Linux Screens

Vlad
Originally posted by Nomad559

LINUX SUCKS :p

Spoken like a true 12 year old moron. You must take great pride in your overwhelming ignorance.

Anyways, I agree with Azazel-, linux makes for a pretty crappy desktop machine. XFree needs a major overhaul before I'd consider even comparing the linux gui to windows gui. Specific aspects of XFree need to be removed and others added before it can face Windows as a desktop solution - regardless of how many flashy desktop screenshots you throw at me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't touch a mac if my life depended on it. Despite the wise move towards Unix, I dislike the reputation (at least, the reputation through my eyes) that is associated with them.

sparkleytone
Originally posted by zivan56

I find the pics by nuggetman to look less cluttered and more clear than the those pics (which are low resolution and has big ass icons), are you being sarcastic or do you actually mean that those pics look better?

when you have a 12.1" screen running higher than 1024, then talk ****.

the icons are as big as i want them.

and they do look better. my fonts look better, my icons look better, my instant messenger client fades in and out when a new message is receieved, and i can actually watch quicktime movies!!!

uniacid

I like Linux, but not as a replacement to windows. Linux IMO is better for servers, but not as a main pc, on the other hand, mac's with OS X are a lot better, if I were to choose between Linux or Mac, i'd choose a Mac ;)

chromogenX

to be honest

if you cannot even find SS of "linux" (you're actually looking at the various window managers available)

you are going to have a VERY hard time running linux (finding needed HOWTO's and information on how to run it). I'm sorry but if you plan on running the OS you are going to need to put a little work into it (alot of reading and learning).

sparkleytone
Originally posted by chromogenX

to be honest

if you cannot even find SS of "linux" (you're actually looking at the various window managers available)

you are going to have a VERY hard time running linux (finding needed HOWTO's and information on how to run it). I'm sorry but if you plan on running the OS you are going to need to put a little work into it (alot of reading and learning).

EXACTLY why linux is NOT a desktop OS no matter WHAT kind of screenshots you can produce.

radioboy
Originally posted by sparkleytone

my icons look better

I could use those exact same icons. It's just a matter choice -- I happen to think KDE Crystal looks quite nice (and apparently many others do since they've converted them to XP). I just need to download the ICOs, and if I want convert them to PNGs since I can use any PNG image I want as an icon.

my instant messenger client fades in and out when a new message is receieved

Oh wow... that should be reason enough for me to switch right there :rolleyes:

QuarterSwede
Originally posted by Vlad

Anyways, I agree with Azazel-, linux makes for a pretty crappy desktop machine. XFree needs a major overhaul before I'd consider even comparing the linux gui to windows gui. Specific aspects of XFree need to be removed and others added before it can face Windows as a desktop solution - regardless of how many flashy desktop screenshots you throw at me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't touch a mac if my life depended on it. Despite the wise move towards Unix, I dislike the reputation (at least, the reputation through my eyes) that is associated with them.

Nautilus?

and

Macs are great for sound and video. Now, can I afford a mac? No. And that's exactly why I don't own one.

radioboy

EXACTLY why linux is NOT a desktop OS no matter WHAT kind of screenshots you can produce.

Step 1: Install Mandrake

Step 2: Say yes when Mandrake installer asks if you want to boot right into the GUI

Step 3: Reboot

Personally, I use Slackware, but Gentoo keeps tempting me.. which brings me to another point. Do Macs have an equivilant of "emerge "? If I want the latest Mozilla build in Gentoo, I simply type "emerge mozilla" -- it gets the latest source, plus any dependencies I may need, and compiles them so they're optimized for my system.

sparkleytone
Originally posted by nuggetman

Step 1: Install Mandrake

Step 2: Say yes when Mandrake installer asks if you want to boot right into the GUI

Step 3: Reboot

Personally, I use Slackware, but Gentoo keeps tempting me.. which brings me to another point. Do Macs have an equivilant of "emerge "? If I want the latest Mozilla build in Gentoo, I simply type "emerge mozilla" -- it gets the latest source, plus any dependencies I may need, and compiles them so they're optimized for my system.

dependencies?? whats that? ;) programs just work on OS X.

and i have a GUI version of the emerge concept called ChimeraKnight that downloads, gets the changelog, archives the current chimera, unzips and installs the new build, runs the new build, and exits itself; all automatically.

personally i also use slackware on my x86 box, and also gentoo is tempting me. but since i switched to my iBook, i no longer pretend or disillusion myself that linux is a viable desktop OS.

and my comment that you quoted was mostly in response to:

I'm sorry but if you plan on running the OS you are going to need to put a little work into it (alot of reading and learning).
zivan56

when you have a 12.1" screen running higher than 1024, then talk ****.

the icons are as big as i want them.

and they do look better. my fonts look better, my icons look better, my instant messenger client fades in and out when a new message is receieved, and i can actually watch quicktime movies!!!

You cant have a normal 12.1" monitor running at 1024x768, it is impossible for the monitor to display it, even if it was an lcd, the max it would go to is 800x600.

I am not saying you can't change them, I'm just saying I find them ugly on any OS.

You think it is better, it is not better just because you say so. I didnt know multitasking is a new thing in OS X, I could use msn and watch movies at the same time, even quicktime ones ! :cheeky:

sparkleytone
Originally posted by zivan56

You cant have a normal 12.1" monitor running at 1024x768, it is impossible for the monitor to display it, even if it was an lcd, the max it would go to is 800x600.

....even quicktime ones ! :cheeky:

ummm...my 12.1" screen runs 1024x768 just fine thank you.

i am as yet still unaware of a program able to watch quicktime movies in linux. i havent looked in a while, but i havent heard of it.

zivan56

i am as yet still unaware of a program able to watch quicktime movies in linux. i havent looked in a while, but i havent heard of it.

OpenQuicktime or Quicktime 4 Linux

Kenno
Originally posted by 3nd3r

do you have a link to that msn clone?

http://amsn.soureforge.net

Anyway, to the Gaim using dude, do you know how could we use Gaim for msn? I saw it could be used in the screenshot, how I don't know how to add my msn friend in the list. Do I need any plugins? Thanks.

wickedlester
here is my desktop in mandrake 9 running kde3
sdkaneda

let's be fair here. if all you do is IM, web surf and listen to music, which is mostly what I do with a computer, then linux is an excellent choice. especially for people like me who want to learn how to administer their own server i nthe meantime, AND have an OS where you can self-configure every possible aspect of it. if there's anything i don't like about linux, i can change it. it's all wide open for me to tweak.

i know windows is very tweakable (i've always been a big tweaker), but i've only been using linux as a serious OS for a couple of weeks and i've learned a lot and i feel very comfortable using it.

mind you, if gaming is what you want.. stick to windows.

Prasanth
MPlayer does that.
if all you do is IM, web surf and listen to music, which is mostly what I do with a computer, then linux is an excellent choice.

windows is better if all you do is IM,web surf and listen to music :p

radioboy
Originally posted by prasanth

MPlayer does that.

windows is better if all you do is IM,web surf and listen to music :p

Why's that? For IMs I've got GAIM/Everybuddy/AMSN/counless ICQ clones/a million Jabber clients. For web surfing you've got Mozilla, Netscape, Galeon, and Opera. For listening to music you've got XMMS.

Phil Gates
Originally posted by Nomad559

LINUX SUCKS :p

we're losing him check the pulse!

he's brainwashed by billy!

actually, linux is better than windows because it isn't controlled by whiny bitches with athority (aka Microsoft). linux is free to change and people don't make distros to become millionares

radioboy

Here's another comment I fogot about....

I can run the latest distribution of Slackware with the latest kernel (albeit w/ a small window manager, not KDE or GNOME) perfectly smoothly on a 120MHz laptop w/ 48 megs of RAM and a 1 gig hard drive. Win98 runs fine on this machine (but I've hardly got any room for anything), 2000 is unbaerably slow and leaves me w/ NO hard drive space for everything else, and XP is out of the question totally.

sdkaneda

running gaim, mozilla and xmms, linux is a joy to kill time with. i like it better than windows because it's simpler and very configurable.