About to spend $3500 on a new TV...

Ok, so on the 31st I'll be coming into some money... profit sharing, bonus, merit increase and tax return.. so after getting todays circulars I was looking at the 50" Sony Grand Wega SXRD with true HD 1080p. Basically since I know very little about the whole HDTV thing.. I want to make sure for the amount of money I am about to spend that this is the correct choice... I've seen a few others with comparable prices:

So.. I ask the members to help me out a bit in spending my money.. TIA

50" Phillips

61" Samsung 1080p

40" Bravia(same price as the 50" Grand Wega... I have no idea why though)

50" Grand Wega

The Bravia is the same price as that SXRD Grand Wega because the Bravia is their top of the line LCD set and LCD's are always more than projection sets. The Grand Wega is a great set and definitely worth a look. While it does do 1080p, like most sets that came out around the same time, it does not accept 1080p over the HDMI port, only over the firewire. Regardless, it's a gorgeous set and probably one of my most favorite to sell. Make sure, however, you take into account the fact that the bulb will only last ~6,000 hours before needing replacement. Whereever you shop, ask the store about extended coverage on the set and specifically ask if it covers the bulb. If it doesn't, you may want to look elsewhere.

Cool... so.. overall.. do you think there is a better buy out there for me that is a better quality than the Sony?... also.. should I consider the Bravia over the Grand Wega??

Cool... so.. overall.. do you think there is a better buy out there for me that is a better quality than the Sony?... also.. should I consider the Bravia over the Grand Wega??

It depends what you want the set for. The Bravia is an amazingly gorgeous LCD and has the advantage of not having a bulb to burn out every year and a half. On the other hand, the Grand Wega has a higher resolution and a much more vibrant picture. Not to mention, it's also 10 inches bigger.

Going to be used as the primary TV in our living room... will be hooked up to a xbox 360, digital cable receiver and eventually a next generation dvd player... would also like to hook my PC up to it.. earlier you said that 1080p is only availble through firewire... will the next gen dvd player make use of that or will it be dvi or hdmi only... i think my digital box only has dvi out...

Going to be used as the primary TV in our living room... will be hooked up to a xbox 360, digital cable receiver and eventually a next generation dvd player... would also like to hook my PC up to it.. earlier you said that 1080p is only availble through firewire... will the next gen dvd player make use of that or will it be dvi or hdmi only... i think my digital box only has dvi out...

You can still get the 720p from your cable box using a DVI -> HDMI converter along with some audio cables. As for the firewire question, it's been rumored some next gen players would include firewire for all the sets that don't support 1080p over HDMI, but I'm not sure anything is certain.

alright.. cool.. not sure how much you helped me... i was really about to just go out and pick up the Grand Wega.. but the whole not getting 1080p with the HDMI makes me nervous for next generation dvd players... or cable boxes if they ever start brodcasting 1080p.... thanks for all the info(i really only posted hoping you were going to respond.. I was on the phone with Dirty Larry awaiting your response... sure enough.. you did.. so thanks for not letting me down..lol).. i guess picking out a tv isnt as easy as i thought it was going to be... one last question... if you had $3500 given to you right now.. what TV would you pick..(prob should have been my first question)....

Edited by jerzdawg

What TV? I'd probably get the Grand Wega. It still upscales everything to 1080p and is great for support of 1080i. Nothing will broadcast in 1080p for a long while and you're not exactly going to die not having 1080p from next gen discs lol.

Ok... well I have until the 25th to decide, I'll try and do as much research as I can... I just dont want to go out and get this TV and a week later they announce something that ****es all over this TV...

I have the '50 SXRD, and I ABSOLUTELY love the set. The picture is the best i've ever seen. I play my 360 on it, and, my buddies girlfriend came over and didn't realize we were playing a game. She thought we ordered a pay per view.

The black level is outstanding. But, the TV REALLY stands out on bright colors.

I just love it.

Cons:

Well, the remote died on me. But, I dont really use it, and it still works for everything except universal remote functions. I think I can get a replacement.

You need a viewing minimum of 6ft from the TV, but, I'd say that 8ft to 10ft is better. The further you get away, the better it looks.

It is rear-projection. Not as skinny as plasma. (not sure if this is an issue or not)

Thanks... I actually just went and took a look at it yesterday.... was not thrilled with the non-hdtv picture that they had going in the show room... it was actually on sale for $2999... it was in the flyer for $3499..so now i am this much closer to picking it up... only prob now is the space i have for it right now is 51"... this tv with its speakers has a 57" width...

The problem with a lot of places like, bestbuy and circuitcity is that the images they show on the TV aren't truly HD. I've never understood this from a marketing point of view. I do understand that it is probably next to impossible to get each set its own HD connection, but, I am sure they can come up with something.

I do think some of the bestbuys in my area are redesigning their hometheater rooms, and now have places dedicated to HD content on these beautiful TV's.

Also, when you go to bestbuy, know your stuff. I have spoken with employees at bestbuy who really wow'ed me with their knowledge, and, I have spoken with others that didn't know the difference between VGA and DVI. So, if you really know your stuff, you can find the guy there that really knows his stuff.

Other than that, I am happy to answer any questions you have. (that I can answer). ($2999 is a really good price BTW)

Thanks... its funny reading my thread that only had you and bangbang respond and get so much info... yet on other threads you get a million people responding and get half the info you were looking for in the first place.. so.. thank you both... since you are an owner of this tv are you happy with the way non-hd looks.... my brother-in-law has a 60" samsung DLP that looks TERRIBLE when not in hd... like it hurts my eyes..lol... other than that im not sure what to ask... i just want to make the right purchase....

Hmm, non-HD. Well, Sony has a scalling chip on the TV, although it may not be as good as Faroudja DCDi chip. Some TVs seem to have to scalling, or deinterlacing at all.

Non-HD, will look a little rough, as you are seeing all of the artifacts and general lack of quality in a normal TV signal. But, the chip does an OK job, and, I find that non-HD isn't as bad as it is on some TVs , even old Grand Wega's.

The chip in the SXRD does a good job. Maybe not as nice as projectors i've seen with the Faroudja DCDi, but, those were $5000+ projectors.

Also, non-HD will not fill the screen. You can, however, make it fill the screen with the "zoom" feature. I basically ignore this feature, because when you zoom, you basically make non-HD look even worse.

thanks for the praise. Bangbang is very smart when it comes to TV's (i think he is in the biz), and I just happened to have the same TV! You'll find that this sub-forum is generally helpful. There isn't really any fanboyism going on here, and other nonsense. just people who want the best bang for their buck!

On thegadgetshow (a tv show in the UK) they sat with 3 top lcd's, a sony, and 2 other's, and played th same footage on them and the Sony came last.

I've seen a wide range and the actual end result the far more expensive Sony's have always looked poor.

I don't know about the features or technology, just what i think displays the images better, but i'd go with the Samsung.

I can't vouch for the sony LCD, but the SXRD is LCoS, not LCD.

Here is a good review that tells all about the 50in SXRD

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.a...&article_id=898

yup.. thats the review I read... i saw they LCD they have as well... its 42" and is also priced at $2999... i did consider that one until i heard all the positives about the SXRD(LCoS)... i think i am going to be picking this tv up shortly... shame it wont fit in my current IKEA setup..lol

I believe so.... I went to PC Richards yesterday and the guy offered it to me for $2750 if I buy the $500 extended warranty/18 months no interest... circuit city has it for $2999 with no interest until Jan. 2009... so for a small $120 a month payment.. i can get it from there... plus im sure their warranty is about $400... so now i just want to compare the warranties between the 2 places... im pretty sure both offer the bulb replacement..

Ok.. last update - I ordered the TV... its being delivered on April 1st, I could have had it tomorrow but we are getting are celing painted and I didn't want to take any chances...I got the protection plan which covers the bulb for 5 years... the salesman actually recommened me request at least 2 replacement bulbs before the 5 years is up... I will have pics and a review soon.. cant wait to actually see my 360 in HD... thanks to all who helped convince me

oh man, the 360 is sooooooooo nice on this TV. :)

One other "Con" I thought of (lol, now that you've already ordered it) is that I dont use the speakers at all.

That really isn't a Con, per se, but, the speakers are quite prominent, and I'm not even using them :)

I think you'll be very happy with this TV. The NCAA tourny has looked better then it ever has. I am 100% satisfied.

Now, if you come across any tips or tweaks let me know! We're SXRD brothers now! haha