Linux Screens


Recommended Posts

sparkleytone
Originally posted by nuggetman

Why's that? For IMs I've got GAIM/Everybuddy/AMSN/counless ICQ clones/a million Jabber clients. For web surfing you've got Mozilla, Netscape, Galeon, and Opera. For listening to music you've got XMMS.

another inherent problem with linux and the internet itself. the total lack of standards. three million choices, never one that is ubiquitous. thats fine when things are being ironed out, but ten years later i need a file structure standard dammit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
zivan56
Originally posted by sparkleytone

another inherent problem with linux and the internet itself. the total lack of standards. three million choices, never one that is ubiquitous. thats fine when things are being ironed out, but ten years later i need a file structure standard dammit.

Why would you want one? then there would be no choice at all. There already is a file structure standard look and a Linux standard

Link to post
Share on other sites
radioboy
Originally posted by sparkleytone

another inherent problem with linux and the internet itself. the total lack of standards. three million choices, never one that is ubiquitous. thats fine when things are being ironed out, but ten years later i need a file structure standard dammit.

Um... Windowos has IE/Netscape/Mozilla/Opera, AIM/ICQ/MSN/Trillian/Yahoo, Winamp/Sonique/Windows Media/Real/QuickTime. Hardly what I would call ubiquitous. If you want one program for every function, use AOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
xWeston
Originally posted by wickedlester

here is my desktop in mandrake 9 running kde3

That is terribly cluttered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenno

How about we all finished this discussion? Whoever likes Linux uses linux (I do). Whoever likes Windows uses Windows. This is like a debating similar to if you like eating Orange or Apple.... just eat or, just use...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tiger.Girl
Originally posted by Kenno

How about we all finished this discussion? Whoever likes Linux uses linux (I do). Whoever likes Windows uses Windows. This is like a debating similar to if you like eating Orange or Apple.... just eat or, just use...

and where would the fun be in that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Night Prowler
Originally posted by Phil Gates

we're losing him check the pulse!

he's brainwashed by billy!

actually, linux is better than windows because it isn't controlled by whiny bitches with athority (aka Microsoft). linux is free to change and people don't make distros to become millionares

Now there is a good example. Linux is cheaper, so it has to be better then Windows.

Not as bad as the "Linux Sucks" guy, but a real second place winner.

Linux has its place; just look back 2 years ago with Linux, and now. What an amazing accomplishment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tiger.Girl

i remember installing redhat 4.1 it was my 1st linux distro and i hated it, formated my hd and got rid of the cd's as soon as i could

when 7.0 came out i was more willing to learn and gave it a try

ever since i have been using it more and more and awaiting 8.0

*checks ftp.redhat.com*

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wing

most importantly, linux is free, as in speech, and that can be what counts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
wickedlester
Originally posted by xWeston

That is terribly cluttered.

i happen to like cluttered :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
Prasanth
Originally posted by nuggetman

Why's that? For IMs I've got GAIM/Everybuddy/AMSN/counless ICQ clones/a million Jabber clients. For web surfing you've got Mozilla, Netscape, Galeon, and Opera. For listening to music you've got XMMS.

For IM/IRC windows has trillian and the browsers are avilable on windows too. Winamp is better than XMMS and there's no good DVD player like WinDVD/PowerDVD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
radioboy
Originally posted by Night Prowler

*response to "linux is free to change"*

Now there is a good example. Linux is cheaper, so it has to be better then Windows.

I believe he was referring to free as in speech, not free as in beer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-

You know, after reading this whole thread, I'm amazed. zivan56 openly states that a 12.1" lcd couldn't run at 1024x768, even though that's the iBook's native resolution, and is blatantly stated everywhere you can possibly find iBook documentation. Glad he took the time to check. But anyways. Here's the deal. I hate Microsoft. I -dislike- Windows XP. I do like UNIX, be it linux, FreeBSD (and variants) and OS X. I do not like the visuals on open-source software. I've been using linux since 1996. I can plainly, openly and freely state that I do not like the choices for open source windowmanagers. This includes Gnome and KDE. I will make no excuses, because I know what I like and what I don't. I want something pretty and uniform, with consistency. I can afford a Mac. I am not broke nor cheap. I can run most open-source software on said Mac. I can run most worthwhile M$ apps and decent games on a Mac. I can purchase a machine built with the sole purpose and intent of running Unix. So what the hell is so bad about Macs in the linux crowd? I can understand the fanboys that love Windows, and their animosity towards a clearly superior product...but why the linux guys?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tiger.Girl

wickedlester that guy in your desktop is pretty ugly lookin

Link to post
Share on other sites
BroChaos
Originally posted by azazel-

You know, after reading this whole thread, I'm amazed. zivan56 openly states that a 12.1" lcd couldn't run at 1024x768, even though that's the iBook's native resolution, and is blatantly stated everywhere you can possibly find iBook documentation. Glad he took the time to check. But anyways. Here's the deal. I hate Microsoft. I -dislike- Windows XP. I do like UNIX, be it linux, FreeBSD (and variants) and OS X. I do not like the visuals on open-source software. I've been using linux since 1996. I can plainly, openly and freely state that I do not like the choices for open source windowmanagers. This includes Gnome and KDE. I will make no excuses, because I know what I like and what I don't. I want something pretty and uniform, with consistency. I can afford a Mac. I am not broke nor cheap. I can run most open-source software on said Mac. I can run most worthwhile M$ apps and decent games on a Mac. I can purchase a machine built with the sole purpose and intent of running Unix. So what the hell is so bad about Macs in the linux crowd? I can understand the fanboys that love Windows, and their animosity towards a clearly superior product...but why the linux guys?

hey, i'm a linux guy and love macs. as soon as i can afford one, i'll be getting one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
sparkleytone
Originally posted by Kenno

How about we all finished this discussion? Whoever likes Linux uses linux (I do). Whoever likes Windows uses Windows. This is like a debating similar to if you like eating Orange or Apple.... just eat or, just use...

not necessarily ;) i don't "like" linux, but i do use it. think its great for static uses, such as fileservers webservers ftpservers *servers etc. Its just not a desktop OS in the sense that a "desktop OS" is something that can be used day in day out without hassles by the average user.

maybe people who like linux use it, but not everyone who uses linux likes it

Link to post
Share on other sites
[LOF]skinnylegs

I can understand the fanboys that love Windows, and their animosity towards a clearly superior product.....

How do you define "superior product?" I use my PC running XP for both work and entertainment and I seldom if ever encounter problems. It runs every application I use and does so flawlessly. I, like most people, have no interest whatsoever in "command lines" and I see Linux as regression.....not innovation. Mac OS is a wonderful OS full of eye candy but it is still Mac OS!!! I'm a gamer and this means limitations (see below.)

I can run most worthwhile M$ apps and decent games on a Mac.....

If I'm not mistaken, there is NO demo of UT2003 for Mac. Sure, eventually there will be but I'm not into uneccesarily waiting for things. Oh, and the graphic cards available for Macs are essentially outdated.

Give me one compelling reason to use Mac OS or linux!!! Just one!!! Price? Not hardly! Stability? No way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-
Originally posted by [LOF]skinnylegs

I can understand the fanboys that love Windows, and their animosity towards a clearly superior product.....

How do you define "superior product?" I use my PC running XP for both work and entertainment and I seldom if ever encounter problems. It runs every application I use and does so flawlessly. I, like most people, have no interest whatsoever in "command lines" and I see Linux as regression.....not innovation. Mac OS is a wonderful OS full of eye candy but it is still Mac OS!!! I'm a gamer and this means limitations (see below.)

I can run most worthwhile M$ apps and decent games on a Mac.....

If I'm not mistaken, there is NO demo of UT2003 for Mac. Sure, eventually there will be but I'm not into uneccesarily waiting for things. Oh, and the graphic cards available for Macs are essentially outdated.

Give me one compelling reason to use Mac OS or linux!!! Just one!!! Price? Not hardly! Stability? No way.

Leave it to the game monkies to trot that out. I don't like FPS. I could give a crap less if I can play another stupid, unrealist game about shooting other people. That gets boring after about 15 minutes. You can keep your UT2k3, and your service packs, exploits, system crashes, crappy drivers..."Oooh...I get 241 fps in Quake XXVIX, using my new GeForce 13. Hey, dude, where's your little brother? Oh, I sold him to buy this card, aint it sweet? It was only $850, and the newer ti version will be out in a week! And peep this, nVidia has their own financing program now! Sweet!" Um...sorry if my computing experience isn't ruled by graphics hardware. I actually do other stuff.

Mac OS X is unix, you dim bulb. Unix is universally recognized as being more stable than anything Redmond has conceived of putting out to date. If you doubt that...well...live in ignorance, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Phantom Spaceman
Originally posted by azazel-

Leave it to the game monkies to trot that out. I don't like FPS. I could give a crap less if I can play another stupid, unrealist game about shooting other people. That gets boring after about 15 minutes. You can keep your UT2k3, and your service packs, exploits, system crashes, crappy drivers..."Oooh...I get 241 fps in Quake XXVIX, using my new GeForce 13. Hey, dude, where's your little brother? Oh, I sold him to buy this card, aint it sweet? It was only $850, and the newer ti version will be out in a week! And peep this, nVidia has their own financing program now! Sweet!" Um...sorry if my computing experience isn't ruled by graphics hardware. I actually do other stuff.

Mac OS X is unix, you dim bulb. Unix is universally recognized as being more stable than anything Redmond has conceived of putting out to date. If you doubt that...well...live in ignorance, I guess.

ROFLMAO, I just think that people that are just going to flame Linux/unix need to stay in the windows section unless they have some quality reasons with evidence to support their theorys, I only use Linux and I run all the games I own and I love it its great. To each his own though you know what I mean. I love the way you put that though. =o)

Link to post
Share on other sites
radioboy
Originally posted by [LOF]skinnylegs

Oh, and the graphic cards available for Macs are essentially outdated.

Umm... didn't the GeForce3 AND GeForce4 both DEBUT on the Mac? Correct me if I'm wrong here...

I don't hate Macs, I'd love to have a Powerbook. I was just trying to quell azazel-'s "my comput0r r0x0rz cuz i have k00ler ikonz" rant :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
[LOF]skinnylegs

Azael......I highly advise getting the facts straight before making ignorant comments.

Allow me to clarify a few things......

First off, if you like MacOS or Linux, use them. I have NO problem with any operating system. I was a Mac user for years. Loved the OS; hated the lack of software support. I also hated the fact that Macintosh is about as proprietary a company as one will find! I don't like being spoon fed hardware. I prefer to choose what I want to use.

What I DO have a problem with is ignorant statements about Windows. Look....I'm no computer geek. I run a business and occasionally play games on my computer. I use XP and it works 99.9% of the time. It SEEMS that those who are constantly having problems with a comp. running Windows are the same people who have half a bazillion third party programs running on it as well. This leads me to believe that it's NOT WINDOWS, it's the other crap that's been loaded on the comp.

In regards to your comments about gaming and gamers....ahem. Let me catch my breath here.....lol. I enjoy gaming and in particular FPS's. Why do you have a problem with that. Is entering command line items infinately more fun or noble than fragging? I think you get my point. As I stated earlier, each to their own. That being said, neither my life nor my computing experience is ruled by gaming. It's just occasional entertainment...nothing more and nothing less. BTW.....I have yet to sell a relative in order to satisfy my craving for a video card.....lol.

Let me be quite frank about my last point, you DIM BULB: Windows works great for the vast majority of people!

My question remains.....give me ONE COMPELLING REASON TO SWITCH TO UNIX OR LINUX.

I await your reply..........

Link to post
Share on other sites
[LOF]skinnylegs

Nuggetman, I'd have to check but I don't think 128 meg. Geforce 4 cards are currently available for Macs. Mind you, I could be wrong......

Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-
Originally posted by [LOF]skinnylegs

Azael......I highly advise getting the facts straight before making ignorant comments.

Allow me to clarify a few things......

First off, if you like MacOS or Linux, use them. I have NO problem with any operating system. I was a Mac user for years. Loved the OS; hated the lack of software support. I also hated the fact that Macintosh is about as proprietary a company as one will find! I don't like being spoon fed hardware. I prefer to choose what I want to use.

What I DO have a problem with is ignorant statements about Windows. Look....I'm no computer geek. I run a business and occasionally play games on my computer. I use XP and it works 99.9% of the time. It SEEMS that those who are constantly having problems with a comp. running Windows are the same people who have half a bazillion third party programs running on it as well. This leads me to believe that it's NOT WINDOWS, it's the other crap that's been loaded on the comp.

In regards to your comments about gaming and gamers....ahem. Let me catch my breath here.....lol. I enjoy gaming and in particular FPS's. Why do you have a problem with that. Is entering command line items infinately more fun or noble than fragging? I think you get my point. As I stated earlier, each to their own. That being said, neither my life nor my computing experience is ruled by gaming. It's just occasional entertainment...nothing more and nothing less. BTW.....I have yet to sell a relative in order to satisfy my craving for a video card.....lol.

Let me be quite frank about my last point, you DIM BULB: Windows works great for the vast majority of people!

My question remains.....give me ONE COMPELLING REASON TO SWITCH TO UNIX OR LINUX.

I await your reply..........

First off, I fail to see anywhere where you stated a fact. If anything, it was a series of opinions, but I digress.

I am sick of upgrading hardware. Period. I want something that I can just use for a few years, then sell and buy something completely new. I'm tired of buying PC components and having them obsolete by the time I walk out of the store and get in my car. I'm tired of it. Simple as that. You may like upgrading consistently. I do not. Hence, I am purposely negating the possibility of having that "upgrade urge" that is so very prevelant in the PC world. You may feel differently, that's you.

Windows is a platform for software. It's an OS. It's not some diety to fall down and worship. You can't just install Windows and go "Wow man, lookit dem dere Winders. Dat's some sweet **** right dere!" To do so would be pretty boring and silly. You *have* to have third party software. That being said, I will agree that XP is the best OS Microsoft has put out to date. Does that mean it's perfect? Er...no. Even close. Eh...getting there. Is it as stable as a Unix-derivative? Ha...nope. Even close? Quit, you're making me spit soda out of my nose. It's just not. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Unix, be it Solaris, Linux, *BSD, or OS X, are all more stable than Windows. Strange thing is, the most frequently-crashing program on this Windows system is Office XP. Ain't that something weird? Yeah, I guess that would fall into the "other crap loaded on the comp" category. :right:

As far as gaming goes...I play mostly RTS or turn-based games. I enjoy thinking and building. My job entails me walking around with a semi-automatic assault rifle and 120 rounds of amunition, every nite that I work. I've seen what these weapons do to people, and I know reasonably what combat is like. I do not find much pleasure in seeing some moron jumping and twisting in mid-air while blasting 3 people with a rocket launcher. It's not realistic, and, IMHO, pretty pointless and stupid. Maybe I don't have pent-up aggressions or whatever, but still. If that's what you like, more power to you. Not my cup of tea.

As far as your last little "fact", yeah, Windows (XP) may work for a lot of people. Say you want to go somewhere, and a bike will get you where you want to go. Too bad a lot of people don't know there are cars out there. Different models and types. All faster, safer and more efficient than that rickety old bike. :rolleyes:

I guess after all is said and done, the most compelling reason I can think of switching to Unix or Linux...well...it's people like you. :ponder:

Btw, you *do* realize you're posting in a linux forum, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
[LOF]skinnylegs

Azael.......

.....it was a series of opinions

You are correct. I was offering my opinion as I have done throughout this thread. I stand corrected. What I think you fail to see is that your insights are opinion as well. Nothing more and nothing less.

.....I am purposely negating the possibility of having that "upgrade urge" that is so very prevelant in the PC world

Wait a minute, you lost me on this one. In terms of OS.....how releases has Macintosh had in the last couple of years? Macintosh is notorious for plethoras of incremental releases. I speak from experience.....I used a Mac for many years. In terms of hardware.....I don't feel compelled to upgrade my hardware every month. Sure, I'm running a cutting edge system as we speak but I'll use this comp. for at least a year before upgrading. That being said, it's nice to know that PC component manufactureres are constantly striving to bring new and innovative products to the PC market. It's also comforting to know that I am free to choose from a number of vendors when I do want to upgrade. On the other hand, if you use Macintosh you better like that shiny little multicolored apple 'cause you're gonna' see it on every piece of hardware you buy! As far as Linux goes, there are new flavors of OS virtually every day. If it works so well, why are they constantly changing it??? BTW....that was meant to be a rhetorical statement. Linux is an extremely "unpolished" OS. Stable.....yes. Inexpensive or free.....definately. User friendly.....it's getting closer but it's not there yet. As far as hardware goes.....Linux runs on the same hardware as Windows so are not Linux users posed with the same dilemma (whether to jump on the upgrade wagon)?

.....Windows is a platform for software. It's an OS. It's not some diety to fall down and worship.

Where did this come from?.....lol. Let's be honest here. If any group of computer users live, eat and breath their OS, it would have to be UNIX, Mac or Linux users. I can't speak for all Windows users, but most of my friends who have Windows have extremely active lives outside of our OS and computing experience. We have no desire to spend the better part of our lives on the computer.....that's why we use Windows!

.....Unix, be it Solaris, Linux, *BSD, or OS X, are all more stable than Windows

I will be the first to admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computing. I will take it a step further and say that you probably know a heck of a lot more about computers, OS's etc. than I do. That being said, I use a computer on a daily basis. The applications I use regularly are MS Office, Claris Works (a throw-back to my Mac days), Outlook Express, Lotus Organizer, Limewire, Roxio Easy CD Creator and, ahem, Unreal Tournament. I can honestly say that seldom, if ever, do these applications fail me. So.....this brings me to my point. More stable? If they work, aren't they stable? What could Linux, UNIX or MacOS offer me that I don't already have?

.....You *have* to have third party software.

I may be using the wrong terminology so correct me if I'm wrong. First-party software would be OS imbedded software (System Restore, WMP etc.). Second-party software is software from major manufacturers (Adobe, Microsoft etc.). Third-party software is the software created by fringe companies. Most/many third-party software fall into the category of "freeware" and "shareware." As I said, I may have my terminology wrong and, as shocked as you may be, I would appreciate your clarification. Anyway.....the software which seems to create many computer woes falls into the category of third party as I've just described above. It seems that many of these programs are thrown together, not adequately tested and possibly even created with the intent of wreaking havoc on a system. I have few of these programs on my computer. Maybe that's why my system runs virtually flawlessly.

.....My job entails me walking around with a semi-automatic assault rifle

Maybe you enjoy games that require "thinking and building" precisely because your line of work requires mostly reactionary skills. I, on the other hand, own a successful company that requires "thinking and building". It's the last thing I want to do when I get a bit of R&R. See where I'm going with this? Maybe our gaming reflects the antithesis of our real world experiences. Thank God not everyone enjoys FPS's! The servers are full enough!

.....pretty pointless and stupid.

Isn't all gaming inherantly "pointless" and "stupid?" It's recreation and each to their own. I am the last person to put someone down for what games they like to play. If turned based games are your thing.....have at it.

.....Maybe I don't have pent-up aggressions

Take this one for what it's worth. Your post is filled with both infammatory and passive-aggressive statements. You may want to re-evaluate your thoughts on this one.

.....the most compelling reason I can think of switching to Unix or Linux...well...it's people like you.

People like me.....hmmmm. Let me tell you about "people like me." I have built a successful company. I have a beautiful home and several nice cars. I have raised a daughter solo since she was 3; she is now a productive and well thought of 18 year old. I donate a considerable amount of time to my church and my community. I sponsor and/or coach teams in virtually every sport. I also donate more money to charities than most people make in a year. I have been known to send video cards, games, processors etc. to kids on the net who do not have the same resources I have. "People like me?" I would highly advise gathering information before making statements such as you have made.

.....you *do* realize you're posting in a linux forum, right?

Yeah....lol. neowin.net Board > Operating Systems Support > Unix/Linux Distros > Linux Screens. I love a debate. Do you think I'm gonna' find one in the Windows threads?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.