Making the Switch!

Second time's a charm.... ok so what are the clones of these popular windows utilities:

1. Windows Update

2. Antivirus

3. Firewall (built in I think)

4. Built in FTP

5. Winrar

6. XVID/DIVX

1. It has its own built in software updater (probably part of Yum if you're using fedora)

2. You don't need one unless you're using the linux box as a server or something (to scan for windows virii). Linux virii are few and far between, chances of getting one are VERY VERY slim.

3. The built in one is good enough

4. I personally like GFTP

5. Can't remember the name of the app. It's the default one that comes with gnome, there's a library you can install so that it supports rar files.

6. I *think* the W32Codecs can handle xvid and divx.

antivirus on linux? I don't even run a antivirus on my XP X64. Only reason I could maybe see you needing one is being on a network with computers running windows.

vsftpd and proftpd are the to main ftp servers IIRC.

I looked at vsftp and it looked only to be for users of this computer.. I want to create accounts and such for people to access my files..

I installed proftpd and ran it (as a service)... how do I configure it?... i.e. where is the application?

ALSO... drivers... do I need to install them? I.E. videocard drivers (I want multiple monitors)

Edited by zackiv31

Well, that is often true. :yes:

If you want to test software in beta, sometimes they aren't in repos. You gotta decide to either wait for a more stable release, or find another means (possibly compile).

That to me is another plus of Linux. If you want to install beta software, you can just install it into your home directory or somewhere like /opt. This way you're not messing with any system files and you can keep both versions of the app in case the beta flakes out on you.

Those are solutions but I was looking for something a little more up to date... I use AutoGK for Windows...

That second article is from 2003.. :-/

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

how about DVD playing... Or an elegant all in one media player..

and a seperate mp3 player as well... give me your suggestions!

I vote for Mplayer for your all-in-one video / mp3 / WMV playing needs... you'll need the win32codec pack to get it to play them all.

Barney

Can GIMP do filters?

Also I plugged in two external USB hard drives, but it says I don't have the permissions to view the contents.. how do I give myself permissions?

Sure. Like what kind are you thinking of?

Install it and see for yourself (if your distro didn't install it already for you).

Just to mention: looking through this thread, makes me feel like you're a great learner!

Keep it up, and you'll have everything configured the way you like it in no time!

Just to mention: looking through this thread, makes me feel like you're a great learner!

Keep it up, and you'll have everything configured the way you like it in no time!

I totally agree! You have tenacity, my friend! :yes:

Barney

Also I plugged in two external USB hard drives, but it says I don't have the permissions to view the contents.. how do I give myself permissions?

What are the file system(s) on those external drives?

Everything I have (6drives total) is ntfs... i mounted the two internal ones in the fstab so they showupon boot, but the externals are USD + ntfs... Just doesn't want to giveme permissions...

What is the equivalent to Device Manager (so I can see if all drivers are installed correctly)

Everything I have (6drives total) is ntfs... i mounted the two internal ones in the fstab so they showupon boot, but the externals are USD + ntfs... Just doesn't want to giveme permissions...

What is the equivalent to Device Manager (so I can see if all drivers are installed correctly)

You still using Fedora? I know that you bounced from Ubuntu to Fedora a while back. Fedora does not ship with NTFS support - it has to be added. Sounds like you may have added it, if I am reading correctly that you are reading NTFS filesystems on your internal drives. Just want to be sure you have NTFS support in your kernel.

You can list all your drives and partitions if (as root) you do an fdisk -l (that is a lowercase letter "L" to 'list', not the number one).

/sbin/fdisk (Y)

You probably don't have /sbin/ in your $PATH

MP3 will need to be added yourself (patented, I am afraid). Dunno about the iPod thing.

Where are the PATH stored so I can add it permantenly?

Still wondering where Linux device manager is... hmmm

And whats up with cinelerra being a command line video editing?!? Wheres the gui !

And if I haven't said it yet thanks for all your help thus far neowinians!

Edited by zackiv31