Switches Trouble

Question

LukeWard7

I'm asking this for a friend as I don't know much about switches/routers. He bought a switch off ebaythis one to be exact, he bought it it thinking it was a router. He's on NTL and this is basically what he wants Modem -> Router -> PS2+Computer. I've done a bit of research and seen that normally a router goes into a switch then into whatever you want e.g a computer. Now his is question : Can he have it like this ; Modem -> Switch -> PS2+Computer? Thanks in advance.

Luke.

3 answers to this question

+BudMan

And what part of "switch" in its name vs "router" did he not understand? ;)

I would assume he is interested in a router vs a switch for security as well as connectivity.. Yes he could connect his ps2 and his computer together with the switch.. But unless his modem is really a modem/router combo or provides NAT.. or his ISP provides more than 1 IP he will not be able to get on the internet with both devices at the same time..

What is the model number of his "modem" -- quite often users think they have just a modem, and its really a modem/router combo.. or they state its a router, when in fact its a combo.. they put together (modem/router) -- router, and wonder why they can not port forward, etc..

When asking any questions about any type of device.. its a good Idea to state specific model numbers and revision number along with firmware version if known or applicable (and btw stating latest firmware is a waste of everyones time, since its rarely the case - state the actual number), etc..

LukeWard7

The modem is a ntl:250 its blue and thats I can say about it really

Edit: just found some info about NAT, BudMan :

Consider a home network that has been set-up to use IP addresses from the network 192.168.3.0 (Note: If you do not know what an IP address is, then I suggest you visit somewhere like Whatis.com and read a while;-)). One of the machines may have an address of 192.168.3.50, say, whilst your NTL address is, say, 62.255.183.229. Your 192 address is not designed to work on the Internet, so if your PC address is not changed to your NTL address then you will not be able to connect to systems on the Net. NAT ensures that all of your networked machines appear as one IP address on the Net.

The diagram below shows a very simplified view of what is happening. The NAT device will maintain a table of the connections going through it so that it can pass the correct data stream from the Internet back to the correct device on the private network.

Source Networklab

Edited by lukeronaldo7
+BudMan

Ok.. :blink: :blink: But yes.. that is what a NAT router does ;) in a nutshell

Now you understand why he needs a router vs just a switch?? Not alot of info about the ntl:250 -- and all I can say about ntlworld.com is -- well it blows as a support site.. ;)