[Definitive] Final Fantasy XII

POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - You have been warned

I know we have several random threads about this game, which is undoubtedly going to be on some peoples wish lists, I figured it was probably best to have a single definitive thread on the game for people to find the latest information, compare notes and link to videos / reviews.

Final Fantasy 12 is set in the world of Ivalice, for years the two kingdoms of Arcadia and Rosaria have been fighting against each other in a bitter struggle. Located in a strategically important corridor between the two powers is the small kingdom of Dalmaska.

Arcadia's invasion of the kingdom prompts its princess Ashe to join forces with the resistance. Vaan is an optimistic and bright young man yielding from the ancient kingdom of Dalmaska, which has fallen under the control of the Arcardian Empire. Due to the unsatisfactory conditions there, he has cut his ties with relatives there, seeking his very own personal freedom.

As an adventurer, he dreams of being able to command an airship someday. Ashe is the sole daughter of the king of Dalmaska and hence the next inline to the throne. Following the invasion of her country, she becomes the leader of the resistance against the Empire. During a wild pursuit, she loses one companion after the other. Despite her desperate situation, she still hasn't lost the pride of a princess. In this situation she meets Vaan, and before long loses her heart to him. Thus their joint adventure begins.

Current release schedule - 17/03/2006

Japan 16 March 2006

America August - November (tentative - unconfirmed)

Europe Unconfirmed

Current FFXII threads on Neowin

FFXII: Title Screen Movie & Theme Song

Final Fantasy XII scores perfect 40/40 in Famitsu

Current links to FFXII information

Gamespot opening sequence

Hands On impression

1UP Videos

Popular FFXII Websites

Official Site

Final Fantasy XII .net

Any other gems, questions or comments, please post here as not to create duplicate threads.

Thanks.

The Japanese version is actually very playable, even though it is completely in Japanese ! Voice acting is good, although again you wont be able to understand the finer points unless you speak the language.

So far I have played around the first 45 minutes or so, relatively easy to progress, and the character acting (along with the relatively easy to follow and detailed map) has meant that so far I have completed the prologue, saved the game, shopped for items and armor / weapons and navigated spells and items for cures, as well as picked up my first quest - it's helpful to have a pad and pen next to you so you can jot down what each option does. Im sure there will be a FAQ out soon to help non-Japanese players get to grips with the game.

I usually deal with Liksang for imports, as they are speedy and offer free delivery for games to anywhere in the world.

Graphically the game is the best yet in the series. It has the feel and design of Final Fantasy X, but with the MMO mechanics of FFXI - battles, while still pseudo turn based, are live on the map you run around on, and not instanced battles on a seperate screen.

Sound is good, I love the musical score so far - very ambient and sets the scene well.

Gameplay is solid, its hard to understand the finer points of the commands, and the upgrade system (ala FFX) seems even more complex now than it did then.

Overall this is a great game in Japanese, this will rock your world when we get our mitts on the American / EU version.

Ill update as I get further into it, but first impressions are very impressive - just the quality of the FMV itself, and the onscreen ingame characters, environments and NPCs, just too much to express in a post.

Even if August is the earliest we get an English version, thats still five months away, Id definately recommend that anyone truly interested in the game pick up a copy asap.

I heard it doesn't have 16:9 widescreen which worries me. Why they would include it with Dragon Quest VIII and not this, I don't know. I just hope with all this time they have until November they somehow can manage to make it happen. Both Final Fantasy XII and Zelda: TP are probably heading for a collision course at the same time, so it's going to intresting. I am trying to do a media blackout on the story until then so hopefully it works.