PS3 will have hard drive as standard

this will only bring the price of ps3 up. we don't need 60gb. lame.

i have a very logical reason to believe that the ps3 will cost $1,000. think about it, it has a 60hd and a bluray drive. bluray player are going to sell at about $2,000.

Wouldn't the PS3 cost at least a grand since it has Blu-ray drive?

dL

No.

Blu-Ray drive just like CELL & RSX is fabbed by Sony. Its (mainly) their standard and they are manufacturing it themselves.

The Blu-Ray players are costly because they:

• Have licensing fees to pay
  • And will not enjoy the subsidy luxury PS3 potentially has

That is, if you ignore keyboards, mice, Sidewinder game controllers, networking equipment, etc :p

True, but then do they sell out at launch? :D

And Sheppard, yes there may be technical problems, but then the Xbox 360 has had technical problems as well. All brand new stuff is like that. I meant it terms of manufacturing large numbers of units.

Looking forward to this, I agree there probably isn't all that much need for a hardrive quite that big but I doubt it's gonna add that much to the price. I expect some will fill it and others will hardly use it. And I have lost faith in Sony so I definatly won't be getting any of the first batch. Saves me money aswell.

True, but then do they sell out at launch? :D

And Sheppard, yes there may be technical problems, but then the Xbox 360 has had technical problems as well. All brand new stuff is like that. I meant it terms of manufacturing large numbers of units.

If it was limited to just launch consoles then id agree with you, ive had ps1 and ps2 since they first were launched, and over the decade that ive had them both they have both broken down too many times than i care too mention and had to be sent back to sony to get replacements.

Sony has a bad track record with producing shoddy electronics.

Many consumers also were not happy that the PlayStation's laser track, which allowed the laser to move back and forth as it looked for data on the CD, would burn out easily if used extensively over time. This caused many people to start experiencing longer loading times, and other loading problems. Users remedied this by flipping the console up vertically, making the laser access data from the opposite track. Although this proved a temporary solution, the opposite track too would burn out, which usually meant it had to be replaced. Many consumers were forced to buy multiple PlayStations to replace broken ones due to this problem. In the PlayStation 2 this particular problem seems to be solved, but fragile laser mechanisms still remain the main source of problems for Sony consoles.

If it was limited to just launch consoles then id agree with you, ive had ps1 and ps2 since they first were launched, and over the decade that ive had them both they have both broken down too many times than i care too mention and had to be sent back to sony to get replacements.

Sony has a bad track record with producing shoddy electronics.

I too have had a PS1 and PS2 from launch, but I have not had the same issues...

this will only bring the price of ps3 up. we don't need 60gb. lame.

i have a very logical reason to believe that the ps3 will cost $1,000. think about it, it has a 60hd and a bluray drive. bluray player are going to sell at about $2,000.

They've already said they want it around the 360's price, so why the heck would they sell it for a thousand?

Are the games and/or the console going to have region-encoding?

I ask because by summer next year, I'll be in Japan for a year or two teaching english. I don't want to invest in a console and games if I can't bring the games over or bring both back (depending on when I buy).

I think its smart to have an HDD, as long as its easy to backup! Would be nice to backup all save game info to a DVD. The memory carts you can't backup easily!

Are the games and/or the console going to have region-encoding?

I ask because by summer next year, I'll be in Japan for a year or two teaching english. I don't want to invest in a console and games if I can't bring the games over or bring both back (depending on when I buy).

I think its smart to have an HDD, as long as its easy to backup! Would be nice to backup all save game info to a DVD. The memory carts you can't backup easily!

That's a good question, but unfortunately we don't know yet.

Hopefully they'll follow the PSP route.

(Note: Blu-ray Movies will definitely be region coded)

I too have had a PS1 and PS2 from launch, but I have not had the same issues...

Just because you havent had any problems doesnt mean everyone else hasnt, its been well documented and even in the Playstation wiki, i even remember people trying to sue Sony because of it.

<<SNIPPED>> read what you only want to read, everything else gets filtered out and is just wrong.

Edited by AgEnTsMiTh

Just because you havent had any problems doesnt mean everyone else hasnt, its been well documented and even in the Playstation wiki, i even remember people trying to sue Sony because of it.

Typical fanboy, read what you only want to read, everything else gets filtered out and is just wrong.

Actually, laser problems on the UK playstations are pretty rare I think (mainly due to the fact that Europe got their playstations so late compared to Japan and America, none of my friends have ever had a problem with any of their playstations or PS2s. It's actually you that is sounding like a fanboy.

Every console has problems at the beggining, the Xbox360 wasn't without technical problems, and I don't even know if those have been resolved.

Typical fanboy, read what you only want to read, everything else gets filtered out and is just wrong.

Just because you have problems, doesn't mean everyone else does as well.

Actually, laser problems on the UK playstations are pretty rare I think (mainly due to the fact that Europe got their playstations so late compared to Japan and America, none of my friends have ever had a problem with any of their playstations or PS2s. It's actually you that is sounding like a fanboy.

Every console has problems at the beggining, the Xbox360 wasn't without technical problems, and I don't even know if those have been resolved.

:yes: :whistle:

No.

Blu-Ray drive just like CELL & RSX is fabbed by Sony. Its (mainly) their standard and they are manufacturing it themselves.

The Blu-Ray players are costly because they:

• Have licensing fees to pay
  • And will not enjoy the subsidy luxury PS3 potentially has

At this point, very little of the cost actually has to do with licensing. The actual cost of the materials and assembly is going to be extremely high. If Sony undercuts the other Blu-Ray manufacturers with the PS3, they're going to **** off their partners and end up hurting Blu-Ray a great deal.

At this point, very little of the cost actually has to do with licensing. The actual cost of the materials and assembly is going to be extremely high. If Sony undercuts the other Blu-Ray manufacturers with the PS3, they're going to **** off their partners and end up hurting Blu-Ray a great deal.

Good Point.

I too think this is gonna be a great problem. While the partners are selling for $1000+ and Sony is selling for $500. They will be screwed. The only solution I think is having the parteners launch ahead giving consumers no choice. But I don't see Blue Ray taking off without the PS3.

So I don't know how they gonna handle this one.

Im a fanboy because i dont like people talking like the sun shines out Sonys ass?, i dont favour one console over another, ive had pretty much every console thats ever been out, i even have a PSP, a Gamecube and im still waiting on getting a 360 till there are some really killer apps, so if youre gonna call someone a fanboy at least get your facts right.

Just because you have problems, doesn't mean everyone else does as well.

:yes: :whistle:

Ive had plenty of consoles and so have my friends and family back in the day, and it has been well documented the laser troubles and consoles breaking down, even wiki has a large section on it. I personally have had to have about 5 PS2s repaired due to the same fault, Sony knew this which is why they didnt take consoles, repair them then send them back, they just sent couriers out with previously faulty laser PS2s which had been refurbed and you just traded them at the door, so i know what im talking about.

Ive said it once ill say it again, you read exactly only what you want to read, anything else is just lies and fabrication. Just proves it by what you have in your sig.

Did you know that since the "Xbox 360" was released "Gamecube" has sold more units that it. This line proves what a catastrophy this console was.

My brother is on his seventh PS2. 4 old models and 3 slim models. The last one stopped working this week after 2 weeks without using it. He has it on the extended warranty at BestBuy so all he has to do is take it to the store and he gets a new one right away, but it does make me wonder if this is one of the reasons Sony has shipped 100 million consoles. His PSP is working great though.

Back on topic: I find it strange that their slide says "HDD is required" instead of "HDD is standard". Almost looks like they will sell the HDD separately or maybe something was lost in the translation.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/sce1_07.jpg

Did you know that since the "Xbox 360" was released "Gamecube" has sold more units that it. This line proves what a catastrophy this console was.

Wow yeah lets compare old with new generation, Gamecube came out in 2001, 360 less than 5 months ago, its had 5 years to be in a position of selling more than the 360, plus theres a big shortage of xbox 360 consoles still, not to mention the Gamecube is ?140 less than the xbox 360.

I suggest you think a little bit harder before you start comparing apples with oranges. I can see the PS3 selling just as bad come this christmas, theres no way they will be able to fulfill everyones need for them, so the figures will look as if its selling rubbish but without the explanation why.

Yeah, catastrophei> that has sold every unit shipped and shows no sign of stopping. A catastrophe that set new records both game and accessory attach rates. A catastrophe that has more than half of its customers using its online service. With millions of online game sales via Live Arcade in just its first three months.

A catastrophe that will likely sell well over 10 million units worldwide before Sony sells a single one. One that will readily be available in mass quantities when the PS3 is impossible to find.

No, if there's a catastrophe here, it's called the Playstation 3.

A catastrophe that set new records both game and accessory attach rates. A catastrophe that has more than half of its customers using its online service.

Source please.

You'd think people'd be content just to wait and see, instead of producing tons and tons of speculation, then re-hashing every few weeks as we get more "news".

The Vista & PS3 hype at the moment is impeccable, but still, with virtually 6+ months to go before either of these products come to market, there's little use in speculatin' our assess off only to get dissapointed.

Source please.

There has been a lot of covereage of both facts, but here's a random one:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11488

In his presentation Moore also boasted about the Xbox 360's "stunning attach rate of four games per console, and an accessory level and attach rate of three per console, both of which are nearly double the previous record." He then emphasized the success of Xbox Live on 360. While on Xbox only 10 percent of users had signed up for the service, about 50 percent of 360 owners thus far are using Xbox Live. In addition, within four weeks of the console's launch more than 4 million Xbox Live marketplace downloads have taken place worldwide.

There has been a lot of covereage of both facts, but here's a random one:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11488

Well, MS will have a fight on its hand for regaining marketshare, according to these links, Sony is leading 7 to 1.

http://www.ferrago.com/story/2472

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39119121,00.htm

I realize these are a few years old, but MS has a long ways to go to even come close to Sony. Let the best man win. I believe Sony is doing the right thing and not rushing the PS3 out the door, unlike, what I believe, MS did last fall. I believe MS should have waited 6-12 months before releasing the 360 to allow game developers more time for games. Don't get me started on the naming scheme. It should be the XBOX2, not the 360. :D