Windows could not load installer for Battery

Hey Guys,

I recently wiped the Windows XP Home installation that came with the laptop. Then I formatted the hard disk and installed Windows XP Pro with SP2. Since then I am missing the Battery Icon in the Taskbar. Windows XP Pro could not find battery drivers for the laptop.

batterycannotload7ad.png

In Device Manager it comes up as Unknown Battery.

batteryunknown3wq.png

I have gone through the DELL Driver CDs but couldn't find any specific drivers for batteries.

Has anybody had the same problem before? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

McoreD

Hey Guys,

I recently wiped the Windows XP Home installation that came with the laptop. Then I formatted the hard disk and installed Windows XP Pro with SP2. Since then I am missing the Battery Icon in the Taskbar. Windows XP Pro could not find battery drivers for the laptop.

In Device Manager it comes up as Unknown Battery.

I have gone through the DELL Driver CDs but couldn't find any specific drivers for batteries.

Has anybody had the same problem before? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

McoreD

batteries use a generic driver present on all windows cds you shouldnt need anything special from dell and i can tell you that the drivers are present on even server 2003 discs. I wonder why your laptop is doing this because a fresh install of windows shouldnt have this problem.

I am wondering that too divertom15. This is a very unfortunate, strange and an irritating problem. If used without AC power, the laptop TURNS OFF (not Shut Down) without warning because there is no Battery meter for Windows to monitor. So Windows and I both don't know when the battery is going to run out.

Was there any chipset/mother board drivers? I'd guess that would fix it.

Also, what is your particular make and model? Go to the Dell website and look for new, updated, drivers and install them all (not software, just drivers).

That should be a good start StarSabers. I have downloaded the most recent Chipset driver and BIOS update from http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...&os=WW1&osl=EN# for the DELL Inspiron 9100. It let me install the Chipset driver but didn't let me update BIOS because it thought the Battery is not installed. At the moment I am installing DELL's XP Home Edition on another partition hoping that Windows XP Power Meter will detect the battery on that installation. I will then try updating the BIOS from there.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm haveing the exact same problem with my sony vaio. But I can't find the Hotfixes you talked about. Please tell me where I can get it.

• 1 month later...

i have the same dell 9100 laptop as you do and the same irritating problem.. i don't have any charge left in my battery and when ever i connect my power adapter, it says unkown adapter. and it doesn't charge the battery . i am using my laptop as a desktop.. and i've tried foramtting and reinstalling windows xp sp2 which came with the laptop, but it didn't work.can anyone help me out...

thanks

raj

• 1 year later...

I had this problem today so I thought I might as well post the solution....

The error is due to the batt.dll file. It is missing in the windows/system32 folder...download the file from www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/B/batt.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

...put it in the system32 folder .....that should take care of the problem! :yes: