• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

bangbang: any word on when the new Aquos line

AndyD    22

Just checking to see if you've heard anything. Been holding off on buying a lcd

bangbang023    31

Someone was actually asking me this yesterday and I'm really not sure. We've gotten in A LOT of new flat panels, but nothing from Sharp or Samsung yet. Best Buy usually continues ot get new stuff straight through til May (with the exception of Sony, who usually ships in July/August). Once I see them appear, I'll try to rememebr to come back here and let you know.

AndyD    22

thanks dude :)

AndyD    22

Looks like Circuit City now has all the new models...still doesn't look like Best Buy has it :( Wanted to use that Reward Zone thing but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait just to get a $80 coupon

bangbang023    31

Looks like Circuit City now has all the new models...still doesn't look like Best Buy has it :( Wanted to use that Reward Zone thing but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait just to get a $80 coupon

We're also supposed to have the new Samsung's out, yet we don't. On April 2nd, displays are set to be changed, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few new LCD's popup then. I know the Samsungs are set to make their debut that day.

bangbang023    31

Hey bangbang, what do you think of the new samsungs? I'm thinking of getting one instead of the XBR.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-40-...roductDetail.do

They have'em at circuit city but I haven't seen them at best buy. They look nice :)

I was talking to a Samsung rep yesterday about them. On paper they are nice, but I'm still waiting to see them in person before casting final judgement. There is a model a step up from the one you link to (405, 409 maybe? I can't remember) which has 4000:1 contrast ratio and is meant to compete with Sony's XBR's.

sin-ergy    2

Yes I know which one you mean. I have to compare the two side by side before I decide. I think the higher end one is only a few hundred dollars more BUT I don't like the plastic-type look to'em.

bangbang023    31

Yes I know which one you mean. I have to compare the two side by side before I decide. I think the higher end one is only a few hundred dollars more BUT I don't like the plastic-type look to'em.

Lol, the Samsung rep chose to interview to see what salespeople think of Samsung LCD TV's. I told him "the picture is great, but they're pretty ugly on the outside". He took notes word for word haha

sin-ergy    2

Funny. So I see that Samsung is releasing new models in May and June as well. Guess I'll wait until June to see...

bangbang023    31

Funny.

woo the cold shoulder

sin-ergy    2

What...no I was serious. o_O

bangbang023    31

What...no I was serious. o_O

it reminded me of the seinfeld episode where that chick always says "funny" instead of laughing lol my bad.

AndyD    22

Best Buy really taking their time getting these screens in stores :)

Question, you think your stores would allow someone connect their own x360 to check out the hd quality? I could even use it to check how dvds would look. My experience so far is that these tvs are not set up with the best signals and just look like utter crap when that may not be the case. Would love to bring in my system to see what it looks like on the tvs I'm considering

bangbang023    31

Best Buy really taking their time getting these screens in stores :)

Question, you think your stores would allow someone connect their own x360 to check out the hd quality? I could even use it to check how dvds would look. My experience so far is that these tvs are not set up with the best signals and just look like utter crap when that may not be the case. Would love to bring in my system to see what it looks like on the tvs I'm considering

They most likely won't let you do it. It's a big hassle and we do need to try to be efficient on getting from one customer to the next.

AndyD    22

I heard the tvs will be in around April 21. Doesn't matter anymore though as the lcd doesn't look good as I would have hoped.

Now just going to hold off till the 1080p XBRs are released this summer

bangbang023    31

They are in. Thank god you posted because I forgot. I got into work this morning and they were out. My store, in all it's genius, have most of the new LCD's running off an SD coaxial feed. I'm so frustrated with the management at this point.

The sets look ok on the exterior. The design of the bottom mounted speakers looks a bit cheap. I can't comment on the HD quality. I tried hooking up the 32" and 26" to HD and the feeds on the endcap were missing their reds meaning we blew out another $1500 video box.

crackhbob    0

How do they get "blown out" :blink:

bangbang023    31

How do they get "blown out" :blink:

No clue. We go through them pretty quickly. Usually you'll lose only one connection, in this case the Pr. A few times, the entire signal was killed.

crackhbob    0

Have you tried different brands/models of the boxes? Or is it just part of the life there, lol :p

bangbang023    31

Have you tried different brands/models of the boxes? Or is it just part of the life there, lol :p

Just part of life at my store lol. I don't know why Best Buy only uses these signal boxes, but so be it. Drives me nuts trying to sell a TV when half are on HD and the other are on SD, coaxial nonetheless.

AndyD    22

They are in. Thank god you posted because I forgot. I got into work this morning and they were out. My store, in all it's genius, have most of the new LCD's running off an SD coaxial feed. I'm so frustrated with the management at this point.

The sets look ok on the exterior. The design of the bottom mounted speakers looks a bit cheap. I can't comment on the HD quality. I tried hooking up the 32" and 26" to HD and the feeds on the endcap were missing their reds meaning we blew out another $1500 video box.

Yeah, the casing kinda looks cheap. I would overlook it if the PQ made up for it but from what I've seen it doesn't. Doesn't look as good as their previous Aquos line. Perhaps changing the chipset made quite a difference? Also, screens smaller than the 37 have a very limited menu compared to larger screens.

And yeah, the other day I did notice that Best Buy had some tvs hooked up with coax. I just don't understand why stores do that. It makes the whole process so much harder than it needs to be.

bangbang023    31

Honestly, I would look at the new Samsung LNS sets. We got them out and the picture quality is nice on them. The Sony s2000 is also a good set with a very large viewing angle, but there seems to be minor backlight bleeding in the center of the screen.