Linux Screens

You like your PeeCee. Good for you. Do you want some prize or something?
yes please oh please can i have a prize all knowing OSguru!
I can understand the fanboys that love Windows

wewt im a mac user, i generalize!

Leave it to the game monkies
ah atleast you dont talk down to anybody....again, get off your goddamn pedestal.
and your service packs, exploits, system crashes, crappy drivers..."Oooh...I get 241 fps in Quake XXVIX, using my new GeForce 13. Hey, dude, where's your little brother? Oh, I sold him to buy this card, aint it sweet? It was only $850, and the newer ti version will be out in a week! And peep this, nVidia has their own financing program now! Sweet!" Um...sorry if my computing experience isn't ruled by graphics hardware. I actually do other stuff.
WOOT, ya you got this one right on, speaking from experience right? pure hard facts, not exagerating at all.
Mac OS X is unix, you dim bulb
such a nice guy to talk to....
Windows is a platform for software. It's an OS. It's not some diety to fall down and worship. You can't just install Windows and go "Wow man, lookit dem dere Winders. Dat's some sweet **** right dere!" To do so would be pretty boring and silly.

just what is this thread about again? you hijacked a linux screenshot thread and explained to everyone how they should bow down to aqua, as you do before every meal, thanking it for your wonderful life....

was this you saying that OSX.2+(or whatever its at hehe) is the only OS worth bowing to? or are you explaining that buying a brand of computer based on the GUI is a waste of time?? because if thats the case.... you have some thinking to do.

you want to have a discussion, have a discussion... try and be nice about it man, this isnt war...

edit:edittid A minner grematicle arroer

Originally posted by [LOF]skinnylegs

Azael......which IBook are you interested in? There are 4 prices.....$1199, $1249, $1499 or $1799?

The $1499 one. I want something small that I can just toss into a backpack for when I go to work. We're keeping this Dell Inspiron (that I'm typing this on right now, btw), so in the event that I *have* to use XP, I'll be able to.

*edit*

If you're wondering about the $2500 price-objective I may have mentioned elsewhere, that's taking into consideration upping the ram to the max, getting the largest HD available, the .Mac membership, plus my wife wants an iPod. I was gonna do this all in one fell swoop. All this roughly adds up to ~around~ $2500 or so, give or take.

Bant; Consider for a moment that most of what I said were responses, and taken completely out of context. If all you're going to do is quote me and give some feeble attempt at slamming me, keep trying. We were having a discussion...thanks for butting in, Mr. Manners Police. Last time I checked, we had moderators here. They aren't complaining, and I don't see any of the active participants of this thread getting all bent out of shape, so why should you? So, if all you're gonna do is whine about how much of a meanie you think I am, go watch cartoons or something. Or better yet, make a theme.

:right:

oh come on, all i did was quote you, a quote is a quote.... its not like i snipped out parts of sentances and pieced them together. Its not this thread alone that im noticing your poor attitude, i just dont like being talked down to, and i dont like watching people talk down to others.

the responses i gave to your quotes were simply trying to point out my initial reactions to what you said. my "feeble attempt at slamming you" was not meant as a slam, it was to show you the way you are coming across to me. im so glad you can so easily insult your fellow members of this community, shows true maturity. what exactly are you insinuating when you suggest i go watch cartoons?

cant take a little constructive criticism? and how about an actual response:

is OSX.2+(or whatever its at hehe) the only OS worth bowing to? or are you explaining that buying a brand of computer based on the GUI is a waste of time?? because if thats the case.... you have some thinking to do.

i dont really think youve responded much to any of these posts... just attacked the people behind the thoughts, and dodged any real debating.

also, im curious about:

I didn't see any use for Apples until OS X came out. I felt the same way most of the Mac haters did. However, I'm not getting everything I want out of an OS with XP or Linux. Simple as that. OS X gives me everything I personally want out of an OS. If I have to use an Apple to get it, oh well.

in previous posts youve stated numerous times you WANT Apple computers, because you have the money to spend on them, and you feel they are worth it. Are you now suggesting that you just want the OS?

your purchasing a 1500$ operating system? sweet.

OS X made me pay attention to Apple, rather than just slamming them based on what I'd heard from others. I actually took the time to sit down and mess with them for awhile, and I like what I see.

There's more to my wanting of OS X than the pretty GUI. Essentially, I want the stability and power of Unix, which I *could* get from *BSD/Linux, except for the glaring inadequacies of the GUI. Within reason, OS X can run *most* *nix software, and what can't be compiled outright can be ported pretty easily. Hell, if I wanted to, I could run XFree86 on there...not that I'd really have any reason to. One other issue is hardware support under *BSD/Linux, but that situation has also been negated since OS X is essentially designed for the hardware in question. I really don't have to worry about customizing my kernel or any of the associated headaches that kernel compilization entails. I also want to maintain the ability to play the current games that I enjoy, only major one on the PC that I play is WC3, since I have a PS2 and I'd much rather do my gaming on there. But still, it'll be nice to know that I can play games should I want to. Also, there are Mac versions of most of the software that I use frequently, foremost being Office. By microsofts own admission, Office v. X is their best version of Office to date.

Another big factor is the simple fact that I'm bored with PCs. I'm bored with Linux, and I'm bored with Windows. Simple as that. I've never had a Mac, and I want to try something new. If I can essentially replace the abilities and "good points" of both those OS's while having something new to learn and tinker around with, I'm all for it. As far as the money thing goes...irreguardless of what I get, I'm spending about $2500 on a system. That's not a real issue for us. I want something that I can be interested in again. If you think that's spending $1500 on an OS, well, dunno what to say. How much is too much to spend on something you want? I'd never spend $400 on a video card...but other people wouldn't think twice about it. :rolleyes:

If I came off harsh...well, I give what I get. If I feel like I'm being attacked, I'm going to snap back.

Originally posted by ViMan

A beautiful screenshot. Who said you can't make Linux look just as good (if not better) than Windows XP?

Assuming that that's your desktop, how'd you get konsole to become transparent? I can't seem to get it to work...

Originally posted by Vlad

Assuming that that's your desktop, how'd you get konsole to become transparent? I can't seem to get it to work...

Unfortunately, it's not my desktop :(. However, if you do want transparency, I can tell you how to get it working if you are using aterm or Eterm.

1) aterm: aterm -tr

2) Eterm: eterm --trans

PS. I'll try to find out how to get transparency working under konsole and get back to you.

Well, it works...sort of. The background of the eterm console becomes the background of the desktop - I'm pretty sure I can make konsole use Eterm - but is there a way for it to be "truly" transparent?

funny i was just asking the same questions in the other linux desktop thread. apparently XFree still fakes transparency. as someone else said, it just paints what it sees behind it, and updates after a move is completed.

I've often seen the shell "embedded" into the background of Enlightment desktops...

Is there a way to do that without E? I dislike the big eye candy happy E and tend to use GNOME usually...

I've often seen the shell "embedded" into the background of Enlightment desktops...

Is there a way to do that without E? I dislike the big eye candy happy E and tend to use GNOME usually...

Originally posted by mr_da3m0n

Do you have an example so that I can better understand what you mean by: "I've often seen the shell "embedded" into the background of Enlightment desktops..." ?

Originally posted by Vlad

Here's how to get konsole transparent (it's really quite simple):

"Open "konsole". Then right click and choose Settings -> Schema --> Transparent. Save the settings by right clicking and choosing SAVE." The only trick is that you should be using KDE as your window manager/maker when you do this.

Originally posted by ViMan

Here's how to get konsole transparent (it's really quite simple):

"Open "konsole". Then right click and choose Settings -> Schema --> Transparent. Save the settings by right clicking and choosing SAVE." The only trick is that you should be using KDE as your window manager/maker when you do this.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid that's not what I meant - I mean true transparency, where you can see windows/etc behind the transparent object, not just the desktop background. I said this a few posts down...sorry you missed it.