Help me with Neowin Shift

I am having serious issues with the HTML cross-browser compatibility.

Let me explain, I coded swift (version 3) from the ground up in TABLES format and then ensured it all worked properly in Netscape and Opera with Marcel (Redmak) way back in 2001. The HTML was by no means 'compliant' but it looks the same in ALL browsers and thats the target any popular site should go for.

Now SHIFT (version 4) is coded in such a manner that it uses techniques I am unfamilair with (XHTML 1.1) it uses DIV's rather than a nested TABLE format but as you can see from the beta preview on the main site it renders ok in Firefox but it won't render properly in any other browser.

There are a few reasons for this.

The basic design is based off Neowin FINITY (version 5) which has been coded by Toxikk who is now completely AWOL and Timan ported it to a much more user friendly base of Neowin v4 then we had volunteer coders (about 3) who all seemed to code for Firefox alone, IE in this case as with any other browser has been neglected in the testing of the finished code.

We have an opening here at Neowin for a HTML programmer who can help me sort out the SHIFT theme to work cross browser.

You will need to be experienced in HTML and willing to complete code and test in the major browsers: IE6/7, Firefox, Opera and accept feedback from Safari users (on staff)

The following qualities would also help

- Javascript knowledge

- Image creation/editing (not highly important as we already have staff for this)

You would need to be able to communicate with me daily, I am on Central European Time (GMT+1)

You would be available for the next 2 months (at least)

I really do NOT need 'yes men' ie: people who say they will help and then leave me with half finished code after 2 weeks, because that has happened throughout this development. If it carries on I will simply revert the code to something I understand (nested tables)

;)

If you read all this, thats another quality I am looking for, someone who reads the whole story and understands the situation. Not someone who skims through and makes a **** poor job at what he does.

To note.. the developers working on the code at the moment are Rob and Timan (from the forums) but they both have issues for coding anything other than Firefox or Safari respectively and that, for Neowin at least is unacceptable for long term development.

Please PM me if you meet the above qualities.. saying you know 'a little HTML' will not be enough!

I'd say I'm experienced in XHTML, and the only formatting I ever learned was CSS/divs (I used tables, but only back in the frontpage days). So I'm putting out my offer. I also will/have send/sent you a OPM.

And yes, I did read the whole thing :D

Man, I'd love to help out, but I just got quite a few web projects taken on right now. I will definitely send you a PM when these jobs are finished and I've got more time. Hopefully you'll still need help at that point.

i can help with minor graphics if you need.. just contact me via pm if you need any help with minor gfx assistance -- when i say minor no redesigning logos for you or anything major like that :p

or as u say editing images i can do

I really do NOT need 'yes men' ie: people who say they will help and then leave me with half finished code after 2 weeks, because that has happened throughout this development. If it carries on I will simply revert the code to something I understand (nested tables)

That would really be a shame, I sure hope that you find somebody to help you out.

If it helps, Toxikk did update his Blog today.

I'm pretty good at XHTML, trying to teach my uncle it ATM :crazy: . I wouldn't say I'm a guru but I do tend to design for IE then get it working in Firefox not the other way around :D .

I would offer my services as I'm UK based (BST) would be available same sort of times as you but I dunno if I'm experienced enough, I would however give you 110%.

I'm an HTML & design guru but since I didn't even get a response last time you asked for volunteers, I'll not bother applying this time. Hope you find somebody who does a good job.

I'm an HTML & design guru but since I didn't even get a response last time you asked for volunteers, I'll not bother applying this time. Hope you find somebody who does a good job.

No offense but you must understand that Dan probably gets 10000 pms from idots saying they know code when a post is made like this. So it would only be normal that something would be overlooked.

No offense but you must understand that Dan probably gets 10000 pms from idots saying they know code when a post is made like this. So it would only be normal that something would be overlooked.

None taken, but his name's Steve and I'm as busy as he is.