• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best way to run a coaxial cable.

KC    0

I need to run a coaxial cable form the bedroom to the living room. A wall to attic fish seems next to impossible so I have been thinking about running it under the carpet. The only problem is it will need to come out of the bed room in doing so cross the door way of the bedroom, cross the carpet to tile transition of the living room and kitchen and then out across a high traffic area to get to the TV.

I know a wall fish would probably be best but I am not very mechanically gifted so I am a little afraid of doing such a job.

Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Matrix XII    38

Hmm that's a good question, I would actually like to know how to do this myself :p

samg    2

cant you just drill to outside, run it up the side of the house and bring it back in ?

Ruski    0

I need to run a coaxial cable form the bedroom to the living room. A wall to attic fish seems next to impossible so I have been thinking about running it under the carpet. The only problem is it will need to come out of the bed room in doing so cross the door way of the bedroom, cross the carpet to tile transition of the living room and kitchen and then out across a high traffic area to get to the TV.

I know a wall fish would probably be best but I am not very mechanically gifted so I am a little afraid of doing such a job.

Any tips or suggestions would be great!

What are you conecting with the coaxial cable?

From my exprenice when running coaxial cables anymore than 2 meters is pointless as they loss there quilty of sound

John    7
From my exprenice when running coaxial cables anymore than 2 meters is pointless as they loss there quilty of sound

Two meters? You've got to be kidding. You must have done something very wrong...

Ruski    0

Two meters? You've got to be kidding. You must have done something very wrong...

Well a decent coaxial cable that wont lose any sound quilty cost $50 plus a metre so i quess it depends what grade of cable you have expeniced and what sort of stuff u have

Matrix XII    38

I think you are thinking of something else? $50 a metre? :|

mAcOdIn    1

Two meters does sound low. You should have seen the ghetto cable rigging in our old barracks, splitters and massive cable lengths all over with people sharing the cable costs being in different rooms and all kinds of crazy set-ups.

I've got a plain 25 foot one in my house now just wrapped in a ball behind the TV since it was too big and it works fine as well.

If 2 meters were a problem we'd all be screwed as it's almost always further than 2 meters from the box to inside your house.

Ruski    0

I think you are thinking of something else? $50 a metre? :|

I was thinking he meant digital coaxial cables for steros, i now relise hes talking about tv signal cable

My bad

KC    0

yeah this is for a television.

Grex    4

Cool link, always wondered where someone could buy stuff like that.

you can buy stuff like this at most hardware stores. (Home Depot, Lowes)

When i do a run like this i will usally go along the wall just under the carpet. If there is bare floor i fish it or use the molding. but most customers dont like to see that.

As for the distance of Coax. You can go well over 2 meters espically with a good signal amp. In terms of attenuation, for example, RG-59 baseband cable can be run to 600 feet (200 meters), and RG-6 and RG-11 baseband cable are effective to 850 feet (270 meters) and 1200 feet (400 meters), respectively.

I use the RG-59 inside and RG-6 outside becasue of the thicker core and shielding.