In Detail: Sony's PlayStation 3 online network

Magik: Just because Sony is offering something MS isn't doesn't mean it's too good to be true. Maybe this will push MS to make their online games free too.

I agree, yes, I've always said that competition is the best thing for everybody. I hope it does come out to be free and that is better than Xbox Live because that will push MS to be more aggressive and in turn better for 360 owners and PS3 owners alike and gamers as a whole.

The following is my interpretation and until Sony releases (read: actually shows) something definitive, nobody can really know: But you have to keep in mind, since nothing really definite has been released and judging by what Sony said at the beginning ("no unified service") and that people are just drawing conclusions from the slides leaked earlier you have to keep in mind that "Free multiplayer" may not be all in all true and that it is open to interpretation. Judging from the slides and what various bloggers have been saying about the Playstation Network the truth behind the service could be that it is as close to a unified system as you can get without it being an actual full-fledged unified system like XBL. The Single User ID/Registration is their answer for a unified system. Unlike Playstation Online for PS2 game devs will revert to that single unique User ID that the gamer has created on the PSN in order to have them log in to the gaming servers. Those gaming servers, however, are hosted by the dev companies which will definitely justify charging prices/subscriptions to utilize their online/multiplayer services. What I'm getting at is, so far, the Playstation Network just sounds like a hashed attempt at a unified online system and is just a glorified Playstation Online. You may even go as far as instead of calling it the Playstation Network, call it Playstation Online 2.0 or something like that. To me, it sounds like they are packaging this unique user id and other 'unified' settings into an SDK of some sort for the devs in order to handle single user id's and text/voice/video messaging.

For the average gamer, this doesn't really matter, they don't care how it works, but just that it works. However, I do fear that the average gamer/consumer will be confused with the different rates/fees that certain games charge. IMHO, I'd rather have a one-time (per month or per year) fee on my CC bill than having several different ones for the different games that I play and not have to worry about opening a new sub for new games that come out.

Anyway, ultimately, I hope that interpretation isn't true and that it really is as close to or better than XBL as possible because that will just raise the standard and make things better for everyone! :D

What do you guys think?