Linux Screens

pagal
I have been known to send video cards, games, processors etc. to kids on the net who do not have the same resources I have.

you do?

btw, good post!

NeonGenesis
I have been known to send video cards, games, processors etc. to kids on the net who do not have the same resources I have.

*sniffle* I'z runnin' a 200 mhz overclocked Pentium with an S3 Virge DX video card and 64 megs of RAM, and trying to start a graphic design business at the age of 17 ([shameless plug] http://www.techjar.com/ngdesigns [/shameless plug]). Please, suh! Please!

:p Just kidding. You did make some good points, and I certainly agree with you on a vast majority of them. For the standard computer user, Windows does just fine. For those who can afford it, that is...

I am, as stated above, 17. I have a horrible POS computer, yet I am trying to pursue computer graphic design as a career. Windows is all fine and good for me, but lets face it. I can't afford a hundred dollars for an operating system, and two hundred dollars for a graphics editing suite, and two hundred more for an Office program. The alternative, which I am pursuing as we speak: Linux.

For the average user, Windows is fine, but this nice, open, availability of Linux and it's underlying software to literally anyone who has the connection to download it is a godsend. My computer, as a Windows system, is ridden with piracy and illegal software so I can pursue a career. But, switch to Linux, and instantly I have a wide variety of software available to me for free. GIMP, OpenOffice, all kinds of stuff to replace the thousands of dollars of software I simply can't afford, all on a stable (albeit not so user friendly) operating system that costs me nothing at all.

For the casual computer user who can afford it, no doubt Windows (or Macs, if you prefer) is the way to go. But Linux has it's positives, too, and pricing is one of them. It may not be an incentive for you, and I no doubt respect that, but it is a hell of an incentive for some, such as myself.

azazel-

You know...do whatever you want. Use whatever you want. Play whatever games you want. I was merely trying to defend my points about *nix in a *nix forum when attacked by a windows user, who, by his own admission, doesn't really know that much about computing. Which is essentially what I meant when I said "people like you". I wasn't commenting on how swell of a guy you are, your social status, or how much you contribute to your local community. In fact, I could care less. If you wanna get offended by what people are saying about Windows in a *nix-related forum, then you're essentially itching for a fight. Whatever. I'm tired of writing paragraphs and thesis papers, over and over about *nix and Windows...especially when I'm debating with someone who doesn't really know much about computing. Well, use what you want, I'll use what I want, and we'll both be happy. But, in quick. By upgrade urge, I was referring to hardware, not software. Which is what that statement is typically used in reference to. As for the next couple of points...well, you essentially completely missed my points, which is in itself quite impressive, since I was attempting to be as simplistic as possible. My point is, you can't -just- run windows. There has to be other software, and one will never know how said software will interact with windows. *nix more stable than windows? Well, I've used a lot of *nix and windows, over quite a span of years. Yes, *nix is more stable. I'm not going to reiterate any points about this, because all you have to do is do some simple research and you'll find I'm right. The whole game thing...well...that's just my opinion. Once again, I don't feel like reiterating points that I already made earlier. But if you are deluded enough to think they are in some way realistic or accurate in their portrayal of combat, you are sorely mistaken.

As for the last part...well, you sound like a really good guy, IRL. Unfortunately, little of that matters here. You inserted yourself into a thread, and essentially attacked its intended participants. And you don't know much about computing... :rolleyes:

Whatever. This has gotten really tired and old, and a tad bit boring as well. Use what you want. Play whatever games you want. I could really care less.

[LOF]skinnylegs

NeonGenesis......that was a very compelling reason for someone to use Linux and I fully respect that. The cost of a Windows box can be prohibitively expensive when programs costing hundreds of dollars over and above the hardware are required.

Have you installed Linux yet? I heard something about Linux offering a $99 "download all you want program." I know that's kinda' vague but maybe you know what I'm talking about? Would this be a useful tool for you?

BTW.....impressive web site!

NeonGenesis

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. I haven't yet installed Linux yet, as I am researching and debating between two distros (Red Hat and Mandrake), trying to figure out which of the two would better suit my needs. But, regardless of the one I choose, both are available at a price that would suit my financial situation the best. Free. :p

As far as the $99 thing, are you referring to Lindows, perhaps, and their little two year deal they have going? That's the first thing that comes to mind when $99 and Linux are in the same sentence, lol.

[LOF]skinnylegs

I'm gonna' run out on an appointment. I should be back in an hour or so. I'll check for your post when I return.

Maybe you could find a flavor of Linux which best suits your needs and let me know. BTW.....I'm talkin' about those you pay for. It seems like you get more when you pay for them.

NeonGenesis

Thanks for the link, though I've already scoured through there a couple of times. I'm not entirely unfamiliar with either distro, and I was even a Mandrake user for a brief period around 7.2. What I am really debating about now is which of the two would better suit graphic design and multimedia as the system's primary function. The new Linux Mandtrake 9 has been praised like hell on it's ease of use, and I've been told it's very nice, but then again, Red Hat just released 8.0, and from what I've seen, it's very attractive, with great anti-aliasing on fonts, and some very pretty shots running OpenOffice.

I can't make up my mind on which to go with quite yet. Either way, I'm sure the free versions will suit me just fine, as it would not be used for any advanced function like a server or a professional business system, but as a desktop OS.

divinatum

get yourself gentoo.. its so much better. no bloat! :)

BroChaos

interesting views guys. glad it could stay fairly civilized. just some things i felt like pointing out. linux users are not faced with the upgrade urge, linux has nowhere near the systerm requirements of windows.

IMO, windows is going downhill. gaming is making huge strides for both mac and linux. stability for windows just does not mach mac or linux. is it a software issue? a hardware issue? both? but either way, the fact still remains. aside from gaming, when it comes to software choices, it's almost to the point where there is one GOOD linux/mac alternative to each type of windows software. windows just has thousands of the same crappy apps, doing the same thing. mac/*nix systems can go for years without a hardware upgrade, windows can't. heh, i could go on, but i'll stop.

[LOF]skinnylegs

If it wasn't for gaming, I'd be running Mac OS 10.2 (isn't that the latest version?) From my experience and from everything I've read, gaming is the primary driving force in the push for faster processors, graphics cards etc. Let's face it, how fast does one need a word processing program to open?

NeonGenesis......let me know if I can be of help. The ball is in your court.

BroChaos......I would have to agree that there are soooo many programs that do essentially the same thing. It gives us a lot to choose from but it also makes for an overwhelming experience at times.

Azazel.....best of luck to ya'. I was looking for a lively debate and you know what they say about asking what you wish for.....hehehehe. Anyway, no hard feelings.

zivan56
Originally posted by azazel-

You know, after reading this whole thread, I'm amazed. zivan56 openly states that a 12.1" lcd couldn't run at 1024x768, even though that's the iBook's native resolution

I said you can't have a normal or normal LCD 12.1" monitor running @ 1024x768, he never mentioned an iBook lcd monitor :right:

see:

http://www.baytek.de/englisch/BayPanel412-D.htm

http://www.crystalvisions.com/lcdmonitor12inch.htm

http://www.inducomp.com/products/19rack_12.shtml

http://www.mitsutech.com/MT1200.html

You want me to go on?

NeonGenesis
NeonGenesis......let me know if I can be of help. The ball is in your court.

Thanks, I do appreciate it.

ViMan
Originally posted by divinatum

get yourself gentoo.. its so much better. no bloat! :)

Gentoo's excellent. But I wouldn't really recommend it for someone trying out Linux for the first time (same goes for Debian). I think distributions such as Mandrake and Redhat (as well as SuSE) are the best for people trying out Linux for the first time.

sparkleytone
Originally posted by zivan56

I said you can't have a normal or normal LCD 12.1" monitor running @ 1024x768, he never mentioned an iBook lcd monitor :right:

see:

You want me to go on?

man, what else WOULD it be on?? lets see:

OS X :: Apple System

12.1" screen & Apple System :: iBook

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

azazel-
Originally posted by zivan56

see:

You want me to go on?

What, is the iBook screen magic or something? Is there special voodoo smoke in there that makes it work? :p

Kenno
Originally posted by ViMan

Gentoo's excellent. But I wouldn't really recommend it for someone trying out Linux for the first time (same goes for Debian). I think distributions such as Mandrake and Redhat (as well as SuSE) are the best for people trying out Linux for the first time.

That's very true. I haven't tried it myself though I've been using Linux for awhile. But I will one day.

ViMan
Originally posted by BroChaos

IMO, windows is going downhill. gaming is making huge strides for both mac and linux. stability for windows just does not mach mac or linux.

Yeah. I think that Microsoft's days are numbered. An example of how Microsoft does not really care about the quality of a product and more on controlling the market for a certain product is IE. Before Netscape died, IE and Netscape were both competing in terms of features, speed, etc. After Microsoft won the "browser wars", we've seen practically no innovation whatsoever in IE. From IE 5.x to 6.0, there have basically been no new innovations or added features. On the other hand, an open-source browser such as Mozilla is constantly being improved in both speed and functionality. That's the difference between something that is purely corporate/financial and something that is based on a greater goal (quality software for the masses). The first cares only about market share while the other cares more about quality.

azazel-

Gentoo is pretty incredible. I love how it is so customized to the users wishes. Only complaint is how long it takes to install, which was the major killing factor for me. I tend to flip-flop around too much, installing new distros whenever they are released, and reinstalling gentoo over and over is pretty masochistic.

JrDZ13
Originally posted by ViMan

Yeah. I think that Microsoft's days are numbered.

Priceless!!!

haha... yup Microsoft owns, what, 98% of the market? PC's are....what?... more powerful than MACS. Hmmm, interesting hypothesis, but I think we're gunna be seeing M$ for a long time.

azazel-
Originally posted by JrDZ13

Priceless!!!

haha... yup Microsoft owns, what, 98% of the market? PC's are....what?... more powerful than MACS. Hmmm, interesting hypothesis, but I think we're gunna be seeing M$ for a long time.

I'm sure people said the same thing about Rome... :right:

JrDZ13

I WOULD LIKE SOME1 TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW MACS ARE MORE STABLE AND MORE POWERFUL THAN PCS?

please, just tell me. I'll switch today.

Frankly there is NOTHING i cannot do with PC that I can do with a Mac.

My p4 2.8 can outperform every Mac on the market.

My pc doesnt crash. Running a BETA, a ***** beta! of windows .net server, I am yet to crash, or experience ANY lack of stability. In fact, I have seen no lack of stability since the release of windows xp.

SO PLEASE, JUST 1 THING THAT I CANT DO WITH A PC. JUST 1 NON OPINIONATED IDEA!

azazel-

Boy, sure am glad Mr. Openminded decided to join us today. :right:

If you wanna use your whiz-bang fast PeeCee with the beta OS's, more power to you. Of course they do the same things. They are computers! What'd you expect them to do, change the oil in your car? Some people prefer linux. Some people prefer Macs. You like your PeeCee. Good for you. Do you want some prize or something?

I just don't get why people come into the Linux/Unix forums to blather on endlessly about their friggin' Wintel boxes. Do you really need that much attention? Were you not hugged enough as a child?

Use whatever you want, and be happy. Or at the least, go talk about it to people that care. 'Cause I'm really guessing no one in here will. And moreso, you're just gonna come off looking like an ass, ****ing people off, and get made a fool out of by people that are more than likely a lot more computer-literate than you. Personally, I've wasted enough time argueing. I've made my points in many other threads, and I'm tired of repeating myself to every know-it-all kid that comes in here ranting and raving about how stable his beta-this-or-that is, then wants help fixing it tomorrow. Blah blah blah...it gets so old... :right:

sparkleytone
Originally posted by JrDZ13

I WOULD LIKE SOME1 TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW MACS ARE MORE STABLE AND MORE POWERFUL THAN PCS?

please, just tell me. I'll switch today.

Frankly there is NOTHING i cannot do with PC that I can do with a Mac.

My p4 2.8 can outperform every Mac on the market.

My pc doesnt crash. Running a BETA, a ***** beta! of windows .net server, I am yet to crash, or experience ANY lack of stability. In fact, I have seen no lack of stability since the release of windows xp.

SO PLEASE, JUST 1 THING THAT I CANT DO WITH A PC. JUST 1 NON OPINIONATED IDEA!

Run OS X.