Sky HD Pre-Order

I got a HDTV (Not sure if it's got the HDMI connection thou)

I do notice from jsut dvds and tv (NTL) the picture does look miles better and watching some episodes of house which source was HD and put in to XVID i do notice how much better it just looked.

Telewest have HD but NTL will be waiting ages for it now. NTL don't like to spend money on upgrading the network.

It be another year or 2 before ntl even thinks about PVR or HD or anything else

i was talking to my sky engineer about this on saturday.

Basically, thompson made all the boxes, sky are subserdising them, so we get them cheaper. But thompson saw how much intrest there was so asked sky for more money!

Sky and thompson came to an agreement and it contiuned, but now they face not making the boxes quick enough. And sky cant get engineers to install quick enough either!

What a disaster.

Well i ordered mine when we are able to first put the pre orders in, and i havnt heard from sky about any delays, so i might be getting it on the day they said, the 30th.

i've seen hd football - the championsl eague last year (liverpool vs ac milan) and it looks fabulous- u can see every strand of grass in clear detail. and the world cup will look brillaint.

lucky for those who will get it just in time for 9th june. :D i'll be just watching it in digital :(

if i had a HDTV, would my BBC signal be automatically be changed to HD for the football or what?

how would i recieve the HD signal for the world cup on my HDTV?

Does it HAVE to go through sky?

It would be nice to have HD in our home, but way to expensive at the moment...

Anyone got an example of the difference in quality?

I hear you have to see to believe :p

if i had a HDTV, would my BBC signal be automatically be changed to HD for the football or what?

how would i recieve the HD signal for the world cup on my HDTV?

Does it HAVE to go through sky?

Only a select few Londoners will be getting HD footy over freeview. Freeview just does not have enough bandwidth to handle HD.

So yep, only through Sky HD. Although hasn't Telewest said they'll be showing BBC in HD as well?

Edit: Basically, you need an HD decoder. You won't just receive HD without knowing you're paying for it.

• 2 weeks later...

you must be enjoying the world cup in HD :p

i've seen BBC HD and it doesnt seem to look good as the HD from USA :/ at first i thought it was only 720- but then reading the receiver box it said the signal was 1080. but im guessing its cuz its in beta stages. havent seen sky HD yet.

someone i know has had a samsung hd lcd tv and the sky hd box, was watching it the other day and i must the hd picture is great, going to be updating my front room set up in a couple of months and going to install a projector and a 300" screen :D

At the moment, i think its only worth it for the discovery and national geo hd channels. The quality is amazing, so much detail.

1080 does make quite a difference, i thought my hd tv didnt support it, but it does and i can see the differences

I will sometime, i have a massive headache, just woke up, hayfever, meh and have to go out soon

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here in Quebec (Canada) using Videotron Illico Digital Cable, I had to pay $699 CAN for the PVR Explorer 8300HD, and it did add $15 a month to get all the HD channels.

Right now, it's plugged on a SDTV, and when I look at "The Movie Network HD", I can see a diffrence in picture quality, even with a SD set!!

I'm waiting for the new line of Sony LCD TV to come out in september. The joy of real 1920x1080p pictures!

any word on them screenshots?

never said i was going to do screenshots :p , i wouldnt know how to anyway, i could take photos of the box and the image on the tv but i dont think will be effective