[Review] Hp 19" LCD Monitor (f1905)

Hello Everyone,

I know what you guys are all thinking; no not an Hp LCD Monitor, why did you get that, etc etc but really, it?s awesome. Now many of you know I buy most of my Computer Products from Hp so this LCD Monitor is no different. To add, there is pictures at the bottom. So here it begins,The Story:b>

At the current moment we are putting the finishing touches on the Basement at our house. We have been working on it for the last 13 months and everything is starting to come together. The Carpeting has just been installed today so now it?s just Baseboards and start to furnish the place left to do. The current monitor I had was a Hp Pavilion mx70 (17? CRT) that came with my Hp Pavilion 761n back 4 years ago (And still running like a dream). In the process of building this Basement we decided we needed to get a new computer desk in the Computer Nook. I found out that the Nook we designed to put a desk in was about the same depth as the Hp CRT Monitor. This wasn?t a good sign; I did not want to have my monitor right at the edge of the desk.

So then I started to look at other ideas when I realized ?Just get an LCD?. Right from the beginning (Late 2005) I started to look at Hp Monitors (Yes, Hp everything). I really did like them but there was no point of getting one before the basement would be done. So now that the Basement is almost done I started to look at LCDs. I was stuck between a BenQ (BenQ FP93GX) and actually a different Hp Monitor (Hp f1905B). My parents recommended that I go with the Hp one due to we have never had issues with Hp and have never even owned a BenQ before.

I went to Future Shop to see the f1905B ($503.99 CAD with $50 US Mail-In Rebate) and it was nice. But then I went to Staples to take a look at the regular Hp f1905 ($399.99 CND with $50 US Mail-In Rebate) that I had saw online. It dawned on me there was no difference. I tried to play videos and view photos on both of the monitors and saw no difference at all. I even did a quick Google on the Hp f1905 to find out that it was rated as one of the ?Top 19inch LCD Monitors To Get? and as a ?Smart Buy? (PCWorld Article). Well my decision was made, I was gonna go for the cheaper Hp Monitor that looked the exact same as the higher priced Hp Monitor. I went to Staples :pried it out again :p) aSpecs:t it.

Specs:

- 19? Thin-Film Transistor LCD active matrix

- Native Resolution of 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

- 450:1 Contrast Ratio

- 250 cd/m? Brightness

- 16 ms Response TimeIncluded In The Box:ncluded In The Box:

- Hp f1905 19? LCD Monitor

- AC Power Cable

- VGA Cable

- ManuaUnpacking:eakers

Unpacking:

Hp really designed this packing well; doesn?t look cheap and really protects the monitor from anything. Everything was in the box and nothing was missing. One thing to note, this LCD does not include a DVI Cable but it does have a Connector. It?s easy enough to get a DVI Cable; I picked one at Wal-Mart for $39.99 from RCA. Once you take all the Manuals, Speakers and Casing, you discover the monitor collapsed and all wrapped it (Really packaged well). You will notice that on the Hp Monitor it has a big Plastic Ribbon holding the adjustable base in place so it cannot extend while in transit. It clearly says not to cut it so I was extremely confused. Took me a second to realize that it just unhooks from each end and then the monitorInstallation:set up.

Installation:

The Installation is extremely easy; 2 Cables to connect (Unless you plan on using the Hp Speakers; then you just plug the Audio Cord into the computer and the Power Cord right into the back of the LCD, yes it has a Power Outlet just for the Speakers). Just plug the AC Cable in and then Connect either the DVI or VGA Cable (Or Both, you can switch between two computers with the buttons on the side). I purchased a DVI Cable so I hooked that up to my ATI Radeon 9200SE (128mb, yes I know, it?s a little sad but I?m not much of a gamer). I had never used to DVI Port and wanted to see what it looked like. I pressed the Power Button on the Side of the Monitor and then Turned on my Computer. The picture Displayed Bright and Clear (Way better then my CRT). I was amazed by the picture!Performance:hook up!

Performance:

I fired up Internet Explorer, Windows Live Messenger and Word 2003 to test how those appeared. Everything looked great (Enabled ClearType I should add) and everything was very easy to read. I then decided I should try one of my games, now I?m not that much of a gamer but do enjoy any Racing Games. I popped my NFS Underground 2 disk into the Drive and started to play. I was completely blown away, I was expecting some ghosting but there was none! My bro even gave his NHL games a try and could find no ghosting. Turns out, 16ms is not bad. I also tried a couple DVDs and a :rofl:vX Files (Family Guy Episode :rofl:) and they all looked amazing. One of my biggest Concerns with purchasing an LCD was Dead Pixels. I am happy to inform that I have tested this monitor with Solid Backgrounds of Red, Green and Blue in PC-DoctoGeneral Comments ? The LCD Monitor:ral Comments ? The LCD Monitor:

General Comments ? The Speakers:

Ummm?..ya?.:whistle:st stick to my Logitech X-220 2.1 Speakers :whistle: . It?s not that the Hp ones are bad, they just don?t have as much Bass and Volume as these ones but comeon, the Hp Speakers were free. I will find a use for them; probably put them on the spare computer. For the regular home user, they will work fine but I like my music loud. And yes, you can use a basic 12V Power Adapter with them, you don?t need to use them only with the LCD. Funny thing is the Power Adapter that came with the Original Hp Speakers for this computeFinal Comments:perfectly with these Speakers too.

Final Comments:

The main purpose I did this review was to prove there is nothing wrong with Hp LCD Monitors; they are actually awesome. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a Mid-End LCD Monitor. I really like it and I know I will enjoy it. The text is easy to read and the gaming and media even perform well on this monitor. Just one recommendation, if you have a DVI port, get a DVI Cable. I never tested the VGA cable with this monitor but at the store they were using it. I find the DVI to have a crisper and clearer image. And guys, I will post pictures when it is on it?s new Desk (in a couple weeks). This is only a temp desk for now, don?t worry.

I really hope I helped someone withPictures (Click to Enlarge):estions feel free to ask.

Pictures (Click to Enlarge):

Before Shot: im001642medium6yj.th.jpg

Box Shot: im001645medium0ix.th.jpg

Open Box Shot: im001646medium4lr.th.jpg

After Shot: im001655medium7jj.th.jpg

Side Shot: im001652medium8pg.th.jpg

LCD Closeup: im001651medium4uq.th.jpg

Speakers: im001656medium7rg.th.jpg

<:yes:moticon' alt=':cool:' />And that is all for now, enjoy :yes:

- Barret :cool:

Edited by thenewbrgnewman

Well hey, nice improvement and congrats on going to an LCD! Makes all the difference in the world!

You can have an uber PC built up but without a good screen, you aren't looking at anything pretty!

Well hey, nice improvement and congrats on going to an LCD! Makes all the difference in the world!

You can have an uber PC built up but without a good screen, you aren't looking at anything pretty!

It's amazing how clear it is! I love this LCD :D

Nice review, I have the f1723, 17" not as high spec as yours but it does the job. Its ok but be careful with the moulded VGA connector as the cable around mine broke and gave me a purple screen for a while until I sent it back, which HP were brilliant about and sent me a new one in less than a week.

Good buy, how much did it cost?

Nice review, I have the f1723, 17" not as high spec as yours but it does the job. Its ok but be careful with the moulded VGA connector as the cable around mine broke and gave me a purple screen for a while until I sent it back, which HP were brilliant about and sent me a new one in less than a week.

Good buy, how much did it cost?

Hp Support is amazing, when my Recovery Partition on my Hard Drive on my Hp Pavilion 761n went corrupt they sent me Recovery CDs with no questions asked and no charge even. I even called them at 2:00am in the morning! But this DVI Cable I got is really High Quality and looks High Strength so I believe it won't fall apart. BTW "tony-inpo", it worked out to be $457.00 CDN (Before Taxes) and then plus a $50 US Mail-In Rebate so it will work out to be $399.99 (Before Taxes).

And "pS-", here is a link to the wallpaper, it's actually a Wallpaper included with Windows Vista that I got off this site: http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcas..._5259_shore.jpg

I've also been going through the settings on this monitor, so many settings. There's actually a pretty cool one that you can set times when your monitor should turn off and also when it should turn on. I have no use for that feature but i can see somepeople who would use it.

- Barret

I recently got a widescreen laptop and i must say, i wouldn't go back to a normal screen.

Nice review by the way.

I really have no need for a widescreen so this monitor works perfectly :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys it's been over a month that i have had this monitor. I actually pulled up the Information Menu on my LCD today and discovered that this LCD has been powered up for "734 Hours" and I have been using it for "183 Hours" :D . It's an amazing monitor, I am loving it. My friends actually envy it over their LCDs cause of how clear it is. I still highly recommend it, no issues and no dead pixels. And I have not once noticed any ghosting.

Oh ya, and here's a picture of it in the Lower Level of my house (We moved it to a new desk also :p)

im0016907jx.th.jpg

- Barret