About cross and straight cable..help me confirm

Hi,

I have two comps. One is dell the other one is an unknown brand :/ The dell one uses a crossover cable and when i tried the crossover cable to my unknown one, it doesn't work. Note that the unknown one is new, has tested that everything (network adapters) are working fine except the internet. My dad tested it out wif the vendor, the internet is working fine.

Is it because it needs a straight one instead of a cross? Issit true that there's a 50-50 chance in using cross?

How is it connected is like this-->modem--cable---cpu. Also, is it true that some computer need a certain hardware to get the cross to work? i'm using a desktop comp lolx. sry, i'm a comp idiot..do assist me in this matter^^

My dell one can use the cross cable..internet working fine..mine unknown one can't. There's absolutely 100% nothing wrong with the unknown brand computer. except internet not working/

ADDITIONAL: hey i wanted to post a reply it doesnt load :( err bsq, I dun have the light at the end, the connector head is something wrong? would it be more safer if i buy the straight one? since most comps works fine on the straight one?

err ya, i only want to connect to one comp for the internet and that is the unknown brand one ;0

Edited by Milkcarton*

if it works with the cross cable on the dell, it should also work with that same cable on the new one.

networkcards can use both cross and straight cables.

50-50 chance? not that I know of.

And no special hardware needed to get the cross work.

when you plug in the cable, do you nsee the lights turning on?

if you do, you have a physical connection.

if not, then there is something messed up, cable? connector on the cable?

I believe you would be more apt to buy a router instead of networking the computers this way. If that is what you are trying to do.

I think he's just trying to connect the new one to the internet, and disconnect the old one.

no shared connection, so no need for a router.

hey i wanted to post a reply it doesnt load err bsq, I dun have the light at the end, the connector head is something wrong? would it be more safer if i buy the straight one? since most comps works fine on the straight one?

err ya, i only want to connect to one comp for the internet and that is the unknown brand one ;0

hey i wanted to post a reply it doesnt load err bsq, I dun have the light at the end, the connector head is something wrong? would it be more safer if i buy the straight one? since most comps works fine on the straight one?

no light = no connection.

May sound weird, but have you thought of pushing it in a little bit harder? move the connector while it's in the card. I have a cable here that has a bad connector and sometimes acts weird. Doing one of those things solves it most of the time. Just make sure your don't break anything.

Buying a straight one? If you do that, chances are it will never work.

There is a difference in wiring between straight and cross cables. And every cable has a situation in which you can use it. Unless you modem is auto-sensing (which means it automatically detects if there's a cross cable or a straight cable) switching the cable type won't work.

Ow yeah, quick question try connecting the dell directly to the new computer and check those lights.

Is they light up, unplug the dell and connect the modem?

Don't know what could be wrong with a cable... :s