's actually not entirely true. For Arcade games there is virtually no overhead costs, besides Bandwidth which is also part of XBL as a whole so that isn't even a major factor. Therefore, selling XBLA games is almost all pure profit.

I sincerely hope that Microsoft gets more than $5 from their royalties for each game. :laugh:

Just to clear things up, Geometry Wars isn't even in the top 10 anymore. It's a great game, though, and I think a something similar to Arcade on the PS3 would be a big plus for the console. I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun the Live Arcade games were when I got my 360.